Please Help! I Need Your BEST WDW Tips!

I'm also going to disagree about the early entry. We just returned today from 6 days at the Wilderness Lodge. You and about 5 billion other people all get the idea that you're going to beat each other. If the park opens at 9 a.m., and early entry is at 8 a.m., then plan to get there about 7 a.m. Also factor in at least 30 minutes transport time. I can tell you from watching the boat ramp at the Wilderness Lodge from my room. On early-entry day, the boat ramp to the MK was crammed with people as early as 7:20 a.m. On non-early entry days, only 8 or 10 people might be milling about on the boat ramp in early morning. Our first day at the MK was an early-entry day. We arrived at about 7:45 a.m. and the crowds were pouring in. We went straight to Dumbo and it was already a 30-minute wait. A lot of guide books will tell you that crowds are much higher on early-entry day. That was certainly our experience.

Other tips: We shipped a box to our lodge in advance stocked with plastic utensils, napkins, styrofoam bowls, cereal boxes, muffins, breakfast bars, water bottles, juice boxes, and snacks. It cost $15 to ship. Most mornings we ate breakfast in our room, saving us time and probably at least $30 per day, then we loaded fanny packs with snacks and frozen juice boxes and water bottles so we didn't have to buy things in the park. A soda was $3.

Another tip: I bought a hot pink bandana to tie on the stroller, which made finding the stroller a snap.

Also, eat lunch at 11 a.m. or 2 p.m. If you try to eat at noon, plan to wait a long time for your food, and eat standing up. (We went in November.) We figured this out on Day 1. After that we always ate at 11 a.m. and had no problems, even getting into sit-down restaurants.

With liitle ones, don't forget you can baby swap!! Bonus--they don't make the person hanging back with the kids ride alone, another person in your party gets to ride twice in a row!

Pack the kids clothes in gallon size ziploc bags...put an entire days clothes in each bag...socks, underwear, shorts, top, hair accessories for girls...this way each morning you just pull out a bag and everything is ready to go...makes things much easier.

Haven't even unpacked yet....

Moleskin ~ I have had my sneakers for probably 2 years never a problem but after walking 5 or 6 miles a day I needed it. I had never heard of it until this board but it is by the 'foot care' stuff at any store (CVS type)

Philharmagic ~ do not miss it!

Fantasmic was also great.

The Wishes fireworks at MK were really incredible, I was incredibly glad that we stayed. (If you are on the bridge to tomorrowland there is an opening for the Rose Garden or something similar to that go down and there are benches and a little area if you are lucky you can be comfortable and have a great view.

With a group that big I would recommend splitting up or maybe just trying to set 1 time during the day to meet (dinner at 6pm at Chef Mickeys, or at Mexico in Epcot for the boat ride). This way you don't waste time deciding what everyone wants to do and no one gets mad at eachother.

Parker,

Other tips: We shipped a box to our lodge in advance stocked with plastic utensils, napkins, styrofoam bowls, cereal boxes, muffins, breakfast bars, water bottles, juice boxes, and snacks. It cost $15 to ship. Most mornings we ate breakfast in our room, saving us time and probably at least $30 per day, then we loaded fanny packs with snacks and frozen juice boxes and water bottles so we didn't have to buy things in the park. A soda was $3.

I LOVE this tip !!! I will be flying and not renting a car.. so this is a great tip as I wondered how I could eat in the room if I cant go to the market ... GREAT IDEA !!!

How long before you arrived did you ship it ???

Thanks
PG

Here are some helpful tips from our most recent trip:

When going to Animal Kingdom and MGM: pick out the shows you want to see and use the Times Guide to plan your day. This guide is also a great way to know where and when the characters will be found.

Be Flexible! Some will hit the parks commando style, while others in your group will be more laid back. It’s o.k. to split up.

Take time to enjoy the unexpected. We found unexpected pleasures everyday. On our first night, after getting on the wrong boat back to our resort, we were treated with an excellent view of the MK fireworks from the boat.

Don’t sit in the front rows at Playhouse Disney Live, you will not be able to see most of the characters.

Our favorite character breakfast: Donald’s Breakfastosaurus. The food and character interaction is great. We get the earliest P.S. time, which allows us to walk on at least 1 or 2 rides with little or no wait time.

Have a great trip!!

Carrie

PG, we shipped our box UPS ground on Monday, Nov. 1, and it arrived at our lodge on Thursday, Nov. 4. You can use express services, but it costs A LOT more. Figure about 3 days for ground, UPS or Fed Ex. In addition to the shipping label, we wrote our names on the outside of the box, our lodge, and arrival date.
A friend shipped a huge computer monitor box filled with clothes for $25 and took no luggage! Apparently her bags always get lost! Ours was $15 for a medium-size box. But we saved a ton. Our first night we arrived late and went to the lodge snack bar for dinner. Drinks and hot dogs for four, plus 2 Rice Krispie treats was $40.
With the box we had ample snacks and breakfast in our room (we purchased milk from the lodge gift store). Kids ate out on the balcony. All the deluxe resorts provide a refrigerator for free now upon request. They have tiny freezers, but big enough to freeze small kid-sized water bottles or juice boxes. Take Zip-loc bags and tuck the frozen bottles in your fanny pack. I'm not sure about moderates and value regarding the refrigerator.
You can also have your car service stop at one of the grocery stores en route, but I know I would have felt really rushed and probably would have forgotten something. We didn't have a kitchenette either and didn't need anything that elaborate. Just cereal boxes, plastic utensils, a small tupperware container for sugar, breakfast foods, snacks, stuff like that. Worked like a charm. Saving time was probably more important than the money.

My advice to you is not to set yourself up as the entertainment director .... otherwise if someone doesn't have a "good time" you will be blamed, if someone doesn't see something they wanted to see you will be blamed ....

etc

It sounds like you have given them info and the adults are old enough to sort things out for themselves. Don't forget it is YOUR vacation too, so make sure you don't have the pressure put on you to organize and ensure everyone's fun.

I agree with all of those that said the group should be broken up and then have a meeting place, such as a parade, etc.

Have a great time!

Hi everyone! Thanks for these great tips!:Pinkbounc

I have decided (since I'm chief planner extraordinaire;) ) that once we get to the parks, we will split up and meet each other for meals and maybe a couple of must-see rides.We'll also meet up for fireworks and parades too. If they want to go around with us, that's fine, but like you said VAN... it's our vacation too and I want to have a fantastic time after all these months of planning. Plus, I think it would be way to difficult to have 14 people walking around all day together, all the time. ::yes::

Keep the tips comin'! These are great!!!!:teeth:

Does each party within your group have a cellphone? If not, you might consider radios. That way, if one group is delayed meeting up, they won't hold up the whole group.

Also, my own number 1 tip, if you show up at a restaurant to request a PS for later, and they tell you you won't need it, get it anyway! This happened to us, and when we came back, we were not happy to be told it would be a half hour wait.

Kungaloosh!
Morticia.

My Dh and I got back from WDW on November 5th. This was our 5 year anniversary trip which we were looking forward to! My SIL and BIL joined us for a few days. This was very stressful for me. I knew what my DH liked an where we would want to go each day but it was very hard for me to choose for the 4 of us. I did try to get us to split up but they wanted to be with us most of the time. More than a few times I heard my SIL say "you know what we should see so you decide" - that is very stressful. Enjoying WDW with my DH is easy we have a magical time just sitting on a bench on Main Street or in Epcot. My BIL did make a few comments that he thought there would be more thrill rides. We did go to Universal one night and he rode a lot of the rides there but I still felt like he was unhappy. Even though we had a good time I will never again go to Disney with people who don't already have a plan of their own. Make people in your group educate themselves on what is available at each park and what PS's are. Assign them to make PS's for a day so that they understand the amount of work that goes into a seamless vacation.

Take my advice tell them ahead of time you'll be splitting up. Fill them in on what you are planning and on what they will need to do themselves. That way you won't be expected to do it all. Have a magical time!

Originally posted by swanprincess
Take my advice tell them ahead of time you'll be splitting up. Fill them in on what you are planning and on what they will need to do themselves. That way you won't be expected to do it all. Have a magical time!

If you're going with others, this is good advice. Either explain before hand that you'd like to split up, or if they insist on "just doing what you're doing", then explain that you will lead at the pace you are accustomed to.

We went with my sister & hubby for the 1st time last year & they wanted me to be the guide. I told them that was fine, & then I said "if you want to see as much as possible we need to do this, this & this - are you in?". They said yes & we had a lot of fun. They thanked me over & over & said they would never seen as much without me. Make it clear that if they want you to be in charge then they just better follow along - no questions asked! ;)

I didn't notice anyone mention the Brita water bottles ( sorry if I missed it)- the water is AWFUL! Even the smell around the fountains and water rides was really bad.

I brought a couple filters with us and we just refilled our water bottles all day. They made the water taste fine to us.......

The filters fit in almost any standard water bottle, you don't need to buy the special ( and bulky ) Brita bottle to use them.

Have a great trip!:wave2:

TNT21 said:
I didn't notice anyone mention the Brita water bottles ( sorry if I missed it)- the water is AWFUL! Even the smell around the fountains and water rides was really bad.

I brought a couple filters with us and we just refilled our water bottles all day. They made the water taste fine to us.......

The filters fit in almost any standard water bottle, you don't need to buy the special ( and bulky ) Brita bottle to use them.

Have a great trip!:wave2:

I have to disagree, I don't think that the water is awful at all. Heck, I usually buy or bring a water bottle, then just fill it up from the WDW water fountains the rest of the day. I guess that it just depends on your water tastes, but I have bottled water at home and I don't think WDW is bad at all. It certainly doesn't taste like "hose water" like at some places that I've been.

Also, my tip would definitely have everyone split up and have their own plan. I took 16 people to WDW 2 years ago and when it was all said and done, I said that I would never do it again. Everyone blamed me when it wasn't what they expected.

Don't forget to just sit down on a bench and watch the world go by. It's amazing to see the faces on the children as they enjoy WDW.

If you have little ones, remember that each one of the parks has a baby care center with changing tables, high chairs, microwaves, etc.

Also, if you have little ones, don't force them to get their pic with Mickey if they are afraid. I have a 3 yr old that grew up at WDW (we only live 1.5 hrs away), but lots of toddlers are extremely afraid of the characters. Let them enjoy them from afar, if that makes them more comfortable.

Pack extra outfits for little ones in your bag for the day. You just never know when they will get sick, spill something, etc. And, you don't want to spend $18 on a t-shirt because you have to.

If you're going to go to the full-service restaurants and you want to save money, have an early snack and have a late lunch in the restaurants, then a light dinner. Lunches are always significantly less than dinners, and really not much less food. Also, WDW restaurants have always been good about letting DH and I split entrees. We get an appetizer and then split an entree and it's plenty of food. Sure, I can eat a whole meal, but I don't need to, and it's less money.

I second the person who said to get all of your souveniers at World of Disney at Downtown Disney Marketplace. They have most of the same stuff as the parks, but sometimes you can go overboard buying a little at this park, a little at the next park. If you wait until your last night or the morning that you leave, then you might not spend as much on little stuff.

Good luck and have a great time.

Amy

Don't over plan, but research and be prepared. You will run into crowd issues and other logistical problems - especially if you have kids, and knowing what rides are usually shorter waits, and when shows/parades will be run really helps you navigate the parks.

Steve Soares site is awesome in that regard - he posts live show/parade times for each Park every Saturday night. It really helps having these times in your hands the night before you are visiting a park.

Find his site here:
http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/index.htm

Cheers.

Ditto the arrive early. Our first couple of trips we looked at park maps and planned a route so we didn't wander around aimlessly. But the most important thing is don't over-plan. I have seen people jogging through the park to make-up some lost time. I have seen people with a time schedule that plans their day to the minute. See the must sees and beyond that have fun.

Before any long line up, before any parade, or before any must do, make sure you all go potty. It is so frustrating lining up for an hour, and then just before the parade gets there the little one says he/she has to go to the bathroom.

FASTPASS, FASTPASS, FASTPASS, nuff said

The adults need to try really hard to remember, Even though we know rides may look scary but they really aren't, trying to talk a kid into getting on one is an exersize in futility. And both parties get upset.

I always give my kids an age based budget and Disney Dollars every moring. And make them understand that when THEIR money is gone, it's really gone! If I see them make a purchase that I see no value in I don't try to talk them out of it. It's their money. Again less stress for me, because they aren't always coming to me with their little hands stuck out.

I also agree about the character meals, pricey but darn well worth it.
We tend to go overboard on the priority seating thing. We are going to try and wing it the on the next trip.

Have fun, be young, drink lots of water

My tip is this:

If you're going to eat at one of the counter service places, *please* have your mind made up before you get to the cashier! We had the pleasure of standing behind 2 women who would order something, then change their minds once the poor CM had already rung them up. I could see the CM's face starting to change color after the 3rd round of changes and I felt so bad for her. Oh, *and* once you've paid, don't get out of the line and then come barreling back to get your stuff. That's what those little rails are for. They are supposed to keep you in that line so that you can get your food in an orderly fashion. A little bit of common courtesy goes a long way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter