• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please, have a LITTLE consideration

Billinaz

Moving within sight of Port Canaveral!
I just got back from the 2/1/04 Wonder and had a couple of experiences with INCONSIDERATE people that I cannot believe.

1.)I saw someone remove an infant from the Mickey ear then place the kid in the Mickey Pool. I also saw another person pull a kid out of the mickey pool, change his swimming diaper then put the kid back in the pool. They had to clean the pool more than once during this trip, and it forced other kids to have to wait.

2.) At Castaway Cay, we were off the ship early but all the hammocks already had stuff on them. I saw ONE of them occupied by a living. breathing person up until the time we left.

People starting dragging chairs up in front of ours and positioning themselves so that we could not see our kinds in the water.

Sorry to hear about the inconsideration. I thought there were no swim diapers allowed in the pools. Did I read that wrong or is it just not enforced? I'm sure you were tempted to remove the items from the hammocks. I would have been. I went to the movie Miracle last night and the man beside us talked through the whole thing in a normal tone not even an attempted whisper. He was completely oblivious to the rest of us. It was as if he was sitting in his living room. I guess there are inconsiderate people every where. You wonder if they don't realize or just don't care. :mad:

Ok, first question: what is the Mickey ear?? LOL I have not been on my cruise yet, so I need to find out all I can about what to watch for. :rolleyes:

I find it very frustrating and rude for someone to drag a chair in front of the line to get a better spot. I mean, this happends alot at beaches, air shows, etc. We make a point to get there very early to get a good spot and then to have someone come in long after and plop down right in front blocking the view we get up at the crack of dawn to obtain?? LOL Ok, I'll get off my soap box. pirate:

I'll play devil's advocate here on the hammock issue. Early birds get good chairs in good locations (although rude people might plop down in front of them, but that's another issue). So would you remove a person's items from a lounge chair if you decided that you wanted that better spot and they were in the water, kayaking, taking photos, having lunch or whatever? Personally, I believe the same thing goes for the hammocks as it does for the chairs. If a person gets up early and is one of the first onto the island, I think they are entitled to a hammock and to use it how they want, just like you do a chair. That's just my opinion, but I don't see a difference...if you wouldn't claim someone's chair, you shouldn't try to claim their hammock.
Of course, we could go into the whole "people putting a small item on a pool chair in the morning and not using it the whole day" issue (in that case, I would definitely remove it and plop my butt down...an onboard chair is much different than a beach, as you don't need to have somewhere to leave your stuff while you're off doing whatever all day...that's what a stateroom is for), but I'm going to resist and get off my soapbox!
That's just my opinion, so flame away as I got a flame retardant suit for Christmas.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

MontiD, Mickeys ear is a part of the Mickey pool that is just for kids in swim diapers. The water is constantly filtered.

Billinaz, I think I would have actually moved the stuff off the hamocks if I had wanted to lay there. People like this make me soo angry. On our sailing in may even if there happened to be a empty chair next to us at the pool I would share mine with my daughter instead of letting her use her own, since she was in the pool most of the time and chairs were in short supply. We had a family that was at the pool everyday and the wife must have got there at the crack of dawn because every day when I would go out there she would have 5 chairs filled up with stuff. One for each of her children who would never even sit there, they were always swimming. She would even leave their stuff there when they went to lunch. Two of those days we needed chairs so I moved her stuff off of two of the chairs. When she came back about 2 hours later she gave me a dirty look but didnt say anything to me. I asked one of the CM's before I did this and he said go for it, they are not allowed to save chairs. I would imagine this rule goes for the hamocks at CC too. Sorry this took so long your post just reminded me of me situation and I had to vent. :D

Sure hate the violations on the kids pool. On our last trip our kids went into the other pool. We told them to swim there after we saw them cleaning the pool out after antoher accident in it.

I have to reply and may get flamed. I have been one to pull chairs down in front of the "line" before and don't consider it rude. In order to get a group of chairs together for our group, we have had to hunt for free chairs and the only spot left to put 4 chairs together may just be in front of the "line". I guess if it is that important to keep kids in view, maybe set up closer or join your kids in the water. It is bad enough people save chairs and hammocks, but if that is the only way to get them together then I will do it. I always try to not set up directly in front of anyone but there is only so much I can do.

Just my 2 cents.

DG

We got to Castaway Cay early enough to find a hammock about half way down the beach. We actually used it a little more than half the time we were on the beach, and kept our stuff on it when we snorkled and used the bikes...but when we left we made sure that we let people around us know we were done, and left not only the empty hammock, but also the floats we had rented, in case others wanted to use them.

I agree that "hogging" things and never using them is frustrating, we saw SO MUCH of this by the pools, but I also think it's not realistic to think that someone would be in the seat/lounger/hammock 100% of the time. They should put more hammocks out there, for sure!

I agree that there are many, many rude people in this world. And, they all seem to be on vacation whenever my family is on vacation! My best story (a bit off topic) is when we were at HIFS last year. A 10 year old boy threw up in the big "waterpark" type pool. I saw it happen and got my kids out of the pool ASAP. I then watched in horror as the boy's mother took him out of the pool by 1 ladder, only to let him jump right back into another part of the pool. Not to gross anyone out or anything ... but there were chunks in the pool! We reported the incident, since the mother obviously wasn't going to. Then the pool was closed (for everyone) for several hours to clean up his mess!!!

And all of us with older kids know that the potty training years are tough to get through, and it is hard to keep little ones out of the pool, especially if they have older siblings, but how can those obnoxious parents put everyone else's kids at risk by letting kids who aren't trained into public pools!!! Gross...

Just my 2 cents. I hope things go more smoothly for our 1st ever cruise Feb 19 3 day Wonder!!!

We were on the 1/31 magic and I noticed that many of the kids were either potty trained mighty young or going with just a swimsuit no swim pants.
The starboard mickey ear for those who are not potty trained was mostly full of bigger kids.
The main fun thing I guess for the kids to do is jump from the side of the mickey ear into the mickey head part of the pool.

I found that especially if you were in the front of the beach at Castaway that people would kick sand at you or drag their round float on top of you so you are full of sand.

I think it is absolutely "nasty" for a parent to put a kid who is not potty trained into a pool such as a Disney Cruise pool. The parents who does this does not want to put the time and effort into their children so they drop them in the pool so they can chat with adults. Fine.....have your conversation put be conscious of your children and what they are doing.

I also find that these are the same parents who use the library as a daycare center. Our local library had to change the rules to not allow kids without parents because all of these kids are in the library cursing, swearing, and tearing up with no one to supervise them. These are the parents who let their children play with the food in the lines at buffet restaurants or who let their children play in the public water fountains. This is exactly why I have stopped using public water fountains or eating at buffet restaurants.

Short story -- in Marshall Fields department store and this kid is just running around pulling stuff off of the racks....literally tearing up the place. About 30 minutes later.....an annoucement comes on an they have locked the doors of the store because a child is missing. You guessed it .... it was the child that was tearing up the store. His mother had no idea where he was. So I went over and got his little "butt" out from under the clothing rack and marched him to the nearest store employee. So they announced the child was found....but when his mother showed up she acted like she just turned away for a second and he was goine. I quickly let her know that she was lying and that she had completely ignored her son for the 30 minutes we were shopping for clothes for my daughter. Then store manager then gave the best speech to this mother and asked her what was more important to her....her child or the shopping. She was so embarrassed and turn red in the face.

What every happend to parents watching their children. Mind you -- I am 32 years old with an eight year old of my own. I can just give her that "look" and she knows.

Parents these days completely ignore there kids and just let them run free. The lady with the sick kids in the pool needs a good ole' fashion butt whipping for that one. Just nasty!!!!!

I look forward to my Disney Cruise and hope I don't experience the rudeness that some of you have discussed.

Happy sailing! Let the flames begin!!!!

Originally posted by lsteadman

(SNIP)
What every happend to parents watching their children. Mind you -- I am 32 years old with an eight year old of my own. I can just give her that "look" and she knows.
(/SNIP)

No Flames here... just a :D I often wonder why people don't watch their kids.

When my son(11) sees kids doing things they shouldn't with or without parental supervision, he whispers to me "You would ground me for a month if I did that." ::yes::

Cindy in NY

I teach young children all year long, and especially in the winter we ask that the parents not bring their kids to class when they are sick & we hand out notices telling the parents that a stuffy nose is one thing but that when it is accompanied by mucus that has color, green or yellow- that it can be contagious! NO ONE listens to this! I spend my whole day whiping little noses, even when I am teaching a "Mommy & Me" class & the parents are standing right there! I swear my hands are going to fall off from the antibacterial that I use!! True story: a mom dropped off her child at 9:30 am & as soon as she left I noticed that the little girls eye was completely glassed over & practically oozing gunk out of it- SO obviously pink eye, when I called, the mom was in shock, telling me it hadn't been there that morning!!!! Are you telling me that her eye got that bad out of nowhere in less than 5minutes?!?! It's almost as if the parents would rather have their kids get others sick then keep them home, god forbid we take the time to care for the children that we brought into the world..... I just realized that I sound really mean, pardon me but I am (for the 4th time this winter) sick again & as I sit here popping cough drops I am imagining the little runny noses...:headache: And about the hammocks, I haven't been to CC yet but unless there are as many hammocks as their are beach chairs I think that they should be treated differently. I can see using your beach chair all day but I don't think that is fair as far as a hammock goes & I would definately place someones things next to the hammock to use it if it were being "held", yes I think the early bird gets the worm, but if you're not using the worm you should allow others to enjoy it. If we all shared everyone would be happy!:D

No diapers in the pool. Period. It's a rule. Follow it.

Pulling chairs forward? If you have kids in the water that you need to watch, your chairs probably should have been as close to the water as you could get them already.

Saving hammocks? Well I've said this before, but how about sharing?????? We teach our kids to share from the time they are old enough to play with others. Why can't we adults do it?

If I have a hammock, I will use it and then ask a person near me if they would like to and then ask them to "pay it forward."

Really. We are all on dream vacations, why can't we help others have just as nice a time as we are having?

I'm not a negative type of person, but I did notice quite a few "me-first" types on the Disney cruise.

I'll just tell one story: Another lady -- no, make that a woman, she wasn't a lady -- and I were walking toward two empty pool chairs at the same time (of course they were the last two pool chairs). She saw me walking toward them, but she got there one second sooner and grabbed them both! I asked if she needed both, and apologetically she said that she needed the other chair FOR HER STUFF because she hates for it to get wet on the ground. I didn't complain, but I also wasn't nice to her: I turned around and stood IN FRONT OF HER so that she couldn't see her kids in the pool. I could see her shadow, so I knew every time she moved, and I moved too. I know I irritated her, but it was plain nasty to take two chairs for herself while others were standing!

As for the Mickey pool, we found it terribly overcrowded during the day -- but my girls really enjoyed a 10:00 swim all by themselves! Of course, the slide was closed, but the solitude was worth it. I think we did this three nights, and we had the place to ourselves for two of those nights.

Disclaimer: My girls are both elementary-school aged, they are completely potty-trained, and neither wears diapers of any type.

Here's a hint for Castaway Cay: Keep walking. Go alllllll the way to the end of the family beach, and you'll find plenty of empty chairs and even a few hamocks (though they're in the sun). You'll be very near the Heads Up Bar, a restroom, and a float rental. We loved it down on that end -- we were almost alone until after lunchtime, and even later in the day it wasn't crowded. At first we didn't go that far down, thinking that end was the teen beach -- but then DH went walking a bit and realized that there was much more island than we'd realized!

(
Originally posted by MrsPete
I'm not a negative type of person, but I did notice quite a few "me-first" types on the Disney cruise.

I'll just tell one story: Another lady -- no, make that a woman, she wasn't a lady -- and I were walking toward two empty pool chairs at the same time (of course they were the last two pool chairs). She saw me walking toward them, but she got there one second sooner and grabbed them both! I asked if she needed both, and apologetically she said that she needed the other chair FOR HER STUFF because she hates for it to get wet on the ground. I didn't complain, but I also wasn't nice to her: I turned around and stood IN FRONT OF HER so that she couldn't see her kids in the pool. I could see her shadow, so I knew every time she moved, and I moved too. I know I irritated her, but it was plain nasty to take two chairs for herself while others were standing!

Can I just tell you that I almost fell off my chair with laughter when I read this! That was GREAT! I can't beleive she actually admitted that she was using it for her stuff! She could have a least lied and said her husband or someone was coming. I am just love that you had the "b***s" (excuse my french) to stand in front of her!

I know it is not nice to do things like that, but I saw so much of it on my cruise - I am just glad to see someone stepped up with some action!:teeth:

I had the opposite happen to me, I went to the restroom with my daughter, and when we got back (about 3 minutes later) all of my stuff was in a puddle next to the chair I was just on. I was furious! I can see if I had been gone a long time - but I am telling you - 3 minutes! People are so inconsiderate

Well, my cut & paste doesn't want to work, but to the teacher who had a child dropped off with pink eye--it can happen quickly.
Obviously the virus or whatever is growing for awhile before symptoms show, but I had a case of pink eye (probably from my son) that did seem to just appear out of nowhere. My eyes were itchy and a little watery, but nothing remarkable. Then someone said I had something in my eye. It was pus! Just like that! By the time I got home both eyes were swollen shut. However, I do agree that many parents drop off sick kids for their convenience. That's problably how I got the pink eye from my son.

Insofar as discipline, well, I agree that children shouldn't be allowed to run amock. However, what can you do when you try to discipline your child only to be overruled by a waitress, store clerk, whatever? so many times I've attempted to correct my children's behavior only to have someon else say "Oh, that's all right". Like as though what I say doesn't mean squat! My kids quickly pick up on this and realize chances are somebody's going to take up for them. As though how my kids behave is anyone else's business! I have twins, a boy and girl. I sometimes feel like a spectacle everywhere we go. It seems we can't put foot outside our door without hearing how "cute" my children are. Then people act as though they want my kids to put on a cutie-pie show ( what's you name, how old are you, etc) , for which my kids oblige. Like as though that's what I'm there for, not to conduct my business and leave. Then if the kid acts up and I correct them I can count on someone saying "that's alright". I've learned to say "No, its not alright. I just said it isn't". And I tell my kids its not what other people say, its what I say that matters. Still, could do without the interference from the general public.

We did have our chairs close to the water, and did not have to move them. They are all in a row, just a couple of steps from the water. People were dragging chairs right to the waters edge, they had to know there were others behind them. They just did not give a cr*p.

The hammocks were all piled with stuff, but not only were they not used the entire time I was there, I noticed that there was nobody near them when I walked the entire length of the beach.

People must have put stuff on them then returned to the ship.

My husband took the kids up to the pool about 8:00 a.m. to swim....not a soul in sight, but almost every chair had been saved...not just with towels, but with personal stuff...i.e. shoes, sunscreen, stuff like that. He tossed a towel off a chair and sat there, and for at least 45 minutes, there was no one else at the pool. He was mildly irritated, but blew it off, because WE WERE ON A DISNEY CRUISE. That was our mantra.

I noticed a degree of rudeness while waiting for an elevator. I push the button, wait, and as soon as the doors open 8 people flood past me and crowd the elevator, leaving me still out in the hall. After that happening twice the first day, I walked the stairs everywhere. Ended up being quicker.

But it was all good because WE WERE ON A DISNEY CRUISE.

Brenda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter