Please help a 1st time cruiser - Fantasy West Carabean January 2013

Down Under Minnies

Earning My Ears
Hi...........we are 1st time cruisers coming from Australia and we will be on the Fantasy 7 night (Western) Carabean Cruise in January 2013.

Can experienced cruisers please give general advice on what to expect weather / temperature wise during this time of year.

Will it be too cold to swim on the ship and at ports?
Are the pools on the ship heated?
Will we need to bring a heavy coat for the cruise?
Are the cabins warm at night?

Just a little concerned we may be cold. We certainly dont want to bring excessive luggage - large heavy jackets overseas if they are not needed.

For those of you cruising in January.... what are you packing to keep warm?

Thank You.

Hi...........we are 1st time cruisers coming from Australia and we will be on the Fantasy 7 night (Western) Carabean Cruise in January 2013.

Can experienced cruisers please give general advice on what to expect weather / temperature wise during this time of year.

Will it be too cold to swim on the ship and at ports?
Are the pools on the ship heated?
Will we need to bring a heavy coat for the cruise?
Are the cabins warm at night?

Just a little concerned we may be cold. We certainly dont want to bring excessive luggage - large heavy jackets overseas if they are not needed.

For those of you cruising in January.... what are you packing to keep warm?

Thank You.

The weather really varies year from year, there are times when the temp is in the 40's and 50's which is cool for Florida. Once in the Caribbean the average temps are highs in the low 80's and lows in the upper 60's, plenty warm to go swimming on the ship. So a sweater is advisable for the evenings and for the dining rooms on board the ship because they have a tendency to be cold during dinner. Also keep in mind that when the ship is moving the deck can get a little chilly from the wind especially in the evenings.
If the pool temps drop below 75 degrees then they are heated. It is one of the fun facts and tips on DCL's website.
You can control the temperature in your room so you can make it as warm or as cold as you would like it to be. Other threads have mentioned that if the range of temperature isn't cool enough for you, your stateroom host/hostess or a maintenance worker can adjust the range for you.
I would definitely check the weather forecast for Port Canaveral before you leave home to decide if you will need a heavy coat but chances are you will be fine with a heavy sweater.
What January sailing are you on?

We're first time cruisers on the Jan 5/13 Western Caribbean too! (DS5, DD5, DW, and me!). We're coming from Canada, so anything will be warmer than where we're coming from in January!! ;)

Sail Date 5th January.

Thank you so much for your advice.

My family and I will also be on that cruise! :banana: We do have a meet thread going for this sail date: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2826755&highlight=11006
Also we started a thread for fish extenders if you and your family would be interested in that: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2926752&highlight=11006
Hope to see you on the meet thread, there are a number of other people who would be more than willing to help answer anymore questions about our specific cruise date.

We sailed the western last Jan and the weather was lovely. Coolest day was in Castaway and the kids still swam. Pools were heated I believe and we're packed!!! It was Definately the warmest in Cozumel and Grand Caymen. Low 30 's (Celsius) I believe. The weather was such a welcome to us that we are booked on the Eastern this Jan

It depends on your definition of cold. As a Floridian, I'm used to warm/hot temperatures mostly year-round. So when we get cold fronts, it's freezing.

I did a 4-night Dream cruise to the Bahamas last January (mid-month) and we had a pretty big cold front come through that weekend. While the temperature was in the high 60's, the coastal wind made it feel much cooler. To me, even in the middle of the Bahamas, it was still chilly. Comfortable without the wind, but not warm enough to swim. The pools on board were heated, but the wind made even sitting poolside unbearable without a heavy sweater. The water temperature at Castaway Cay had to be in the 50's or low 60's ... it was freezing. I had been recovering from a cold, stubbornly persisted to use the snorkel gear I rented, forced myself in the water, and had Bronchitis by the time I got home.

I would definitely pack a sweater and a sweatshirt or two. You won't need a jacket/coat in the Caribbean, but with the sea breeze, it'll be at least chilly. I would consider investing in rash guards, if not a form of wet suit, to swim in the ocean if you're not used to colder temperatures.

We're first time cruisers on the Jan 5/13 Western Caribbean too! (DS5, DD5, DW, and me!). We're coming from Canada, so anything will be warmer than where we're coming from in January!! ;)

Nice to know there will be other fellow Canadians on board, dodging the cold at home, on this cruise. My family and I (DW, DS7, DD5 and me) will be coming down from Ottawa to enjoy this cruise. :cool1:

Nice to know there will be other fellow Canadians on board, dodging the cold at home, on this cruise. My family and I (DW, DS7, DD5 and me) will be coming down from Ottawa to enjoy this cruise. :cool1:

Are you on the cruise meet thread? I posted the link a couple of posts back if you are not on there yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter