Please help me decide...Boardwalk vs Kidani

vdub322

Are we there yet?
I am trying to weigh out the pros and cons and pick a resort for our January trip. We are DVC members (since February) and this will be our second trip. Our first was a split stay between BLT (1 BR Lake View) and Kidani (1 BR Savannah view). Five nights at BLT, then three nights at Kidani.

We decided to go back in January 2013 and upgraded our tickets to APs. This trip is using half the points that our spring 2012 trip cost. We had booked value accommodations at Jambo for six nights but we need to change that for several reasons. (undesirable dates, expensive flights, only six nights instead of seven) We have narrowed it down to the following...

1. Boardwalk Villas, 1 BR standard view for seven nights, 1/24-1/31

2. Kidani Village, 1 BR standard view for seven nights, 1/24-1/31

It's so hard for us to decide. Kidani wins out for the amazing theming and extra bathroom. We much prefer the decor of the rooms here. We have been to Atlantic City (and other northern beaches) many times and the decor at the Boardwalk does nothing for us. But Boardwalk wins out for the amazing location. We might fly this time and not have our car, so it would be awesome to not have to rely totally on buses. We love World Showcase, and we spent a lot of time at DHS on our last trip. We LOVE the pool at Kidani (the clown pool, not so much), but that's not a deciding factor in January.

We already have stayed at Kidani (AKV is our home resort) and we know we love it. That second bathroom and the sleeper chair are very nice, but we wouldn't have a special view this time. My kids are 10 years apart in age, but they don't mind sharing a fold out couch.

I guess it comes down to going with what we know or trying something new. If we pick Kidani I know we will have a very similar trip to our last one. We ate at Boma and Sanaa and loved both. If we pick Boardwalk, we will have a different trip and eat at different places. I've only ever seen the Boardwalk/Beach/Yacht Club area from the boats between Epcot and DHS, but I would like to eat at Kouzzina, Flying Fish, Cape May, etc.

Sorry for going on and on, but I would love to hear from people who have any advice or love one of these resorts over the other. Thanks so much for any help!

I would try Boardwalk if I were you. The entire Boardwalk area is really lovely and fun, so if you have only seen it from the boat, you don't know what you're missing. The ability to walk to 2 parks is pretty terrific, too!

I have stayed at BWI and AKL - with DVC and without... My preference by far is BWI. I am just not an AK person - the view does nothing for me and I find it depressing for me. However since you know you love the AK side you might feel that way at BW. And let me tellyou, there is nothing worse than not liking your resort. I am big into a resort being a big part of our vacation, etc. What I typically do is 7 nights at my FAVE and tag on a night somewhere new to see how it fits. You might love BW you might hate it...My issue with DVC is how rare the properties are updated..they tend to show wear to me...so was BWV updated recently? I don't know...

Bottom line, go with your gut...For me I would do a split stay, we do them every year without fail and love it...4 nights at BW 3 nights AK. Do the shakey one first on a split stay or 6 nights AK and 1 night BW

Thanks for the advice!

We are definitely leaning toward Boardwalk. We did a split stay last time (and it went well!) but we want to stay in one place this time. I am interested to hear from people who love Boardwalk because so many people seem to love it. The rooms look dated to us, but we spent our first trip at newer properties, BLT and Kidani. We loved the convenience of walking to MK while at BLT and we LOVE World Showcase. It's so hard to go outside your comfort zone sometimes!

I find the Boardwalk to be "dead" in January but if you are planning to spend a lot of time in the parks, I'd still pick BWV for location. Kidani is my favorite DVC resort so it's a tough choice.

Kidani is my favorite resort. We love the theme, the animals, the extra bathroom, the overall experience you get at this resort.

We have also stayed at BWV and did enjoy it--the location, being able to walk to the parks, the additional transportation options, and the boardwalk setup with additional quick dining options.

If you are wanting to try something new, I would not hesitate to try BWV. For us, it usually comes done to point costs and what we want to spend and availability at the time.

I find the Boardwalk to be "dead" in January but if you are planning to spend a lot of time in the parks, I'd still pick BWV for location. Kidani is my favorite DVC resort so it's a tough choice.

Kidani is my favorite resort. We love the theme, the animals, the extra bathroom, the overall experience you get at this resort.

We have also stayed at BWV and did enjoy it--the location, being able to walk to the parks, the additional transportation options, and the boardwalk setup with additional quick dining options.

If you are wanting to try something new, I would not hesitate to try BWV. For us, it usually comes done to point costs and what we want to spend and availability at the time.

Thanks for your input! Since this is an "in-between" trip, we are working with less points than we would during our usual trips. We feel fortunate to have such good options for seven nights with our remaining points. I KNOW that we will go back to AKL, but I think I need to use this opportunity to check out something new! :cool1:

As someone else said, Boardwalk does seem to be dead in the winter, but I'd stay there rather than Kidani.

I thought Kidani felt very far away from everything.

Boardwalk is right in the middle of many things..Epcot, HS,YC, BC, and I did like that aspect of staying there.

We have stayed at and greatly enjoyed both, but prefer BWV. No, I don't think the rooms are as nice as Kidani, but it is a lovely resort and it is soooo nice to to be able to just walk around the Boardwalk, to BC, Epcot and DHS. BW and BC are definitely our 2 favorite resorts, mainly because of location.

Is the standard view even available at the BWV this late? It usually gets booked up early on. (I was correct, not available).

You'll be booking KV if that is what you want. Not the BWV.

Is the standard view even available at the BWV this late? It usually gets booked up early on. (I was correct, not available).

You'll be booking KV if that is what you want. Not the BWV.

I booked the BWV Standard View just now, so I'm not sure why it was showing you not available. Every time I checked in the past few days it was always available or I wouldn't even have been considering it.

So excited to try out a new place in January! Thanks for the advice everyone!

We are also DVC members and Animal Kingdom is our home resort. Obviously we love it. However, I will never stay at Kidani village again. We had to walk so far to do anything the one time we stayed there which is tough with a 3 year old. I just don't like it, but thats us. So for me, I'd do boardwalk but it sounds like you've stayed at Kidani and like it. I would probably still do boardwalk to try something new. we've never stayed there.

We are also DVC members and Animal Kingdom is our home resort. Obviously we love it. However, I will never stay at Kidani village again. We had to walk so far to do anything the one time we stayed there which is tough with a 3 year old. I just don't like it, but thats us. So for me, I'd do boardwalk but it sounds like you've stayed at Kidani and like it. I would probably still do boardwalk to try something new. we've never stayed there.

We did change to Boardwalk and we are very excited about it! We did enjoy Kidani and the walking didn't really bother us. We were all the way down past the Zazu elevators so our walk to Jambo House was relatively short, but the walk to the pool and lobby was longer. We have a 3 year old and we didn't have any issues with her and the walking, but I could see how some kids might. I guess it's good the walking didn't bother me at Kidani because I have read the hallways at BWV can be long too. We are excited about BoardWalk though and really looking forward to walking to Epcot! :cool1:

We decide based on which Park we plan to spend the most time. We usually spend most of our time at Epcot so Boardwalk is best for us....even though AK has bar far (in my opinion) the best lobby and rooms. The food is also very interesting because it has the African theme...but the bus service back and forth from everywhere was tough - specially at the end of the day when you are tired....

I am trying to weigh out the pros and cons and pick a resort for our January trip. We are DVC members (since February) and this will be our second trip. Our first was a split stay between BLT (1 BR Lake View) and Kidani (1 BR Savannah view). Five nights at BLT, then three nights at Kidani.

We decided to go back in January 2013 and upgraded our tickets to APs. This trip is using half the points that our spring 2012 trip cost. We had booked value accommodations at Jambo for six nights but we need to change that for several reasons. (undesirable dates, expensive flights, only six nights instead of seven) We have narrowed it down to the following...

1. Boardwalk Villas, 1 BR standard view for seven nights, 1/24-1/31

2. Kidani Village, 1 BR standard view for seven nights, 1/24-1/31

It's so hard for us to decide. Kidani wins out for the amazing theming and extra bathroom. We much prefer the decor of the rooms here. We have been to Atlantic City (and other northern beaches) many times and the decor at the Boardwalk does nothing for us. But Boardwalk wins out for the amazing location. We might fly this time and not have our car, so it would be awesome to not have to rely totally on buses. We love World Showcase, and we spent a lot of time at DHS on our last trip. We LOVE the pool at Kidani (the clown pool, not so much), but that's not a deciding factor in January.

We already have stayed at Kidani (AKV is our home resort) and we know we love it. That second bathroom and the sleeper chair are very nice, but we wouldn't have a special view this time. My kids are 10 years apart in age, but they don't mind sharing a fold out couch.

I guess it comes down to going with what we know or trying something new. If we pick Kidani I know we will have a very similar trip to our last one. We ate at Boma and Sanaa and loved both. If we pick Boardwalk, we will have a different trip and eat at different places. I've only ever seen the Boardwalk/Beach/Yacht Club area from the boats between Epcot and DHS, but I would like to eat at Kouzzina, Flying Fish, Cape May, etc.

Sorry for going on and on, but I would love to hear from people who have any advice or love one of these resorts over the other. Thanks so much for any help!

My favorite resort is Kidani, then Jambo and then Wilderness lodge/villas.
If you are only considering standard view at Kidani, then go ahead and go to the Boardwalk. Reasons: 1. You have been to Kidani 2. Your points are best used with a savannah view 3. Boardwalk will be new, a great walking location to EPCOT and DHStudios, and the views are lateral moves. Have a great trip!:banana:

Boardwalk Villas location is just tremendous. Being able to walk to DHS and EPCOT is amazing - and if you feel like it, hop on the monrail over to MK from the EPCOT entrance. I love not being tied to the bus.

Lots of good food choices over at EPCOT and at the Boardwalk itself.

I found the BWV rooms to be just fine - I think they refurbished them a couple of years back.

I personally would go with Boardwalk.

The closeness to two parks, the nightime atmosphere can not be beat!

And you can explore Epcot Resort area - Take the boat around, etc.

It is a beautiful resort in a GREAT location!!

AKL is far from everything - except AK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter