• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please help a Southerner survive a snowy vacation!

rnorwo1

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone!
We are going to MN during our kids' Mardi Gras vacation in a couple of weeks. We rented a cabin on Lake Superior and plan on snowmobiling, cross country skiing, and whatever else we can tolerate at such inhuman temperatures. I went to to undergrad in PA and my husband lived in NJ, both a few decades ago, and we have been firmly planted where it rarely goes below 70 degrees ever since. We therefore own nothing warmer than North Face- type jackets.

I want to balance buying enough gear so we are not miserable with over-buying on things we likely will never use again, so I'm hoping I can get some guidance on that here! This is what we already have:

1) We all have borrowed snow pants .
2) I (only) own a pair of 30 year old duck boots from LL Bean.
3) The kids have "big" jackets that they've never worn before and are a tad too small but would work; they kinda look like ski jackets, but there still isn't that much to them in terms of lining.
4) We each have 467 pairs of cheap, long, fake-wooly socks (you know, the $5 kind from Walmart, some with sequins) that everyone likes to give everyone for Christmas (not sure they'll fit in a shoe or actually be warm).

That's it!

What would be the must-haves? I assume we need some type of long underwear to wear under the ski pants? Advice on which kind and where to get?

Do you wear thermal tops and sweatshirts/sweaters under jackets?

Do you think layering with thermal/sweatshirts will work with light jackets, or must we each buy good, big jackets?

Will the duck boots be sufficient with the right socks? And what type would those "right" socks be?

My guys all have rubber boots (the thin kind), but I'm sure those would be freezing. Do they need lined boots? Snow boots in particular?

Guess we will need gloves, hats, and scarves? I have a 20 yo pair of Isotoner gloves, but I guess those won't be too warm. The boys have plenty of warm gloves, but not a single set of matching ones. (How does that happen?!)

Any suggestions for brands, places to buy, discounts, etc. would be much appreciated! Again, I am fine with spending what we need to in order to enjoy the trip, but I'm afraid we may end up in the emergency room with frostbite or some other skiing-related calamity, so I would love to save where we can!
Thanks so much!!

Under Armour type base layers, Duck boots not the best , gloves super important, And sorry if your coats are too tight for multiple layers it going to be tough for snowmobiling if the kids or you get cold quickly you won't have alot of fun. Hands, Head and feet must stay comfortable.

i would'nt spend a fortune on name brands-we get by just fine with off the rack stuff. i think layering helps allot so maybe some thermal shirts (i like men's vs. women's for the price). i've worn leggins and yoga pants under snow pants-both work fine. some inexpensive knit type caps help retain heat-and decent quality gloves (something waterproof).

consider what you will want to wear indoors as well-depending on what the heat source is in the cabin you might want to bring along some fleece sleepwear.

if you had a longer timeline for delivery i would suggest walmart but amazon should do you fine.

Hi, I can tell you what I've been wearing for skiing and see what you need:
Top and bottom base layers (synthetic, wicking materials).
Ski socks (wool blend with cushion on shin and toe areas to buffer the pressure from the ski boots).
A second top layer of non-cotton material.
Ski jacket and snow pants, or an one-piece snow suit.
Snow/ski gloves.
Balaclava, helmet, goggles.
Ski boots (not to be confused with snow boots), skis, poles.

For walking around you will also need snow boots, scarf, winter hats, sweatshirt, sweaters, etc...

As a PP stated, you need to keep your head(including ears), hands and feet warm or you'll not last very long.
The less skin exposed the better.
Mittens are wayyyyy better than gloves. Trust me on this one!
Layers, layers, layers. I always like a turtleneck.
I assume you're renting snowmobiles?? Ask if they rent any heated outer wear. I own a battery heated vest and its a lifesaver!
Thick soled, insulated, waterproof boots will keep the cold away the longest.
I'm a fan of a jacket that goes down past my bottom. That extra length along with snow pants will help too.
A face mask is a good idea too. If the wind is really whipping, your nose and cheeks are at risk for frostbite.

Weather next to Lake Superior can be frigid and change quickly. Another important factor besides temperature is wind chill. Pay close attention to that.

You may need to purchase a few things.... in order to be outside for any length of time.
Have a safe trip!

Consider hitting up the Goodwill/Salvation Army for gear. Less expensive, probably gently worn (given your area), and you can re-donate it when you return.

Check the sporting goods section of Walmart for better gloves than you'll find in "accessories". My DH--former ski patroller--was partial to woolen "glittens" as we call them. They're mittens with a flap so you can use your fingers. They keep you from having to take off the entire mitten if you need to tie a rope or fix a strap or something. Get plenty of hand and feet warmers--these are typically in orange pouches, various sizes, and you can buy them for ~$1 apiece, too.

Dress in layers--fleece and wool are good, they wick away moisture. Do NOT wear cotton--"cotton kills" is a motto of white-water rafters (DH was one of them, too--he's an outdoor nut).

Under Armour type base layers, Duck boots not the best , gloves super important, And sorry if your coats are too tight for multiple layers it going to be tough for snowmobiling if the kids or you get cold quickly you won't have alot of fun. Hands, Head and feet must stay comfortable.
Thanks, I was afraid the duck boots would be cold- even with good socks? Buying boots for 5 people was my worst fear!

Get everyone wool socks and those air-activated hand/foot warmer packs. Have a great trip!

Ok; I'm guessing we will need a couple of pairs each, in case they get wet? Will wash every day to avoid needing more than that I guess.

i would'nt spend a fortune on name brands-we get by just fine with off the rack stuff. i think layering helps allot so maybe some thermal shirts (i like men's vs. women's for the price). i've worn leggins and yoga pants under snow pants-both work fine. some inexpensive knit type caps help retain heat-and decent quality gloves (something waterproof). consider what you will want to wear indoors as well-depending on what the heat source is in the cabin you might want to bring along some fleece sleepwear.

if you had a longer timeline for delivery i would suggest walmart but amazon should do you fine.
All we have here is Academy and Dick's, so I'll look there and Walmart. I have plenty of yoga pants and tights, so that'll save on me at least! And I sleep in fleece here in Louisiana, so I'll have plenty of that with me
Hi, I can tell you what I've been wearing for skiing and see what you need:
Top and bottom base layers (synthetic, wicking materials).
Ski socks (wool blend with cushion on shin and toe areas to buffer the pressure from the ski boots).
A second top layer of non-cotton material.
Ski jacket and snow pants, or an one-piece snow suit.
Snow/ski gloves.
Balaclava, helmet, goggles.
Ski boots (not to be confused with snow boots), skis, poles.

For walking around you will also need snow boots, scarf, winter hats, sweatshirt, sweaters, etc...
Ok, I'm off to see about renting the ski boots, because I certainly do not want to have to buy ski and snow boots! Goggles, would have never thought about that, thanks!

As a PP stated, you need to keep your head(including ears), hands and feet warm or you'll not last very long.
The less skin exposed the better.
Mittens are wayyyyy better than gloves. Trust me on this one!
Layers, layers, layers. I always like a turtleneck.
I assume you're renting snowmobiles?? Ask if they rent any heated outer wear. I own a battery heated vest and its a lifesaver!
Thick soled, insulated, waterproof boots will keep the cold away the longest.
I'm a fan of a jacket that goes down past my bottom. That extra length along with snow pants will help too.
A face mask is a good idea too. If the wind is really whipping, your nose and cheeks are at risk for frostbite.

Weather next to Lake Superior can be frigid and change quickly. Another important factor besides temperature is wind chill. Pay close attention to that.

You may need to purchase a few things.... in order to be outside for any length of time.
Have a safe trip!
When I reserved the snowmobiles, I saw a heated helmet option, and I did upgrade to that; my husband warned me that it was probably just going to keep the shield from icing over and not the personal sauna that I had envisioned :sad: I will definitely get a longer coat for myself, not sure the boys will go for that.
Consider hitting up the Goodwill/Salvation Army for gear. Less expensive, probably gently worn (given your area), and you can re-donate it when you return.

Check the sporting goods section of Walmart for better gloves than you'll find in "accessories". My DH--former ski patroller--was partial to woolen "glittens" as we call them. They're mittens with a flap so you can use your fingers. They keep you from having to take off the entire mitten if you need to tie a rope or fix a strap or something. Get plenty of hand and feet warmers--these are typically in orange pouches, various sizes, and you can buy them for ~$1 apiece, too.

Dress in layers--fleece and wool are good, they wick away moisture. Do NOT wear cotton--"cotton kills" is a motto of white-water rafters (DH was one of them, too--he's an outdoor nut).

Great tip for the sporting section, I would not have thought about that. I'll also take a run through the thrift store; I guess I assumed no one would have that stuff to donate, but I'm sure there are other crazy people who venture out into the arctic and decide to never go back.

Cotton kills; got it!

Thank you all so much! I'm afraid I'll be buying a lot more than I anticipated!!

What in the heck are you thinking?! That's all this southerners got. 😂🥰
I'm with you. The main thing I'd take if I were going on this vacation: a full tank of gas so I can get back to warm weather!
Thanks, I was afraid the duck boots would be cold- even with good socks? Buying boots for 5 people was my worst fear!
Maybe try ebay? I've had excellent luck buying hiking boots over the years.

I live in Syracuse where it has been in the teens low 20’s. We are considering a move to Minneapolis but it really too cold for me. Dress warm and take plenty of socks

Oh boy- I think you're going to need to get everyone outfitted from head to toe if you really want to enjoy being outside for hours.
-warm hats ( we always cover ears too)
-base layers ( top and bottom). Then your snow pants. On top ideally good base layer, then another layer like a fleece/flannel, then a warm coat.
-good mittens and good socks- at least a few pair of socks each. We like smart wool. They dont itch at all and arent hugely thick but very warm.
-insulated boots. We like LLBean- Northwood kid boots are great and not too pricey- they come with two insulated liners to swap out.
Base layers should NOT be cotton. We have good luck at Marshalls type stores for a lot of these things. LLBean is great for warm clothes.
Make sure you have layers, and room enough to move around in everything. If you're dressed warmly you will have a great time!

I live in MN, and I hate going outside LOL, but I just wanted to chime in and agree, duck boots will not cut it. Also not sure exactly when you are going but they have a serious cold snap coming in up there, next weekend, not sure how it will look after that.

I'm with you. The main thing I'd take if I were going on this vacation: a full tank of gas so I can get back to warm weather!
Maybe try ebay? I've had excellent luck buying hiking boots over the years.
Yeah, I'm going to to be prepared for anything. I'll be the one in the fetal position in the airport if we get snowed in and stuck there.
I live in Syracuse where it has been in the teens low 20’s. We are considering a move to Minneapolis but it really too cold for me. Dress warm and take plenty of socks
This does not help me. At. All.
Oh boy- I think you're going to need to get everyone outfitted from head to toe if you really want to enjoy being outside for hours.
-warm hats ( we always cover ears too)
-base layers ( top and bottom). Then your snow pants. On top ideally good base layer, then another layer like a fleece/flannel, then a warm coat.
-good mittens and good socks- at least a few pair of socks each. We like smart wool. They dont itch at all and arent hugely thick but very warm.
-insulated boots. We like LLBean- Northwood kid boots are great and not too pricey- they come with two insulated liners to swap out.
Base layers should NOT be cotton. We have good luck at Marshalls type stores for a lot of these things. LLBean is great for warm clothes.
Make sure you have layers, and room enough to move around in everything. If you're dressed warmly you will have a great time!
We are going to look like that little brother on A Christmas Story :P
I live in MN, and I hate going outside LOL, but I just wanted to chime in and agree, duck boots will not cut it. Also not sure exactly when you are going but they have a serious cold snap coming in up there, next weekend, not sure how it will look after that.
Sounds like a good excuse to cancel!! We will be there 2/12; hopefully there won't be any snow storms!

Another thought--my DH took the kids skiing a couple weeks ago (MLK weekend). We've lived in NC for 5 years, my kids mostly outgrew the gear that we had. DH was able to rent skis, boots, bindings, helmets, goggles. We were also able to borrow some gear from equally idiotic friends who occasionally ski 😜 .

Over the weekend, my kids skied, skated, and went tubing. They really did have a good time. I stayed home--I had a good time, too.

I’m originally from Michigan.

The key, as others have said, is layers. I would wear some kind of thermal layer (underwear), with another layer on top (fleece, for example). Then a ski/snow coat. You might want the coat to be a bit bigger than what you would normally wear- it’ll need to be big enough for you to move around. Same with snow pants.

You’ll probably want “proper” ski boots for skiing. I’m not big on skiing. Some kind of insulated (and waterproof!) boot will be fine for general wear. My sister actually has a pair of Duck boots she uses for snow walks, but I think they’re more “winterized” than a standard pair. You’ll want nice, thick socks, and multiple pairs. You may want to wear them around the cabin anyways. And test to make sure your boots are big enough to accommodate them.

And then hat/ear warmers and glove/mittens. I’d wear a gaiter too- they’re very stylish this year! Ha.

Dick’s is good for this kind of stuff, but there are many options. Check out camping and hunting sections.

In addition to the excellent advice above, I wanted to add that layering non obvious items is also really helpful - I do a lot of cold weather adventure travel and will often wear multiple pairs of gloves, socks and hats.

You've gotten a lot of really good advice, I'll add that for skiing and snow mobiling your outer jacket layer should be waterproof or very water resistant. Nothing is worse than cold and wet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter