Please help me love Nassau

MommaluvsDis

DIS Veteran
Have been to Nassau several times but have gotten no farther than the Straw Market and Atlantis. I am not impressed with Nassau but I know there has to be more to the area than just the market and Atlantis.

Can you recommend somewhere special to see or do?

Please tell me there is more to discover on Nassau.

I didn't care for the main drag in Nassau the first time we went either, but last summer we went to Blackbeard's Cay and did their Beach Break and Stingray Encounter. It was really nice. The boat ride over was very informative, the beach was lovely, and the stingray experience was cool, especially for young children who are not strong swimmers as the stingrays all congregated in a very shallow part of the beach.

Have you tried a catamaran or snorkeling excursion? We always go in Jan/Feb and it's not warm enough. Depending on the time of year you go, it might be nice to see the island from a different point of view (the water)

We like CABBAGE beach.(NOT Cable)

Not associated with any of the cruiselines excursions.

Cabs will take you there and there are always cabs waiting to take people back.

About $4 per person each way.

Locals sell shirts, wraps, hair braiding, jewelry etc. Tell them no politely a couple times and they will leave you alone.

CHEAP rum drinks---you can barter this as well.

Nice Beach in general.

We have also just walked around Nassau. It is a smelly town, at least last March it was :) I'd stick to the beach!

We have friends who live outside Nassau, and are fortunate enough that one of our friends drove us all over the entire island the last time were there--May this year.

The good news is that the Bahamas govt. is really investing in infrastructure right now. The airport has been improved. The roads are still being fixed up, but you can see that the improvement is already significant. With all the public works going on, the employment situation has improved for native Bahamians.

There's also major reconstruction going on in one of the larger resort areas (sorry, forget the name), so the resort traffic should be picking up in a year or two.

My feeling is that things are looking up for Nassau. I hope that with the increased prosperity there will be less crime to worry about, I guess time will tell on that one.

We went to one of the local fish fries for lunch, which was a lot of fun--cracked conch, fried plantain and local beer. It was pouring down rain when we were there, the restaurant staff helped us in and out the front door--we had to walk on some wood planks that had been laid down as a kind of bridge to get to the doorway!

The best part of Nassau to me is staying on the ship while others go off.....sort of a less crowded pseudo sea day for me :)

kristie03 said:
The best part of Nassau to me is staying on the ship while others go off.....sort of a less crowded pseudo sea day for me :)

That's exactly what we do! We stay on the ship and take advantage of a less crowded pool, etc. Zero interest in going to Nassau for us!

Hhhmmm, so I hearing that, other than the beaches, there really isn't much to Nassau.

Has anyone visited AnnaNicole Smith's grave? Not trying to be disrespectful, just curious.

Amen..to that !:rolleyes1 EXACTLY what we will be doing next time around.::yes::

kristie03 said:

Us too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

That's exactly what we do! We stay on the ship and take advantage of a less crowded pool, etc. Zero interest in going to Nassau for us!

Amen..to that !:rolleyes1 EXACTLY what we will be doing next time around.::yes::

Us too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

:thumbsup2

There are very few ports where I would choose to stay on the ship, and so far, Nassau isn't one of them; and I've been there four or five times.

Here's a link to another thread where I posted some ideas:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2907079&highlight=nassau

We also like to get day passes at the Sheraton at Cable Beach. Transportation over there is cheap and easy (#10 jitney) and you can stop at The Fish Fry on the way back for some good local food.

We did a city tour on our Dream cruise that included a lengthy stop at the Ardastra Gardens. We got to see some trained flamingos there and feed a bunch of lorry parrots, which was very cute. We also had time to stop at the Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle. I felt like this gave us a good sense of what the city had to offer, and it also kept us pretty safe. I definitely liked it much better than I would have just hanging around the dock or touring the straw market. The best part was that this was only a half-day excursion which began after lunchtime...so we got to have all our meals aboard the ship, we didn't spend the whole day in Nassau, AND I got to start my morning off with a port day special massage and facial at the spa ;)

I really enjoyed the Fort and Junkanoo excursion - just to learn some of the history of the island. Driving around it and seeing how the people who live there - live... made me so thankful for everything I have.

Also - everyone we met on the tour was soooo nice. They really seemed to appreciate the tourists and realize that is where most of their income comes from.

Have been to Nassau several times but have gotten no farther than the Straw Market and Atlantis. I am not impressed with Nassau but I know there has to be more to the area than just the market and Atlantis.

Can you recommend somewhere special to see or do?

Please tell me there is more to discover on Nassau.

Meh.... :confused3 Stay on the boat. :snail:

I have been to Nassau 5 times and can say: I have NEVER been to Paradise Island, Atlantis, the Straw Market, dolphin stuff or any of the party boat excursions. I also did not stay on the ship. This past trip I went snorkeling with Stuart Cove's on the south side of the island, and it was great! I've stayed at Sandals Royal Bahamian, and I am pretty sure you can get a day pass there (but they don't allow kids). A really cool place to visit is Compass Point on Love Beach for a funky island vibe: drinks, lunch and people watching.

Just get out of Nassau and visit New Providence Island. (Nassau is the name of the city, not the island.) There are lots of nice beaches, hotels with day passes, funky restaurants, small charter sailboats, etc.

And if you are a diver, Stuart Cove's operation is great. I've dived with wild dolphins and sharks there! And turtles! That beats shopping with thousands of tourists any day!

Have fun whatever you choose to do! Staying on board and chilling out is great too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter