Please help me decide between direct or resale.

Actually, there are agencies out there that appear to considerably streamline the rental process, and there are many threads on this board which talk about renting points. I have not used these services, but I'm sure others can chime in. I just wanted to let people know that there is a process in which their resale points can be used for these options and, in most cases, taking the time for this extra step can put sometimes save them considerable money. It just depends on the usual tradeoff - money versus time. In the case of resale purchases, it certainly takes more time. However, this extra time can translate into saving thousands of dollars. In the case of renting points, it does indeed take a bit more time and effort. For some, potentially saving hundreds of dollars on an upcoming vacation will make the extra step well worth it. Others may not care about saving money at all. Others may have just gotten information from their "guides" and may not know the poor value of using their points for anything other than non-DVC resort reservations.
I certainly agree with you about letting people know their options. Knowledge is power!
Just purchased points at Saratoga Springs today directly from Disney. After 6 years of sitting on the fence to decide I finally made the move today . I received points banked from 2014 to match the purchased 2015. I have placed three bids in with two different resale companies since June and all were ROFR'd. I have come to the opinion that certain properties are being scooped up by Disney in order to have a bigger inventory/incentive.
I know that I paid a higher price but I am happy with my decision. I am not rich and saved up this money for a long time. Its a box checked on my bucket list! As someone said in a recent blog I read, purchasing DVC is not so much an investment as it is a feeling of happy.

Just purchased points at Saratoga Springs today directly from Disney. After 6 years of sitting on the fence to decide I finally made the move today . I received points banked from 2014 to match the purchased 2015. I have placed three bids in with two different resale companies since June and all were ROFR'd. I have come to the opinion that certain properties are being scooped up by Disney in order to have a bigger inventory/incentive.
I know that I paid a higher price but I am happy with my decision. I am not rich and saved up this money for a long time. Its a box checked on my bucket list! As someone said in a recent blog I read, purchasing DVC is not so much an investment as it is a feeling of happy.
You probably didn't get banked points on a direct purchase. You just might be still in your 2014 UY, so maybe October or December UY (or September if you purchased before Tuesday).

You probably didn't get banked points on a direct purchase. You just might be still in your 2014 UY, so maybe October or December UY (or September if you purchased before Tuesday).
Yes Deb and Bill. that's exactly what I was thinking too. It is December UY so you are correct. I just called them "banked" so I don't confuse my family trying to explain. lol. Thanks so much. Always enjoy reading your posts. In any event, I AM A HAPPY CAMPER. Poorer, but happy!

Yes Deb and Bill. that's exactly what I was thinking too. It is December UY so you are correct. I just called them "banked" so I don't confuse my family trying to explain. lol. Thanks so much. Always enjoy reading your posts. In any event, I AM A HAPPY CAMPER. Poorer, but happy!
Congratulations on your big purchase, it sounds like you have been working towards it for a long time and you deserve every minute of it! Enjoy :)!

December can be tricky. Everyone is talking about the current calendar year, like 2015, but you are still in 2014 UY until Nov 30, 2015. We have a Dec contract and two Sept contracts and we make them work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter