Please Help little girl in search of shells!

RosieQ

Earning My Ears
My 9 year old's dream is to go to a beach, see the ocean and collect shells. Can anyone help? We would like someplace close to Orlando as we are directionaly challanged. LOL! Nice clean sand would be great also !

We just returned from Orlando last night. We went to Melborne,FL to see the ocean and get seashells. It is about 60 miles southeast on 192 from Kissimee. It was very beautiful, the road ends and you are about 15 feet from the ocean. There are parking meters, and we just walk to the beach. I think Daytona beach is only 60 miles northeast, however it was spring break and we opted for the less crowded. It was very peaceful there, not alot of people. Good Luck.

Although it is a 4-5 hour drive, Sanibel Island has the greatest number of shells of any Florida beach. Picking up shells is known as the Sanibel Stoop!

Otherwise, the closest beaches are 30 miles to the west and east. You can go 30 miles east to Cocoa Beach and 30 miles west to Tampa for their beaches.

guy.gif

Barry Hom
The moderator formerly known as Barry aka usagi
Moderator, Universal and Sea World Boards

"If you were me, you'd be good looking."

about other suggestions for shells, white clean beaches without drunken spring breakers, preferably north of orlando on the gulf side

Another vote for Sanibel (near Fort Myers). Because of the way it sits in the current an UNBELIEVABLE amount of shells wash up, and other interesting things like dead sharks, sting rays and jelly fish! Very low key place, a bit pricey, so it's no spring break destination.

Go to St. Pete's Beach and take the shuttle boat early in the morning[around 10:00am] to Shell Island. This is a small island right off the coast and it takes about 10 minutes by shuttle boat to get there. You can pick up lots of really nice shells, sometimes even unusual ones. Have Fun! :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter