Please help me find a good cookie receipe with crushed candy canes on top

Tink3815

DIS Veteran

:stir:
Does anyone have a good recipe for the above type of cookie? Looking for a sugar or cut out type that I can decorate by sprinkling the crushed candy cane on top. Chocolate would be fine.
Feel like baking Christmas cookies tonight but nothing to decorate with but candy canes. and do not want to have to run to the store.

Do you have powdered sugar?

You can do a regular sugar cookie made chocolate (substitute unsweetened cocoa powder for a couple of tablespoons of the flour) and make royal icing to flood the tops and then sprinkle crushed candy cane on.

Royal icing is just powdered sugar, egg white and enough water to get the consistancy you want.

You can do a regular sugar cookie made chocolate (substitute unsweetened cocoa powder for a couple of tablespoons of the flour) and make royal icing to flood the tops and then sprinkle crushed candy cane on.

Royal icing is just powdered sugar, egg white and enough water to get the consistancy you want.

thank you, that is perfect

I haven't tried these, but they look good. I have pinned them on my Pinterest board waiting to try them.

7a3d7c16-8107-458f-b695-08c1bbdfcce2.jpg

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/pe...-cookies/6978bbb7-ca78-47cf-8d3b-24b6c49dc0b7

Maggie

Royal icing-To make different colors can I use regular food coloring or do i need color paste?

Royal icing-To make different colors can I use regular food coloring or do i need color paste?

You can use regular! Or paste or gel or etc., royal icing is hard to mess up and useful for many things. :) If it's too thick, just add water by spoon; if it's too thin, add sugar - until you get a consistancy you like - which should probably be thinner than you think (it usually works best if it's flood consistancy - you put some on a cookie and it spreads out a little and evens out). It hardens when it dries.

You can also add a bit of some extract to give it a nice flavour. It doesn't taste bad on its own or anything, it's just sugar so it just tastes like... sugar. Adding a bit of vanilla or lemon or whatever extract can give cookies a little something extra.

You can use regular! Or paste or gel or etc., royal icing is hard to mess up and useful for many things. :) If it's too thick, just add water by spoon; if it's too thin, add sugar - until you get a consistancy you like - which should probably be thinner than you think (it usually works best if it's flood consistancy - you put some on a cookie and it spreads out a little and evens out). It hardens when it dries.

You can also add a bit of some extract to give it a nice flavour. It doesn't taste bad on its own or anything, it's just sugar so it just tastes like... sugar. Adding a bit of vanilla or lemon or whatever extract can give cookies a little something extra.
Thanks Cornflake-

I watched a video and she used egg whites, powdered sugar and lemon juice. Will the icing have a lemon taste??

also are the tips for piping expensive? Can I buy single? I seen one video where lady did piping using thicker icing, then used a spoon to spread the flooding icing. Do I need to pipe? This will be my first time using this type of icing.

I am SO not a baker!!! The only cookies we make are slice and bake.

But we make lots of peppermint bark this time of year. I melt chocolate chips (usually white chocolate, but sometimes we layer it over milk chocolate.) I pour it onto wax paper on top of a cookie sheet, and quickly spread it into a thin layer. Then we cover it with crushed candycanes and let it set. We break it into small pieces.

It's delicous and incredibly easy!

Tis looks so good. I will give it a try. I have white chocolate and mini candycanes. Now i just need to find a delicous recipe for sugar cookies. I have so much regular sugar, brown sugar , powdered sugar and choco to use for the holidays

You could do these but with a box of cake mix....white, chocolate or even red velvet. Mix cake mix with 2 eggs and 1/2 cup of oil (or butter if you like them more buttery) and mix in whatever you want (chips, M&M, toffee bits). I make cookies from cake mixes all the time these days. SOOOO easy.

Edited to add: Bake at 350 for 8 - 10 minutes.

Thanks Cornflake-

I watched a video and she used egg whites, powdered sugar and lemon juice. Will the icing have a lemon taste??

also are the tips for piping expensive? Can I buy single? I seen one video where lady did piping using thicker icing, then used a spoon to spread the flooding icing. Do I need to pipe? This will be my first time using this type of icing.

Yes, that'd give it a lemony taste - that's why whomever was using lemon juice instead of water, for the taste.

You don't need piping bags or tips god knows for royal icing unless you're about to get very fancy and specific (you have to be really specific with the consistancy and you'd mostly be doing fancy swirls off stuff).

You can just use a ziplock-type baggie to pipe edging or regular designs or dots. Just spoon some icing into the baggie, tilt it into a corner, hold the bag as if it were a piping bag (so the icing is squeezed into the corner and your hand is behind it) and then cut the tip of the bag edge off with scissors. For edging, you want the icing a tiny bit thicker and a smaller hole, for flooding, thinner and a larger hole.

You can buy tips if you want, to use with thicker icing and frostings - you can use them in a ziplock as well as a regular piping bag, it's just a little more persnickity with a ziplock. They're not particularly expensive but for frosting cookies, you really don't need tips - you can use a bunch of small ziplocks/sandwich baggies with different colours if you want to do designs and such.

Here's a recipe I haven't tried yet but it's in my must make sometime folder. It came from a book according to my index card that I wrote.

Candy Cane Bar Cookies

Oven at 350 with racks in middle
1 cup butter  (2 sticks, ½ pound)
1 c white granulated sugar
1 egg  whipped with a fork
¼ t peppermint extract
½ t salt
2/3 c finely crushed candy canes  measured after crushing
5 drops red food coloring
2 c flour  pack it down when measure
1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 oz)

2 c semi sweet chocolate chips (12 oz)

Melt butter in microwave for 1 min. 30 sec. on high  set on counter to cool
Place sugar in bowl of electric mixer (can be done by hand) add egg and beat until its a uniform color
Add the peppermint extract, salt, food coloring and finely crushed candy  mix it all up.
Feel butter bowl  if its comfortable to hold, add to mixing bowl (other ingredients). If its too warm to hold comfortably  wait.
Add flour in ½ c increments  mixing well after each addition
Stir in 1 cup of chocolate chips by hand (6 oz bag)
Spread batter evenly into greased (or Pammed) 9 X 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 26 min. or until it feels firm on top.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with rest of chocolate chips  immediately cover pan to keep heat in  for 3 min. Remove cover and spread chips. Cool completely and cut.

You could do these but with a box of cake mix....white, chocolate or even red velvet. Mix cake mix with 2 eggs and 1/2 cup of oil (or butter if you like them more buttery) and mix in whatever you want (chips, M&M, toffee bits). I make cookies from cake mixes all the time these days. SOOOO easy.

Edited to add: Bake at 350 for 8 - 10 minutes.

Thanks for this! Tried a few versions today. Came out great!

Yes, that'd give it a lemony taste - that's why whomever was using lemon juice instead of water, for the taste.

You don't need piping bags or tips god knows for royal icing unless you're about to get very fancy and specific (you have to be really specific with the consistancy and you'd mostly be doing fancy swirls off stuff).

You can just use a ziplock-type baggie to pipe edging or regular designs or dots. Just spoon some icing into the baggie, tilt it into a corner, hold the bag as if it were a piping bag (so the icing is squeezed into the corner and your hand is behind it) and then cut the tip of the bag edge off with scissors. For edging, you want the icing a tiny bit thicker and a smaller hole, for flooding, thinner and a larger hole.

You can buy tips if you want, to use with thicker icing and frostings - you can use them in a ziplock as well as a regular piping bag, it's just a little more persnickity with a ziplock. They're not particularly expensive but for frosting cookies, you really don't need tips - you can use a bunch of small ziplocks/sandwich baggies with different colours if you want to do designs and such.

CornFlake- you sound like you have a lot of knowledge about baking so i have one more question if you dont mind....if a recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of lemon juice do i just replace that with water right?

By any chance d o you have a recipe for sugar cookies?

I'm noticing there are 2 types of sugar cookies thin one and ones that are a lot thicker. I've only tasted the thin ones.

CornFlake- you sound like you have a lot of knowledge about baking so i have one more question if you dont mind....if a recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of lemon juice do i just replace that with water right?

By any chance d o you have a recipe for sugar cookies?

I'm noticing there are 2 types of sugar cookies thin one and ones that are a lot thicker. I've only tasted the thin ones.

Anytime - I love baking! :) If it's the royal icing recipe, yep, just swap for water. If it's another recipe, it may want acid (acid + baking soda = lift, in stuff that doesn't have other risers), depends.

Yeah, there are generally sugar cookies drop cookies, which tend to be from thinner and crisper and more light/buttery (like a chocolate chip cookie without the chips) to the snickerdoodle, and chilled ones that you roll out and can cut into shapes which can also be thin but people often make thicker. You can chill drop dough and slice and other stuff but in general.

I'm assuming you want cookies you can roll out (based on the icing thing) - I generally use the Joy of Cooking recipe. I like their basic recipes; they work and are the classic classics imo. I've been making these since I was a kid. This is it -

Preheat oven to 350.

1 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (you can do lemon or almond or whatever if you prefer)

If you want the dough itself to be a particular colour, you can add food colouring (any type) to the dough at the end. Remember the colour will fade/change a bit in the baking process.

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, baking powder and salt. Mix until well combined. Slowly add flour and stir until smooth. Don't overmix. Chill dough.

It'll work better if you divide the dough into two or three or even four sections and pat into flat rounds in saran or the like before you put into the fridge. Then you have to chill for less time and you work with less at a time so it's less likely to get too warm.

Take a round of dough out once chilled and roll out on a lightly floured or sugared (you can use confectioner's sugar) surface to 1/8-1/4" thick. Cut out desired shapes, place on parchment-lined cookie sheet with spatula if needed. Put scraps into a ball and put back into the fridge while you work on the next chilled disc. You can stick the sheet into the fridge to wait if possible. If you have extra dough, or want to make a giant batch, you can wrap a disc tightly in saran and freeze for a month or so. Just thaw overnight in the fridge and proceed as usual.

Bake 9-12 minutes, until edges have a little colour but cookies are still pale. Cool on rack. Decorate when cool.

If you don't want to deal with rolling and cutting, you can form the dough into log shapes and wrap tightly in saran and chill well (if I do this, I'll sometimes stick it in the freezer for a half hour after chilling, so it's even firmer), and then slice them to your desired thickness, like you would cookie dough from the market - just better! ;) You can then decorate those rounds, or do stuff like roll the edges or cover the tops in coloured sanding sugar or cinnamon sugar or whatever before baking.

Anytime - I love baking! :) If it's the royal icing recipe, yep, just swap for water. If it's another recipe, it may want acid (acid + baking soda = lift, in stuff that doesn't have other risers), depends.

Yeah, there are generally sugar cookies drop cookies, which tend to be from thinner and crisper and more light/buttery (like a chocolate chip cookie without the chips) to the snickerdoodle, and chilled ones that you roll out and can cut into shapes which can also be thin but people often make thicker. You can chill drop dough and slice and other stuff but in general.

I'm assuming you want cookies you can roll out (based on the icing thing) - I generally use the Joy of Cooking recipe. I like their basic recipes; they work and are the classic classics imo. I've been making these since I was a kid. This is it -

Preheat oven to 350.

1 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (you can do lemon or almond or whatever if you prefer)

If you want the dough itself to be a particular colour, you can add food colouring (any type) to the dough at the end. Remember the colour will fade/change a bit in the baking process.

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, baking powder and salt. Mix until well combined. Slowly add flour and stir until smooth. Don't overmix. Chill dough.

It'll work better if you divide the dough into two or three or even four sections and pat into flat rounds in saran or the like before you put into the fridge. Then you have to chill for less time and you work with less at a time so it's less likely to get too warm.

Take a round of dough out once chilled and roll out on a lightly floured or sugared (you can use confectioner's sugar) surface to 1/8-1/4" thick. Cut out desired shapes, place on parchment-lined cookie sheet with spatula if needed. Put scraps into a ball and put back into the fridge while you work on the next chilled disc. You can stick the sheet into the fridge to wait if possible. If you have extra dough, or want to make a giant batch, you can wrap a disc tightly in saran and freeze for a month or so. Just thaw overnight in the fridge and proceed as usual.

Bake 9-12 minutes, until edges have a little colour but cookies are still pale. Cool on rack. Decorate when cool.

If you don't want to deal with rolling and cutting, you can form the dough into log shapes and wrap tightly in saran and chill well (if I do this, I'll sometimes stick it in the freezer for a half hour after chilling, so it's even firmer), and then slice them to your desired thickness, like you would cookie dough from the market - just better! ;) You can then decorate those rounds, or do stuff like roll the edges or cover the tops in coloured sanding sugar or cinnamon sugar or whatever before baking.

Thank you so much. I might do the 2nd version since it might be faster. I thought I had a Christmas cookie cutters but those are missing from my box. I might just do round cookies and do the icing in red , some in green or sprinkles . I guess it will depend on time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter