Please help. Have to cancel.

richcook99

Mouseketeer
Just received word of a family tragedy. We'll have to cancel our trip. We're scheduled to leave Friday. What do I do?

Sorry that you have to cancel :(

Just call Disney and cancel or change the dates.

Sorry you have to cancel or reschedule.

Don't forget that they don't automatically cancel your ADR's when you cancel.

I'm sorry that you've had a family tragedy. You'll probably be more than a bit preoccupied with your family stuff so I'd suggest making a list of the most important things you have to do.

Cancelling your room would be the first step. I would NOT worry about the ADR's unless it fits into your schedule to take care of cancelling them or if you have money deposited that could be refunded to you....those I would take care of.

If you have tickets to fly cancel those tickets and either try for a refund or vouchers to reschedule.

Do you have a car rental scheduled?

Do you have any other tours scheduled that you'll want to cancel/notify someone that you won't be there?

Are there people you plan to meet that don't read this site to know about your tragedy...people that will worry if you don't show up?

I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

I am so sorry. We just went through this in June...had to cancel 14 hours before our flight left.

Anything that can be canceled online, do that so you will have cancellation numbers. Call if you feel like you need to talk to a person.

-Airline, they can give you a credit, minus the cancellation fee.
-Hotel reservations
-Car rental
-Any tickets on "will call"
-ADRs

Once again, I am sorry that your family is experiencing this tragedy.

Just wanted to say how sorry i am for all of it :sad1: i think you should cancel your room and plane tickets and whatever else you gave money for already. things you didnt pay for yet i wouldnt worry aoub so much, unless you feel like you can do it without any added stress.

all the best to you and your family.

I'm so sorry for your family situation.

I would call disney and ask for a MANAGER. (you have enough on your plate right now to bother with ADRS, etc)
ACTUALLY, ask for a supervisor.

we have a group who books our restaurant every year for a "meet and greet"for cancer stricken families, and they tell of how Disney gives back all deposits, etc. .
talk to a supervisor. you chould get everything (all monies) back,.
just give them your reservation numbers. let disney worry about cancelling the adrs. they will do this. you have enough problems right now.
my prayers are with you

Unfortunate about the tragedy...Maybe just reschedule and not cancel. This is what we had to do last year, 7 days before we were supposed to leave...we rescheduled from Sep 2009 to April 2010. As long as you give Disney 24 hours notice. It worked out because we were able to upgrade from CSR to GF.

Thank you so much for your prayers and well wishes. My father died suddenly Sunday morning. I found out late last night and my mother is out of the country. We still haven't been able to track her down. I know a trip to Florida is way, way down on the priority scale, but I've spent so much time in these forums the last few months that I thought maybe some of you would have advice. We'll be calling WDW sometime today and see what our options are. Thanks again and say a prayer for the Cook family. Blessings.

richcook, I am so sorry for your loss, but Junebugwv has a great little checklist there. Also, because of the death, you most likely will get an entire refund or credit from the airline. Additionally, Disney may be able to help you cancel all your ADRs and whatever else you have scheduled there. I hope everything goes smoothly with the cancellations - I also agree about doing as many of them online as you can so you physically have the cancellation numbers in hand. My prayers are with you.

I am so sorry for your loss...You and your family are in my prayers. I hope everything works out for you on this end ..and if there is anything else we can assist you with, let us know. I know this cannot be easy for you. My prayers are also with your mom-- I know it will not be easy for her, especially in her circumstances of being away where she is.

((HUGS))

Call WDW. Tell them you cannot make the trip. If you don't want to pay a cancel fee, and they won't waive the cancel fee for you based on the circumstances, try changing the dates to sometime in the future. I don't know if you're DVC or not but if you are call Member Services. Your points will go into holding but you won't lose them.

Anything you have booked, like tours or restaurant reservations, that required a credit card guarantee or deposit, or prepayment, make sure you cancel those right away so you can have the prepayment refunded or avoid no-show charges.

There isn't much you can do about the airline, if you are flying. If your airline charges a cancel fee it's likely you will be required to pay it. Ask about bereavement policies, but I'm not sure that will result in a full refund, depends on the airline. If you have trip insurance, see if the insurance will cover a full refund.

Richcook, so sorry for your loss. Its very easy to feel overwhelmed with all you are going through.

Be sure to ask the funeral director for a copy of the Death Certificate. Usually one copy is free. You will need to fax this to the refund department at your airlines to get a full refund. You should not be charged any cancellation fees. Airlines are very reasonable about family deaths.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter