Please help! Kindle or Nook?

PrinceCharmingsMom

DIS Veteran
I know nothing about these and want/need one to use for school and paersonal. What is the best one...what are their differences? Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA!

It really depends on what you want.

I went with the kindle. I went with the kindle because I *love* Amazon's customer support. I appreciate them as a company. I trust them not to go out of business. And I love the kindle's ease of use, freebies, and generally lower prices. And the fact that its' NOT backlit. That was huge to me.

I know other people have gone with the nook because they wanted to be able to use it with the library or they wanted the backlit screen (which the new version has).

I would try to talk anyone into the kindle, but that's because that's what I love most :) The largest argument I see against it is the library lending, but honestly I've got over 100 free books sitting on my kindle right now to read. Not classics (which are free for ANY e-reader through sites like Project Gutenberg) but sale/promotional items that are current. And those are only the ones I haven't read yet... I filed away the ones I have read in their appropriate 'collection' on my kindle (another aspect I love, I don't know if the nook has this yet, but with the kindle you can have collections, kind of like folders but really with a tagging system)

Whichever you go with, I've yet to meet anyone really unsatisfied with their e-reader if they bought it going into it looking at is as if it were a book. It's a gadget yet, but primarily... it's just something to read on :) Good luck and happy reading! :goodvibes

I filed away the ones I have read in their appropriate 'collection' on my kindle (another aspect I love, I don't know if the nook has this yet, but with the kindle you can have collections, kind of like folders but really with a tagging system)

The Kindle collection system is pretty poor IMHO. The sony reader does collections much better than the Kindle.

Well...I HAD decided on the Kindle. But, right now I am a little upset with Amazon's initial stand on allowing the purchase of the "Pedophile's Guide" for Kindle. I am fully aware of and support freedom of speach, so no flames. However, I just read that Amazon has reconsidered and has now dumped this twisted rag. So, I may reconsider. While we all have freedom of speech, I have freedom to spend my money were I want.

Here's the latest if anyone is curious:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40129858/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/40074971

Well...I HAD decided on the Kindle. But, right now I am a little upset with Amazon's initial stand on allowing the purchase of the "Pedophile's Guide" for Kindle. I am fully aware of and support freedom of speach, so no flames. However, I just read that Amazon has reconsidered and has now dumped this twisted rag. So, I may reconsider. While we all have freedom of speech, I have freedom to spend my money were I want.

Here's the latest if anyone is curious:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40129858/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/40074971

I understand - I'm having the same issues. While I commend Amazon for ultimately making the decision to pull the book, this incident has brought to light that Amazon has a history of selling disgusting and objectionable material in the interest of avoiding cencorship. Guess I've been living under a rock but I had no idea there was such material available, let alone that Amazon was selling it. The fact that it took multiple threats of boycotts to get them to pull the book makes their final decision less impressive IMO. Amazon is a private retailer and their censorship argument is just nonsense. They weren't preventing the author from writing whatever he pleased and he could certainly have distributed his smut elsewhere. I've worked in a public library and even there the directors can limit what is available on library shelves - they can't feasibly purchase every book published and make decisions everyday about which new books to purchase and on which ones to pass. Call that censorship if you want but it's really just simple economics. If a public entity can justify not offering a particular book, a private company certainly can do so.

All that said, I had already ordered a Kindle for DS's big Christmas gift before this whole thing came up and now have to make a decision on whether or not to keep it and continue to do business with Amazon. The biggest selling point for us was that the Kindle is not backlit and since DS has significant issues with his eyesight, this is really important. Are there any other e-readers that are NOT backlit?

I just wanted to add that the Nook is not backlit- only the Nook Color is backlit. You might want to go to nookboards.com and check out their forums for Nook info. One of the biggest selling features for Nooks (for me) is that you can get ebooks from your library for FREE- that alone will save me hundreds of dollars. Definitely check out the refurbished Nooks that are out there from B&N (at B&N.com and eBay)- they have the exact same warranty as a new one and can save you nearly half the money if you can get it priced right.

I just wanted to add that the Nook is not backlit- only the Nook Color is backlit. You might want to go to nookboards.com and check out their forums for Nook info. One of the biggest selling features for Nooks (for me) is that you can get ebooks from your library for FREE- that alone will save me hundreds of dollars. Definitely check out the refurbished Nooks that are out there from B&N (at B&N.com and eBay)- they have the exact same warranty as a new one and can save you nearly half the money if you can get it priced right.

Thank you. I was just coming back to post that I'd realized that it's the newer Nook that is backlit. I think that DS and I have about decided to return the Kindle and order a Nook.:thumbsup2

The non-backlit screen of the Kindle is far superior to the non-backlit screen of the Nook. It's even far superior to the earlier Kindles. The collection feature is really nice on the Kindle. I haven't played with Sony's - but the equivalent Sony product (wifi plus collections plus sharper screen contrast) is $299.

All that being said... and arguments about the companies themselves aside... I was recently out of the country and the most reliable internet connection I had in the middle of nowhere was.... my Kindle 2G. When they say free global wireless 3G... they mean it. I was able to get and send email when neither my smartphone nor my netbook would. Of course... I only brought along my Kindle to read but it ended up being quite the communication lifesaver!

Also... a note on backlighting. I have the Kindle app on my iPad and the reading experience on the Kindle is far superior. My younger DD has a Sony e-reader currently, but both kids are getting Kindles for Christmas.

If your son has significant eye issues then the better screen of the Kindle would be easier than the screen of the older Nook. The only other reader that is not backlit that has the better contrast like the Kindle is the newest Sony line... a bit more expensive, but if your son's eyesight is the main factor, not such a big deal.

Thank you. I was just coming back to post that I'd realized that it's the newer Nook that is backlit. I think that DS and I have about decided to return the Kindle and order a Nook.:thumbsup2

I would try to talk anyone into the kindle, but that's because that's what I love most :) The largest argument I see against it is the library lending, but honestly I've got over 100 free books sitting on my kindle right now to read.

ITA! :thumbsup2 I specifically clicked on this thread because I am in love with my Kindle. Best Christmas present EVER. In the year that I've had it, I have only paid money for four books, and currently have over 300 books sitting in their appropriate collections waiting to be read. I add the freebies much faster than I can read them, but have managed to read over 50 in that time. (Darn life gets in the way of my reading obsession:lmao:)

I am not big on all the fancy gadgets, I don't have an iphone, etc. But I did my research on e-readers and do not regret my decision to buy a Kindle.

I will say after reading this thread, though, that I'm going to research more about this controversy. I just went back to school and my Kindle reading and Amazon book searching has come to a halt, so I was not aware of this book being published. The thought makes me ill. :sick:

I will say after reading this thread, though, that I'm going to research more about this controversy. I just went back to school and my Kindle reading and Amazon book searching has come to a halt, so I was not aware of this book being published. The thought makes me ill. :sick:

Yeah, finding out about some of the revolting things that Amazon has been selling has really created a quandary for me. I have been buying stuff from them for years but was unaware of things like the Rape Lay video game on their site. Some might argue that I was happily buying from them when they sold that so what has changed. What has changed is that now I know. I'm really uncomfortable doing business with a company that has to be threatened with the loss of a significant amount of income in order to get them to do the right thing. I hate it - DS and I both were really sold on the Kindle. I have to admit that it does seem to be the superior product. But we may have to settle for something adequate rather than superior in order to avoid doing business with Amazon. I know that a lot of companies are not perfect and do things in the name of making a profit that I probably would find objectionable. But the how-to guide for pedophiles really takes the cake. What I find just as disturbing as the fact that they sold it, is that they used the lame excuse of censorship to justify selling it. I don't agree with censorship but any private business has the right to decide what it will and will not sell and that isn't censorship. Preventing the author from writing and publishing the book would have been censorship.

Anyhow, back to the drawing board I guess. We'll just have to do some more research and see if we think another e-reader would work for DS.

ETA - The video game mentioned above is no longer on the Amazon site and has not been for quite some time. But from what I've read, it took public objections and threats of boycott to get them to pull that too. Just lowers my opinion of them even more that it would take that to make them do what is so obviously the right thing.

Update - I came back to add that I just found information that indicates the pedophile book was a self-published work and that Amazon's site was the instrument used to publish it. IF this is true, I can better understand why Amazon might have felt that it would be censorship to pull it. I suppose this is new territory - when in the past have authors had the ability to publish their works and make them available to the public without them having to pass thru the hands (literally) of a publisher and team of editors?

I just bought the Kindle last week after reading a lot of reviews and web sites. It seems to me that most people who bought their Nooks are happy with them, and most people that bought their Kindle are happy with them.

I went with the Kindle for the customer support, ease of shopping (ordered on a Wednesday, and it was delivered on Saturday with free shipping), and the community boards that offered support and guidance.

I have already downloaded a lot of free books (actually haven't paid for any yet). I am loving it!

Wow...lots of great info...thanks to all...my main concern at this point is the library loan, I am a student and that is one of my main interests in an ereader. I want to cut out any trips to the library. And my school also participates in eloan. I am not really concerned or not concerned about the backlighting, but I will be going to the nook boards and kindle boards to see what else everyone is saying. Thanks so much.

Thank you for this thread. I have three questions:

1. What exactly does backlit mean? Does it mean the page is lit so you can read? If so, why do a lot of you not like the backlight?

2. If I had either the Nook or Kindle in any wireless location, can I just download a book or do I have to "plug" into an actual computer?

3. How do you pay for the books? Do you put a preset amount of money on your Nook/Kindle?

Thank you all very much.

Update - I came back to add that I just found information that indicates the pedophile book was a self-published work and that Amazon's site was the instrument used to publish it. IF this is true, I can better understand why Amazon might have felt that it would be censorship to pull it. I suppose this is new territory - when in the past have authors had the ability to publish their works and make them available to the public without them having to pass thru the hands (literally) of a publisher and team of editors?
Through the entire existence of self-publishing? Yes, it's easier with e-books, but publishing companies that specialize in self-publishing even actual books will provide as little or as much support as the author requests/contracts (yes, the author pays). I don't know what Amazon's specific procedure or support system is, but tons of books are self-published.

Thanks JS for asking those questions, I haven't bought any ereader yet due to the fact that I Hate reading on a computer due to the fact of reading against a bright screen. Could someone explain the backlighting thing PLEASE.

Thanks, Lori

I have a Nook - LOVE IT!. My dsil has a Kindle - LOVES IT! I went with the Nook b/c I liked the feel of it better (touch screen on bottom). It took a long time for me to decide. It all comes down to your personal preference. Go to the stores and check both out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter