• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please Help!!! At-home jobs for a SAHM!

hokiefan33

Disney Freak
My DW and I would both LOVE for her to be able to stay home. We both currently work FT, and DS9 and DD6 are in school, but we also have DD 3 months as well, so that means a babysitter. We have a GREAT babysitter lined up, a neighbor down the street who keeps a lot of teacher's kids and is SUPER with them, but good help is also expensive help. About $150/week. We would like to have another baby, and I am willing to step out on faith, but I think faith also involves a level of using your brain, as well, and DW quitting her job means we are in the red in a big way each month. She has been on maternity leave since May 19, going back to work on Sept. 12, so that 4-month break makes it real hard to go back. She is going back at a 75% schedule (8-2 M-F, so she can pick up the older kids from school, meaning no more after-school care is needed, which we're excited about), but that is also a 75% pay schedule as well.

Basically, I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas about jobs she could do at home to replace some of the income we would lose if she quit her job. On our current budget, we would have to replace around $1,800/month take-home pay. I know this is a lot, and may not be possible, but we're willing to do what we need to to make this work. The job would HAVE to be at home, since DW would have the baby with her, and it would have to be flexible enough that she can still pick up kids from school at 2:15 or so. She is an accountant by profession, more the cost side than the general ledger side (for those of you who know the difference), but is analytical and smart.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. We know this can work, b/c we believe that God wants it to work, and with God ALL things are possible!

I would second the idea of AVON. It might take a bit of time for her to build her business to $1800 a month in profit, but the start up cost is very minimal and she can Christmas/Birthday shop at demo prices. :)

Ginny

Good luck on achieving your plan.
I'm not a mom but I have been investigating possible jobs for SAHM or just SAH people... :)

I stumbled on this Virtual Assistant possibility.
http://www.entrepreneur.com/Magazines/MA_SegArticle/0,1539,285985----1-,00.html

Unfortunately other than knowing it is an opportunity, I have no other information.

But I'm sure the web has more than enough information on this.

Good luck!

ps: here are other possibilities: http://findajob.aol.com/findajob/articles/article.adp?id=730

I currently sell Mary kay and don't do many shows a month due to DH's hours. The reorders are great.

There are also 2 other threads on here regarding SAHM. Check them out as well...

jetBlue booking agents all work from home. Very flexible hours. Good option if they are hiring.

I think since she is an accountant that perhaps she could look into some bookeeping jobs. My boyfriend did this when he was working on his master's. Drop by small businesses in the area and see if they would hire her for 'write up" work, payroll, AP etc... He had about three clients that he did all the accounting for. It would require a PC and probably some accounting software, but she could probably do it no problem.

Does she have any tax experience and/or could she get training?

It's very seasonal, but tax prep is a great way to get a lot of money in a very short amount of time. She may be able to negotiate with a local accounting firm to take work home, or you may be able to get evening hours for her since most firms put in 18 hour days during tax season. Or, even if you employed a babysitter and had her work full time just during tax season, she could probably make enough money to make it worth your while for the whole year.

Good luck!

I work at home part time for a non-profit doing bookeeping, payroll, payroll taxes, Form 990, financial reporting, etc. My pay is not fantastic - I do it because I enjoy it and want to help the non-profit, but I could see where doing bookeeping for a couple of businesses at home (using Quickbooks) would be a great way to earn money. I'm sure she could easily bill $25/hour and work 25 hours a week. Many businesses are looking for someone to do the books. Many small business owners are experts at their businesses but know NOTHING about the record keeping end.

Good luck. Sacrificing so she can stay home will be more than worth it. We made some huge sacrifices about 10 years ago and couldn't have been happier. We had no money, but we were so content.

Since you have a few children maybe selling their used stuff on ebay would bring in some $$. There is always babysitting as well. I did a bit of that, but it's hard to bring yet another child into your house. My DD always got very jealous.

Good luck - it is very well worth the sacrifice. Maybe you can cut down on cable TV, cell phones, food budget as well.

I work full time from home, (on my own schedule...work around the kids, etc.) and earn at least what you are looking for (and could earn more). PM me if she has at least a Master's degree.

sanibelover said:
I work at home part time for a non-profit doing bookeeping, payroll, payroll taxes, Form 990, financial reporting, etc. My pay is not fantastic - I do it because I enjoy it and want to help the non-profit, but I could see where doing bookeeping for a couple of businesses at home (using Quickbooks) would be a great way to earn money. I'm sure she could easily bill $25/hour and work 25 hours a week. Many businesses are looking for someone to do the books. Many small business owners are experts at their businesses but know NOTHING about the record keeping end.

Good luck. Sacrificing so she can stay home will be more than worth it. We made some huge sacrifices about 10 years ago and couldn't have been happier. We had no money, but we were so content.

We had thought about that. Actually, I'm an accountant as well, and I had thought about possibly doing that on the side as extra income for myself. How did you get started with that? Did you just go directly to the NFP and offer your services, or was this done through an agency/headhunter/classifieds, etc...?

CarolA said:
I think since she is an accountant that perhaps she could look into some bookeeping jobs. My boyfriend did this when he was working on his master's. Drop by small businesses in the area and see if they would hire her for 'write up" work, payroll, AP etc... He had about three clients that he did all the accounting for. It would require a PC and probably some accounting software, but she could probably do it no problem.

I would second this suggestion. My Dh is also an accountant. Early in his career, he often made extra money with side jobs. He no longer takes side jobs but he sometimes hires others to help him out. For several years he was with a small company who paid someone to do their payroll every two weeks.

Since you are both accountants, even better because you could help her with the extra jobs.

I love my job! I work when I want to, my kids get lots of really nice books for free, I make good money, and it is fun! I am an Educational Consultant for Usborne Books at Home. I average about $100. per show and spend 2-3 hours at each show. You can do as many or as few shows per week as you would like. The money really helps to feed my Disney appetite! Usborne is a fairly new company so the market is not saturated like it is with so many home party type companies, and people are always buying books for their kids/grandkids! It is less than $100 for your start up kit and there are no monthly quotas, no inventory to buy etc. The best part is that your kids get to keep and enjoy the books! If you would like to check it out just go to www.ubah.com/N1466 and click on "income opportunities" near the top of the page.

Does she have any contacts in the accounting biz that might want some extra work done on the side? I left my full time job as a financial advisor last year, to stay home with kids and do Pampered Chef full time. However, I was approached by one of my former co-workers who was in need of a sales assistant to help with admin/phone scheduling/etc. It's a step down from what I can actually do, but he was willing to pay a premium price for someone who "knows what they're doing" and I have a company laptop and work from home at my leisure to the max. # hours per week that we agreed upon. This works out well for me because I can keep my skills sharp while working around school schedules and my other business.

I'm sure there must be accounting firms that are looking for experienced professionals -- your DW wouldn't take up any more office space and isn't asking for more benefits (is she?) so it might work well to both your advantages.

Good luck!

Hi there...I would love some suggestions as well. I currently work for a large bank (one of the top 5) and have a great telecommuting arrangement currently where I work from home MWF....in office T/TR. Unfortunately due to mergers they might be cutting this back drastically. I would like to still maintain some flexibility where I could go in a few days and then work from home a few...or ideally work from home fulltime.

My background is in project management/mortgage financing analysis...but am willing to learn new skills.

Thanks..

Barbara in Jackson, NJ

PM me if any opportunities.

Something else to consider if your wife has her masters degree...do you have a community college nearby? Ours is always looking for qualified adjunct instructors for night and weekend classes. She could grade assignments etc. at home and arrange her class schedule for times when you would be home. In some cases she might also be able to teach classes that are online which would mean even less time away from home.

Monique- it asks for a consultant I.D. and password

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter