Please help me decide- Aulani or DL

bayareadisneyland

Mouseketeer
Looking to travel this fall (Sept or Nov). Have a 4 yo and 1 yo. I'm still waking up at night w/ my little one so DL seems exhausting- I'm usually so excited about planning but not as much this time around. Aulani seems so relaxing but I think my kids would get more out of DL at their ages?

Soooo- what ages are better for Aulani vs DL?

Looking to travel this fall (Sept or Nov). Have a 4 yo and 1 yo. I'm still waking up at night w/ my little one so DL seems exhausting- I'm usually so excited about planning but not as much this time around. Aulani seems so relaxing but I think my kids would get more out of DL at their ages?

Soooo- what ages are better for Aulani vs DL?

I think it depends, which I guess is the answer to every question, LOL.

My kids are currently 4 1/2 and 2 1/2. We went to Hawaii (Marriott Ko Olina, not Aulani but next door) when they were 2 1/2 and 11 months, and to be honest it wasn't all that great. I'm assuming you live in the California Bay Area like us given your username. The flight over there was pretty miserable. I think the problem with Hawaii for us specifically is that our kids at the time didn't really like playing in the water or on the beach (though they love the pool now), so it was hard for us to keep them entertained. Ko Olina is also a bit of a drive to Honolulu and other attractions, and because of their nap schedules, it was really hard to go out and plan non-resort activities, but they didn't really like anything on the resort either, so you can see the problem. Even when left the resort to explore the island a bit, they didn't really have a good time and wasn't really worth the effort.

If your kids love playing in the water, you would probably have a much better experience. Aulani is a different resort as well, so maybe staying there would have been better, but for our kids at the time I don't think it would have made a difference. I think if we went now, they would have a much better time. Your kids also have a slightly bigger age difference then ours, so it also might be feasible to split up with the kids if you are traveling with another adult.

I have not been to DLR with the kiddos yet, but we are going in September. We go to Southern California frequently to visit my in-laws, and I much prefer driving for 6-7 hours than flying to Hawaii. But based on our previous trips (we've been to Legoland Florida and California, San Diego, New York, DC with the kiddos), I think the keys to going to DLR or any vacation with kiddos is not to expect too much. Don't expect to hit every single ride and to hit rope drop every day and go park commando. Don't get too frustrated if all they want to do is play in the play areas (that's what happened when we went to the SD Zoo, all they wanted to do was play on this crappy play structure, lol). If that doesn't sound appealing to you, then maybe DLR isn't a great option either.

One advantage of Southern California is that if DLR is not fun, there's all kinds of other stuff you could do. Maybe you could do 1-2 days at Disneyland, then spend the rest of the time doing other things (or even just relaxing) if it turns out DLR is just not working. Beaches, playgrounds, there's the new Great Wolf Lodge in Garden Grove (indoor water park), museums, parks, etc.

Edit: I will say that Legoland is an awesome place to take little kiddos. After the aforementioned Hawaii trip, my wife really didn't want to take any vacations anymore, but we decided to spend a 4-5 days at Legoland Hotel, and it was great and really helped make her excited again about vacations. It's pretty much the easiest vacation you can take with little kids. We would get up, go to the free breakfast buffet, walk 2 minutes to the park. They get tired, easy to go back and take nap. They love the zero entry pool there. In the evening when the park was closed, they could play for hours in the hotel lobby. Eat at the hotel restaurant in the evening. Never left the hotel/park. And my kids love Legoland. Some parents would probably go insane doing this for 5 days, but we loved it because it was so easy.

Last edited:
I have not been to DLR with the kiddos yet, but we are going in September. We go to Southern California frequently to visit my in-laws, and I much prefer driving for 6-7 hours than flying to Hawaii. But based on our previous trips (we've been to Legoland Florida and California, San Diego, New York, DC with the kiddos), I think the keys to going to DLR or any vacation with kiddos is not to expect too much. Don't expect to hit every single ride and to hit rope drop every day and go park commando. Don't get too frustrated if all they want to do is play in the play areas (that's what happened when we went to the SD Zoo, all they wanted to do was play on this crappy play structure, lol). If that doesn't sound appealing to you, then maybe DLR isn't a great option either.

Depends on the kid I guess. We've spent time in zoos and museums, and often as a toddler it would come down to finding a playground or kiddie play area. My kid loves trains, but at the California Railroad Museum, most of the time was spent upstairs at the wooden train tables.

However, I would say Disneyland was different. My kid knew of Mickey Mouse through lots of picture books and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. We said we were going to "Mickey's House". As soon as characters like Mickey and Donald were walking around and posing for pictures, my kid was hooked. Another thing my kid was floored at was Autopia. Even at just under 3 and not being able to reach the gas pedal, my kid could tell that it was a real car and that the steering wheel actually did something.

Your kids are young, I can see Aulani being a more relaxing vacation - less running around and less to pack and bring all over the place.

Where are you coming from? If it matters.....

Depends on the kid I guess. We've spent time in zoos and museums, and often as a toddler it would come down to finding a playground or kiddie play area. My kid loves trains, but at the California Railroad Museum, most of the time was spent upstairs at the wooden train tables.

However, I would say Disneyland was different. My kid knew of Mickey Mouse through lots of picture books and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. We said we were going to "Mickey's House". As soon as characters like Mickey and Donald were walking around and posing for pictures, my kid was hooked. Another thing my kid was floored at was Autopia. Even at just under 3 and not being able to reach the gas pedal, my kid could tell that it was a real car and that the steering wheel actually did something.

Yeah, as I said I've never been to Disneyland with the kids, so I hope you're right! I suspect there is a very high chance my kids (especially my son, who is older) will not want to go on any rides. But if they don't, I'm happy as long as the kids are having a good time and we spend time together, whether that's riding rides or just walking around looking at stuff, doesn't matter much to me (although I plan to sneak on some rides during their naptime if they don't want to go on any :D ).

Yeah, as I said I've never been to Disneyland with the kids, so I hope you're right! I suspect there is a very high chance my kids (especially my son, who is older) will not want to go on any rides. But if they don't, I'm happy as long as the kids are having a good time and we spend time together, whether that's riding rides or just walking around looking at stuff, doesn't matter much to me (although I plan to sneak on some rides during their naptime if they don't want to go on any :D ).
My son is 8 and he does not love the rides at Disneyland. He much prefers LEGOLAND. It's definitely frustrating for me. But, last year we did a trip, just he and I, and I got him hooked on Pirates so that made me very happy! We also spent almost an entire day just hunting for pressed pennies. It was so fun and we filled our book! We also watched all the parades twice over and he was blown away by Fantasmic! (so sad it's down right now). So, there is so much more to DLR than just rides for the little ones!

OP, if you decide to do DLR, I would suggest staying onsite at either the DLH or GCH. It will be so convenient for you to go back to your room for naps and swim breaks and it will feel much more like a relaxing vacation that way. We like to do rope drop so we have practically an empty park the first few hours of the morning and then go back to the hotel to relax after lunch. You may also want to consider a character breakfast if you think your kids would enjoy that.

I am a firm believer that DLR is great for any age. Good luck with your decision!

I would vote for Aulani. They have pools, kid splash area and the ocean, which is very calm. They also have a kids club where they can go for a time while you do adults things.
Aulani was the most relaxing vacation I have ever been on and I have been on Disney cruise 8 times.
DLR is not fun if the kids don't like the rides.

Either would be great. I did DL with an 18 month old & 4 month old this year.
Stay in a suite that's my best tip!

DL. Get a stroller. Many of the offsite hotels are as closer or closer than staying onsite...

With that age spread, Aulani.

You can put the four year old in childcare during the day (included), so if the 1 year old is waking up at night and you want to nap with them, that's an option.

My boys are almost 2 years apart, and I found Disneyland after my younger one turned one to be difficult. He got cranky spending too long in the stroller (as opposed to when he was a baby and didn't really care), and then the older one was tall enough to go on rides that his younger brother couldn't do. So it felt as though neither of them was very happy because their needs were so different. Aulani has a calmed beach, and a cool water playground. You can sign the 4 yo up for activities during the day to give you a break and spend some time with your younger one, and taking a tube down the lazy river is always fun.

I have a now 4yo and 5.5yo. We have done Disneyland many, many times, starting when they were about 9 months and just past 2yo. We went to Aulani a year ago last spring when they were almost 3 and 4.5. We have also traveled quite a bit with them to other places. Aulani was probably the most relaxing trip we had taken to date at the time. They were old enough to love the pools, lazy river and beach, not be running off all the time and have to be chased down, and enjoyed some of the activities like lei making, the Ipad scavenger hunt thing, and other Disney touches. Neither had an interest being at Auntys Beach House despite us doing a tour, so we never used that feature. That said, we would never have gone when either of them was 1. Way too expensive when both kids couldn't really get much out of it (focusing on your 1yo in particular), way too much work dealing with swim diapers, a new "walker" who didn't want to stay in one spot ever, eating sand, crawling into the ocean, etc. If your 1 yo is less active and more chill than mine, or you know he/she loves floating in the water in float things so you can actually relax a bit, then your experience might be way better. On the other hand, they both did Disneyland really well from early on. We found places to let them run around and get out their energy, worked the strategies to lessen wait times for rides, and they both just loved everything going on. Naps were easy as they would sleep in the stroller, or we would head back for a hotel break. My hunch for Aulani is one of you would spend a lot of time in the hotel room with the 1 yo, while the other one enjoyed things with your 4yo. Maybe that totally works for your family so then Aulani might work great for you. But for me we typically try to do things we can do more together than apart when on vacation. My husband and I have also done a lot of cruises (not Disney) but not yet with the kids. We have two good sleepers, and no one naps anymore, but with the age span you have and night wake ups, I personally can not imagine doing that with everyone in a fairly small cruise boat cabin. Unless you can afford a larger one with more space to spread out, I always envisioned the whole family being up at night, or having to be quiet or stuck in the cabin for naps when my kids were younger. In the end it really comes down to your kids personalities and what you are wanting to get out of the vacation. Let's face it, any vacation with little kids really is never that much of a vacation, lol! But that doesn't mean you can't have a lot of fun wherever you end up!

I think ANY trip with a 1 year old is exhausting! We've done both over the years with our kids (now 7, 6 and almost 2). We've opted not to go to Aulani while our youngest is still a toddler. I dread the thought of chasing a crawler/ toddler around as they try and beeline for every body of water. Much better to wait till they can fully enjoy the splash pad/ menehune bridge. Also take into account the travel time/ length of flight/ time zones, depending on where you live. DL is a ton of work, but if you have enough days there you can take it really slow with lots of afternoon breaks at the hotel. The magic of taking a 4 year old is something special too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter