Please give us some good cruise advice

Californiakids

Earning My Ears
We'll be on our first ever cruise aboard the Magic on June 26th. (ONLY TWO WEEKS AWAY!!) Please give us some tips or just good advice that you brought back from your own experiences. This will really help us and other new cruisers. THANKS!

:boat: :boat: :boat: :boat: :boat:

The best advice I can give is to read the post on these boards...pull up searches on specific topics, look at the section that is stuck at the top of the thread with links to helpful posts and if you have questions that you can't find the answers to ask away!:earsboy:

Read the trip reports. Lot's of information and ideas just be reading what others have done. On our first cruise it seemed as if I had been on board many teams just by reading the board and reading the trip reports.

have a great trip

My best advice after 5 of them?

Take your time, don't overplan- you won't get to do everything they offer anyhow. Pick 1 or two things a day that you have as do not miss items. Anything else, you get to it, great, but don't overwork yourselves.

Enjoy your trip!

If you wear glasses, have an extra pair with you, just in case!!!

I was just going to say the same thing. Don't try to do everything. It will make you crazy. We gave up by Sunday and just relaxed. We had the time of our lives. Eat .. a lot .... spoil yourselves.. go to some of the shows.... explore some ports...... order room service (especially late at night) ..... smile with Mickey.... have fun and don't miss the Sail Away Party!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great trip!:wave2: :teeth:

First Cruis Tips:
*Get to the port by 11am. Gives you time to look around the beautiful building, go outside and look at the ship (most of the time you are on the ship looking down, this way you get a good look at how huge it is), look at the model of the ship in the terminal and get your pictures with the Disney Characters.
*Try items for dinners that you 've never had before - if you don't like it, they'll bring you something else
*Go to the shows in the Walt Disney Theater
*Go to the family shows between the dinner seating times
*Go to the "adult" shows later in the evening
*Walk around deck 4 at night with your significant other (but remember to use your room for the really mushy stuff;) )
*Send yourself a postcard from every port (wish we had done this)
*Take the stairs not the elevators - you will work off some of the food you've been eating and have more room for desserts
*If on a 7 nighter - go to Palo for Brunch - it's wonderful
*Check out the daily Personal Navigator for the days activities, note start time AND location
*Don't stress the little stuff and if anything major goes wrong - try and go with the flow.
*If you don't have the kids in tow - try and visit the adult beach on Castaway Cay for some quiet relaxation.
*Remember - you can't do it all - you may have to make some tough decisions on what not to do (the easiest thing for me to skip is the movies because I can see them at home)
*On a sea day when the ship is cruising at 20knts, into a stiff breaze, go up to deck 10 forward and walk in front of the wind screen that's protecting the basketball/sports court. Just be sure to hold onto any hats, glasses and small children (I can fly!). It always makes me laugh!

Most of all - HAVE FUN

Relax! Remember that you are on vacation and don't try to do it all. We're veterans of 10 cruises on the Magic....2 more booked.....

Pick one or two things you really want to do each day. In between, just go with the flow.

Insist that the kids do the kid programs at least for a few hours the first day or 2. We look at the kid navigator and pick 2 things they want to do in the program. This gives the parents some "alone" time. Usually, if kiddo spends a little time in programming in the first day or 2, she makes a friend and then WANTS to go back. Making a friend is the key.

Order things you've always wanted to try....if you hate it, they'll gladly bring you something else....it's all paid for already.

RELAX!!!! ENJOY!!! Don't run yourself ragged.

Originally posted by Californiakids
We'll be on our first ever cruise aboard the Magic on June 26th. (ONLY TWO WEEKS AWAY!!) Please give us some tips or just good advice that you brought back from your own experiences. This will really help us and other new cruisers. THANKS!

:boat: :boat: :boat: :boat: :boat:

Bring twice the amount of film you planned on and half the amount of clothes! :)

Send your clothes out for pressing on the ship. I ironed everything before and packed like I always do but for some reason, this time everything in my garment bags were REALLY wrinkled. We sent it all out, had it back the next day and it only cost $18.00. Not a bad deal at all.
If you are flying, consider packing a few things for everyone in each piece of luggage. Two pieces of my DSIL luggage did not make it on the boat from the airline so she had no clothes at all. My brother had all of his because the luggage with his clothes in it made it on. I'm sure it won't happen to you but from now on that is how I am going to pack.
Just relax and enjoy everything, it goes by so quickly.:D

Some tips... I don't think I saw this anywhere, but really helpful, although this may sound funny...do NOT pack clothes that fit just right when you go...they will be tight by the end of the week...pack clothes that you have room in, and don't worry, you can lose the inches when you get back home .... enjoy yourself on the cruise...!

Also, I agree, try really hard to get to the adult beach at CC... it is well worth it... when we went last year, the adult beach was nearly empty, while the family beach was way crowded...

Get to Palo's no matter what...well worth it... we opted for a 9:30 pm dinner there, and picked up a little something around six, to tide us over...

Have fun...and book again before you leave... when I saw people doing this, I thought they were nuts... that was the first or second night of the cruise...by the 3rd night I was thinking about it, and by the last day, we were already booked!!! for this year...we leave in about 5 weeks for our 2nd cruise...!

Good luck...

Great insider info. It's one thing to read a book, but to hear it from experienced cruisers is awesome. Thanks,and keep it coming.

::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

My best advice...have a great time...you will no matter what!!!!

I'm sailing June 26th too for our 1st cruise. I've been totally nervous. Thanks for all the tips. I really enjoy reading these & will keep looking for more.

::MickeyMo :boat:

In St. Thomas, try to be on deck 9 or 10 and watch the Magic sail away from port. It's soooooo cool to watch her leave the other ships in port and to watch the beautiful islands go by.

You'll see it elsewhere, but I wouldn't sail without my power strip, shoe hanger(to put toiletries in) and suction cup hooks. They were little things that made our cruise smoother.

If you have any special occasions or wishes be sure to let your servers know. They really want you to have a MAGICal trip and they really do give "Excellent" service.

If you have questions on board, ASK a crew member. We found everyone extremely helpful.

Oh, oh! Thought of another one!! Must order the All Hands on Deck cheese platter for an in-room snack!!
A plate of cookies and milk for the kids at night -- along with either a SILVER carafe of hot water for tea or the SILVER carafe of coffee at night. They will still be piping hot in the morning. You must ask for the silver carafe though. The other carafes don't work as well. :)

to my first ever cruiser,
ahhh i remember our 1st cruise... just about a month and a half ago. The best advice i can give to you is...

1. RELAX!! ... i was just recovering from mono so i did plenty of this. Its so nice to be able to sit next to the pool and soak up the sun

2. ENDULGE ... the food is spectacular!! try a bit of everything... dont say no!

3. While on the islands... if you see it, and you like it!... BUY IT! you wont be back ... this is a vacation.. treat yourself

4. Im going to go back on myselff... yes relax but also try and go to the ships activities. Theres sooooo much to do!! try something (and let me know how it is ;) )

5. LAst but not least .... HAVE FUN!!!

Smooth sailing!!! hope all goes well!!:wave:

Check out the old navigators at ***************** Get a feel for everything that is offered than pick a few things you want to try.

If you have kids check out their navigators as well, mine were much happier having an idea of what would be on offer, then facing the unknown.

Try the rainforest room

Spend an hour or more if you don't have a veranda on deck 4 reading.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter