Please get all judgmental about this Newbie's plans....

Thank you all so much. What really stresses me about the planning is where to make the FP+ for each day. This for me is the most confusing part. Without having to make those plans, I would feel comfortable just starting somewhere and then winging it a bit. The only ADRs I really want in a park are SciFi & Prime Time at HS; I also want to do the tea at GF but that's not in a park so I'm not too worried about that. And if I don't get those, I'll live. I can eat anything; it's not a big deal for us.

How do you decide which park to make your FP+ for, and how does that drive where you plan to be?

Thank you all so much. What really stresses me about the planning is where to make the FP+ for each day. This for me is the most confusing part. Without having to make those plans, I would feel comfortable just starting somewhere and then winging it a bit. The only ADRs I really want in a park are SciFi & Prime Time at HS; I also want to do the tea at GF but that's not in a park so I'm not too worried about that. And if I don't get those, I'll live. I can eat anything; it's not a big deal for us.

How do you decide which park to make your FP+ for, and how does that drive where you plan to be?

I enjoyed the Tea at the Grand Floridian very much. Everything I ate was wonderful. I would do it again if I go back to WDW.

I have not had park hoppers since the implementation of FP+, so I cannot help you there.

Just a couple comments...

- You say you land at 4:30 pm. I'm assuming since you say you will have a car, you are not using DME? Even if that is the case, you will probably not arrive at POR until 6ish. Check in, catch a bus, you could be at the MK about 7:00. But what if your flight is delayed? What time do you have to leave home in the morning? We much prefer exploring the resort and maybe an evening at Disney Springs on arrival day. From POR it's a lovely boat ride!

- You mention being early risers, which is great, but remember the time difference. The first few days in particular it may be a bit difficult to get out of bed at 3-4 am body time!

- Have you ever been to AK? Give it a chance, we love it. The theming and attention to detail in the design is brilliant, the food is very good, and the two best musical shows on property are there. I hope you like it!

- As for deciding which park to FP, it just depends. (Isn't that helpful?) I'd figure out one day to do FP at each of the parks, and the other days, FP at the park with the attractions you enjoy the most. AK doesn't really NEED FP, as long as you do Safari first thing and possibly single rider line for Everest, so that's another day for one of the other parks.

- Don't stress too much; you're already ahead of the game with the planning you are doing. Have fun!

I think these hoppers are really stressing you out!!! My advice, start with base tickets, pick a park for each day and make your plans - ADR's, FP+. If you decide you want to hop, you can always upgrade your tickets while you are there!!! That gives you flexibility without committing yourself to purchasing the hoppers now and feeling like you "have to get your money's worth". And, hey, if you don't want to go to AK, it's ok!!! I would focus on the three parks you want to go to, pick your days and FP+. If a few days into your trip you decide you want to go to AK, you can always switch your FP+ out - I have never had trouble getting any FP+ I've wanted at AK.

So, looking at the revised plan you came up with without hopping, I would do this:

May 8: MK in the evening, FP+ for Wishes and two of the biggies (I would try for 7DMT as one of them)

May 9: DHS, definitely FP+ Toy Story Midway Mania, make ADR's for SciFi and Prime Time

May 10: EPCOT, FP+ Test Track (and whatever else interests you)

May 11: I would schedule MK FP+ for this day. If you decide to visit EP instead, switch out your FP+

May 12: MK FP+ (schedule the GF tea this day or on May 13 as you seem to be sure you are visiting MK on these days)

May 13: MK FP+

May 14: MK FP+ (switch out to AK FP+ if you decide to go)

Just a couple comments...

- You say you land at 4:30 pm. I'm assuming since you say you will have a car, you are not using DME? Even if that is the case, you will probably not arrive at POR until 6ish. Check in, catch a bus, you could be at the MK about 7:00. But what if your flight is delayed? What time do you have to leave home in the morning? We much prefer exploring the resort and maybe an evening at Disney Springs on arrival day. From POR it's a lovely boat ride!

- Have you ever been to AK? Give it a chance, we love it. The theming and attention to detail in the design is brilliant, the food is very good, and the two best musical shows on property are there. I hope you like it!

- Don't stress too much; you're already ahead of the game with the planning you are doing. Have fun!
These were two of my first thoughts as well. Driving from the airport may also be your only chance to eat outside of Disney for a while (without losing precious park time). Between jetlag and rough travel we often take the first day to do non-park things such as DS, Hoop Dee Do review, Jellyrolls, or exploring the resort so we don't waste time later.

We always park hop, but we go at least once a year. AK gets a bad rap for being just a half day park, but there is much more than KS & Everest. If you get a chance search youtube.

HS on the other hand is something you might do in 1/2 a day. I try to split HS and Epcot twice, breaking Epcot into future world one day, and world showcase another. Three FP+ at HS, then eat and drink around the world. Remember even if Epcot opens at 8:00, world showcase does not open until 11 or 12.

Ropedrop at MK is something of an event, but consider getting an ADR before the parks open. Tusker House at AK and Crystal Palace at MK take ADRs before the park opens. This means you get great photos on your way to breakfast, then you're in the middle of the parks when everyone else is at the front for rope drop. (being you are talking about May, these may already be booked)

Even with having a car, look into Disney transportation. You can get from MK to Epcot faster on the monorail than walking to your car and driving. Same with Epcot and HS on the Friendships from the international gateway. The downside is getting back to your resort for breaks. I personally resort hop if we're not staying at a monorail or crescent lake resort. Wildreness lodge is a great place to relax in giant chairs for an hour, or lounge at the pool at GF.

Always remember no one way is right for everyone. Try to be flexible when you can. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

That's a good reason to NOT park hop. You really don't need to with 7 days. And that way, the "worry" over which park to book FP+ at, is gone. Also, as someone else pointed out, if you stick with one park per day, once you've used your 3 FP+, you can then make more! You won't have that option park hopping. A great plan with 1 park per day is: Book your FP+ for 10, 11 and 12. You typically are allowed in line about 5 minutes before your FP+ time, so RD as many rides as possible, do your 10:00, ride a couple more, get in line for your first FP+ ride at 10:55, then take an early lunch around 11:15ish when you're done that ride (places will not be nearly as busy at this time), hit your 12:00 FP+, then once it's done, book a 4th FP+ for whenever you want - immediately, later that afternoon after you take a break, that evening whatever. But, doing that, immediately booking a FP+ as soon as you use the last one, you can easily get 4, 5, even 6th FP+ that way (not necessarily on the main attractions of course, but sometimes you'll be able to for later in the evening)

Don't feel bad about wanting to skip Animal Kingdom, we skip it too. I have a child with severe animal and tree allergies, so we star clear. HS can be done in half a day, so if you do decide to get the hopper and go to AK, you can plan both of these parks for the same day. The biggest issue with your plan is FP, you want to make sure they are booked 60 days out. By waiting till the night of or day of(if your hopping), you likely won't get the rides your looking for. My suggestion is to make FP for your must dos for each park and plan on starting at those parks in the mornings. Then if you do hop you will be able to enjoy your evenings at a leisurely pace enjoying the things you won't need a FP for. No matter what you decide, have a great trip!

So with just one park per day, I think my new "idea" would be:

Sunday, May 8: Plane arrives around 4:30.
Schedule FP+ for MK in the evening and spend a few hours there the night we arrive.

Monday, May 9: Park Hours for this day include EMH 8 am @ AK; 9-11 pm @ Epcot
AK. Schedule FP+ for the new Rivers of Light, Kali and EE. You can easily rope drop the Safari.

Tuesday, May 10: Park Hours for this day include EMH 8 am @ MK
MK

Wednesday, May 11: Park Hours for this day include EMH 10 pm - 1 am @ MK
MK

Thursday, May 12: Park Hours for this day include EMH 8 am @ Epcot (FW)
EP.

Friday, May 13: Park Hours for this day include EMH 10 pm - midnight @HS
HS.

Saturday, May 13: Park Hours for this day include EMH 8 am @ AK
Drive to Kennedy Space Station and spend the day there. It's not a short drive, and you'll want to allow lots of time there. Trying to cram in a couple hours at the park is too much.

Don't feel bad about wanting to skip Animal Kingdom, we skip it too. I have a child with severe animal and tree allergies, so we star clear. HS can be done in half a day, so if you do decide to get the hopper and go to AK, you can plan both of these parks for the same day. The biggest issue with your plan is FP, you want to make sure they are booked 60 days out. By waiting till the night of or day of(if your hopping), you likely won't get the rides your looking for. My suggestion is to make FP for your must dos for each park and plan on starting at those parks in the mornings. Then if you do hop you will be able to enjoy your evenings at a leisurely pace enjoying the things you won't need a FP for. No matter what you decide, have a great trip!

HS can NOT be done in half a day, if the OP wants to take advantage of all the remaining attractions/shows. Since there is still: Tower of Terror, Rollercoaster, TSMM (definitely worth trying to ride twice), Star Tours, Launch Bay, Fantasmic, Frozen Sing a Long, Indiana Jones, Voyage of Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Disney Jr (depending on traveling ages), Great Movie Ride, Muppets 3D, and they want to do Sci-Fi. That's quite a full day, especially if they break it up with an afternoon break. HS can be done in half a day for those who like to skip a lot. However, I don't think it's wise to tell someone to only plan on half a day at HS, unless you know they plan on skipping a lot of stuff.

I am exhausted by the early mornings and he late evenings. I agree that the time diference is key here, as is the amount of walking duing the day, the potential heat, and then distances between each park. YIKES!

My family usually gets hoppers, and I have discovered that as we plan each trip we need them less and less. Last August we used them one time. It was a colossal waste of money for us. However, for the first few trips we used them a lot.

When I plan park days, I plan some early mornings, some late nights. WE love the evening entertainment, so I make sure we are in the parks for that, but the following morning we start a little later. I book FP so we don't need to rush.

When I look at your plans, even knowing that you dropped the three park day plan, I think that you are over enthusiastic about the hopping and the hours you plan each day. I would rethink some of that.

The new FP+ system sucks the fun out of the whole process, I agree. I went with what the Touring Plans said as far as when to get FP's. The other trips we've done with them, it has worked out very well, so I"m putting my faith in them. It takes much of the stress out of "am I doing this right??"

I would also caution you not to plan to be at the parks rope drop thru closing every day, unless you do that all the time. I chaperoned a high school field trip last year, where we did just that for 5 days in a row. We were all exhausted by the end of the week. Good for keeping teenagers out of trouble, but still. The last day at the park, I picked a bench and slept for 3 hours. You really can't do everything.

We used to do ADR and I got fed up of being tied down to times and places, so I now opt for just a couple of table service restaurants, then using quick service for the majority of our meals. Then FP+ arrived and same thing. So, I realised you do need them and they are great for the big rides, but what i now do, is book a day at each park and book my FP+ for the big rides those days. Now I am aware that some FP options are big ride A or B and then choose lower options. They can be booked on a second day, but I would often book those later in the day.
Now on your full days, book fast passes all as early as you can and get extras when all 3 used up. In MK we often manage 7 fast passes!

Now if you are happy with your choices leave other days empty to give you some freedom. We still found last minute, that we could get some quite nice fast passes, just not 7 Dwarves or Toy Story MM.

As others have said, I also vote for a day a park! Depending on the closing time for AK, I may look at hopping to another park after that. Then park hop on your non full days to do things you missed or get back to attractions you really enjoyed.

Also add my vote for AK, it is a great park and certainly has a lot more to do and both the Nemo and Lion King shows are well worth seeing.

I'd stick with getting the park hopper but plan on just one park per day. Then after your break decide which park you'd like to visit.

I hope you write a trip report. I'd be interested on reading about how you feel about the different parks after you visit them.

I wouldn't skip AK - not a chance. By the time OP visits ROL and night time safari may be open. Even without the new additions it's definitely worth a visit.

I will usually do my FPs late morning/early afternoon to leave room for flexibility later in the day.

Only one day in the original plan had 3 parks, so I'd better scratch that obviously. The rest of the plan is going to EMH with the recommended park the other one that day. Should I just do that on the days with morning EMH as most people can't make it up for rope drop, and then just do one park on the evening EMH days? I would have thought that 10pm-1am EMH would be hard for lots of people as there are so many people with smaller kids.

Or maybe just go with plan B and skip hoppers altogether, saving myself $250? I'm beginning to lean that way. I honestly wish I didn't have to plan all of this so far in advance just to ensure I have my ADRs and FP+. Crazy. Maybe I don't? How bad is it to just wait to get the FP+ there?

We love late EMH. We can get so much done at that time, and in May, the evenings should be very pleasant and comfortable for late night touring. On our Thanksgiving 2015 trip, the only time we had low crowds was at the evening EMHs. Even the morning hours were crowded. In the last two hours at MK, we got on so many rides. The only thing that still had a crazy wait was SDMT, but everything else was short waits or walk-on.

We hop at least a few days each trip. We almost always hop on our AK day(s), and then we will hop to EP for dinner and MK for late EMH. I always book my FPs at my first park, so that I don't worry about what time I have to get to the second one. We will do evening ADRs, and then we just have to be to the second park by 6:00 or so. I've tried booking FPs at the second park, but it was just too stressful watching the time.

I don't see the issue with your hopping plans at all, out of our 9 park day visits, we hop about 7 of those. The only one that I may caution a bit is the two hops on your first full day, I don't think that is necessary given how many other days you have.

As far as FP+ goes, I usually get mine for my first park of the day and then book additional at the kiosk for my 2nd park of the day. I also make sure that I hit each park at least once as the first park of the day to ensure I have a guarantee of at least one set of FP in each location. For example, my upcoming trip I have 9 park days and each park I have 2 days with FP+ pre-booked plus a 3rd day for MK. To me that takes away the stress of missing out on anything that I really want with a fastpass.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I feel better now with all of these tips. I was able to change my flight on arrival day so it now arrives at 10:45 a.m., giving me a lot more time the first day. I'm also going to try to plan for one park per day as best as I can then decide if/when I want to hope when we are there. I am also going to try and go to AK & Epcot early in the trip so I can then go back if I really like them; I can see that I am maybe short changing AK.

Man, am I going to miss my paper fast passes! The planning here seems kinda over the top :crazy2:

I hope you write a trip report. I'd be interested on reading about how you feel about the different parks after you visit them.
I will definitely do this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter