PLEASE HELP A NEWBIE - Budget vs. Enterprise

Miss Hunnybee

Disney Fanatic
Hi guys! I had posted a question earlier about Enterprise, but now I'm considering Budget. I am renting a minivan in November. I have NEVER rented a car before. Have to rent the morning of our trip, from Vero Beach, because we need more space than our car has.

I reserved a minivan from Enterprise through Hotwire. Got an ok rate of $586.00, picking up on a Friday, returning two Mondays later since they are closed on Sunday. THEN I got a great code for Budget here on the DIS. WOW - same car type, same days, unlimited miles, for $422.00. I was thrilled...

UNTIL I started reading all the negative reviews for Budget. Extra charges, hidden fees, people being tricked into purchasing insurance (Which we don't need), being charged for tolls (We have a SunPass already). I booked online and have NO OPTIONS, SERVICES or PROTECTIONS confirmed. I didn't pre-pay because I figured I would wait and see what it was like at the counter, if they had a mini van for us that morning, etc. etc.

I kept my Hotwire Enterprise reservation - for $164.00 more - just in case. Can you guys PLEASE help me out :worship: Am I going to get scammed by Budget? Should I stick with Enterprise? Or am I WAAAAAAAY overthinking, as usaul :surfweb:

I didn't know you could alter a Hotwire ressie? :confused3 Are you sure you haven't already *bought* the Enterprise rental? You may find that you are stuck paying for it even if you try to change..and be very careful about "rebooking" on Hotwire and you may be charged for both rentals.

Thanks for replying! I have never used Hotwire before, but in doing my research I knew that the Super Deals (Or some such title) were non-refundable and required a credit card. I got an average, everyday rate. I didn't have to put down a deposit nor give a credit card number. Just name, email, phone, over 25 year old driver and whether or not I wanted insurance. It was very easy. Maybe too easy...

DUH, sorry, it states on Hotwire that my deal can be cancelled at any time without penalty. SORRY! This is what happens when I multitask!

Rental rates tend to go down closer to the time you're traveling, so keep checking. What i usually do is search for the best rate I can find for the time I'm traveling, book a reservation, and then keep checking prices with the different codes and coupons that come out.

If I find a better price, I book the new one and cancel the old one. Mousesavers.com is a great resource for codes and coupons. I'll usually check once a week until about two weeks before I'm traveling, then every couple of days. If I find a better deal, great. If not, I know I probably got the best deal I could. Win-win.

And personally, I've rented from Budget a few times and never had a problem. Of course, YMMV. Good luck and happy hunting!

I've never run into the problems that you've described with Budget, but after being a customer for 10 years my local agency now refuses debit cards unless backed by a real credit card and nearly torpedoed our 4th of July trip. :headache: LUCKILY I managed to get a car from Enterprise without headache and saved our vacation. I've been dealing with Enterprise for about 8 years but they will now get all of my business by default.

DUH, sorry, it states on Hotwire that my deal can be cancelled at any time without penalty. SORRY! This is what happens when I multitask!

Oops, sorry. They must have changed along the way...good to hear you can keep shopping. :)

Rental rates tend to go down closer to the time you're traveling, so keep checking. What i usually do is search for the best rate I can find for the time I'm traveling, book a reservation, and then keep checking prices with the different codes and coupons that come out.

If I find a better price, I book the new one and cancel the old one. Mousesavers.com is a great resource for codes and coupons. I'll usually check once a week until about two weeks before I'm traveling, then every couple of days. If I find a better deal, great. If not, I know I probably got the best deal I could. Win-win.

And personally, I've rented from Budget a few times and never had a problem. Of course, YMMV. Good luck and happy hunting!

Great advice! Thanks you so much!

I've never run into the problems that you've described with Budget, but after being a customer for 10 years my local agency now refuses debit cards unless backed by a real credit card and nearly torpedoed our 4th of July trip. :headache: LUCKILY I managed to get a car from Enterprise without headache and saved our vacation. I've been dealing with Enterprise for about 8 years but they will now get all of my business by default.

I hate when policy changes like that. Don't they realize that they are alienating customers! There is nothing wrong with the debit card policy as it stands - with the $200.00 or so deposit. Glad you like Enterprise!

Oops, sorry. They must have changed along the way...good to hear you can keep shopping. :)

Oh my goodness, I hope you didn't think that DUH was to you! It was to me, for not explaining the policy in my first reply to you. I am soooooooo sorry if you thought my reply was rude, again this is what happens when I try to post on the Dis, read Budget reviews and shop on amazon for my brother's birthday gift. I REALLY appreciate your advice! :goodvibes

I totally second using the advice from Mousesavers.com....I usually don't rent for WDW, but use cars in Seattle and New Orleans and always end of getting a decent deal for Alamo with help from mousesavers. Also, check often before your trip too....I check every other day before my last trip and saved an extra $20!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter