Please help, at OKW NOW, how to get room assignmnet fast??

HappyDVCer

Earning My Ears
Dd just called from OKW. She and a few friends drove 20 hours through the night. They arrived around 8:00 am and checked in but the room wasn't ready. It' been almost 6 hours and they are still waiting. She was told they are 98% filled. They are exhausted. And to think they were there early for the first room available.

They are not planning on doing any of the parks. They did lounge by the pool for a while but now they are waiting in Papa's Den. Any tips on how they could get into their room faster?

Thanks

it is 3:00pm now - so they should only have to wait an hour more - if the room is still not ready - start screaming and demanding to know why they have waited -

okay maybe that is a bit far out

anyhow - when I had this problem I would watch and listen to who got a room and it was ready.....then I would ask why isn't mind - that generally got me a room. Not that second - but within a few minutes the CM that I asked generally found me and said she did find a place for me.

this does not work if you leave the library/lounge/front desk area.

Sorry they couldn't get into a room right away. If the resort is full, there's not much you can do - you just have to wait until the room is cleaned and ready to go.

THh good news is that it's now after 3 pm in WDW. They probably will not have to wait much longer. Hope they have a wonderful trip!

Best wishes -

thanks for the advice, just talked with Dd . Ms told her 20 more minutes that puts them at the 4 pm mark.

I learned one thing, I should have booked last night for them. then they may not have had a problem checking in.

Thanks again

Originally posted by HappyDVCer
thanks for the advice, just talked with Dd . Ms told her 20 more minutes that puts them at the 4 pm mark.

I learned one thing, I should have booked last night for them. then they may not have had a problem checking in.

Thanks again

Good idea to book the previous night for an early arrival. If you go ahead and do that in the future, be sure to call the resort and let them know what you intend - i.e., that you will be arriving very early the following morning and want to get into the room right away. Otherwise they may think you are not coming and cancel the reservation.

Best wishes -

Check-in is at 4PM. Anything before that is pure luck. With 98% occupancy, they probably won't get in before 4PM.

We've been to OKW at 11 am and walked right into our room -- with 3 or 4 room choices available. On the other hand there are times we've had to wait until 4.

We were at BWV at 9 am in May and didn't get the room until 3. Interestingly, they predicted when the room would be available when we checked in at 9. How did he know that????

This is one reason OKW has the "Gurgling Suitcase."

(Let's see, does this post put me at 600?)

One of the drawbacks to so many members not using points on Friday-Saturday is that Sunday tends to be a tremendously busy check-in day. It stands to reason, that at busy times of the year, Monday would have very few rooms opening up. Add to that, members and people staying through Disney who want to squeeze out every minute up until 11:00 a.m. (or maybe finagle a late check-out) and the odds of getting in before 4:00 p.m. on Monday are slim. Rather than having to book a room and let it stay empty, maybe the girls shouldn't drive through the night. Leave so that they'll arrive at WDW in the late afternoon and then they can go directly to their room. They did realize they could leave their bags, go enjoy the parks or laze by the pool and then check back for their room assignment, didn't they?

Originally posted by PamOKW
They did realize they could leave their bags, go enjoy the parks or laze by the pool and then check back for their room assignment, didn't they?

True but I imagine that after driving 20 hours, all they wanted to do was crash in bed or in front of the TV with nothing to do except some unpacking and planning where to go for dinner.

Personally, my vacation NEVER begins until I am in my room and settled in. Conversely, the vacation is over when I check out of the room. I hate the homeless feel when I don't have access to the room and all my "stuff" is either in storage or on myself or in the car.

That's why I always schedule flights to arrive into MCO no earlier than 1pm. If the room is not ready, the wait isn't too long and we can go grab a bite to eat.

I usually try to schedule return flights around 1pm depending on the fares. We like to wake up and check out at 10am and head leisurely to the airport to check in the luggage.

Sorry about your wife's problem. Would be a real bummer to drive 20 hours and then not get into a room immediately.

Thanks to a similar post several years ago, we no longer take the early flight in (and I'm not driving 24 hours to get there!) Getting up at 4:00 am and then not getting into a room right away would be a real bummer for me, so now we leave a little later, get in a little later, and if we can't get in right away --- well, no one is dying for a nap or a shower.

Easy way to solve this problem is to rent the room the night before you arrive and tell them that you may not be there until 7 or 8 in the morning, you will have the room when you walk in minus the points it will cost you for the room.

Sorry about the wait. We usually arrive at the resort around noon and if room isn't ready we have lunch, put on our swimsuits and lay by the pool. We always wear park clothes with suits in a carry on. I've been sound asleep in a pool chair on more than one occasion waiting for a room. Something cool to drink really helps my mood.

We drive to Disney every trip and it is about 20 hours of driving. We leave at 7 PM the night before we drive all night the kids sleep in the car and we get to Georgia for 8 AM or so. We stop there for breakfast and get the kids changed. We stop at Macon on the bypass for lunch at the rest stop and then for the night in Valdosta. We leave Valdosta around 9 AM and arrive at Disney for 12 or 1 in the afternoon that way our wait if there is one is not to long. Makes the trip easier on the kids as they get to relax the night before we arrive when we drive home it is straight through only stopping for lunch and gas.

I think I would have just curled up in a corner of the lobby and took a nap.:p

We haven't driven 20 hours.... but did have a trip that started at 4AM, and after driving, flying, driving, etc etc etc we had to wait until 4:30 to get into our room at BCV. But it was worth the wait - we had made ressies for a studio and got bumped up to a 1br.

Traveling from England we get used to long long traveling days. We set off at 9am gmt (4am Florida time) and arrive at about 6pm, that is 11pm to us. We do always get into our room as it is well past the 4pm, but I would hate it if I had to wait hours on top of all the travelling. I love getting unpacked and settling in.

We always take an early flight, always get there early and NEVER expect to get in before 4:00. What a bonus if we do get in by 4:00!

We just make plans for the time between landing and getting into the room.

As far as I'm concerned, they say 4pm check-in, that's where our expectations should be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter