Please fix splash mountain

OK , so another frozen Mountain ride, would fit in perfect right?.................................NOT!!!

Seriously, If this were to happen, ( And I'm sure it's not going to change ) I think the EARTH may start rotating around the moon in a counter clockwise fashon and therefore throwing everything way out of whack.... As you can see it's a terrible shot at humor, but This ride truly is the epitome of what Disney is In my eyes. Up until a few years ago, I had NO idea that this was a movie, nor did I care....I just Knew when I rode this ride, it gives you that unbelievable Disney feel. And if it's not the longest ride, ( it's one of them ) which helps too. Making some rides into movies, is ok, but not for everything. Not to change the subject, but the jury will be out with the whole Maelstrom thing/ frozen....Don't get me wrong Frozen was awesome , but time will tell...Walt wanted certain rides for HIS personal reasons.... Let's just stop messing with GREATNESS PEOPLE.... That is all.:surfweb:

Hahaha. I was saying that both splash mountain and roger rabbit rides are based on movies that most kids have never seen. Well, kids cannot see the splash mountain based movie, song of the south, since it is considered racist and will not ever be shown again. I am not sure why you would continue to base a ride on movie that is offensive. And I do not visit MK as much as some of you, but I have never been able to complete the ride without the ride stopping. Maybe I have bad luck.
If you Google it you can find it online and watch it. My kids have been wanting to see it bc of the ride and we watched online and talked about why people view it as racist.

Hahaha. I was saying that both splash mountain and roger rabbit rides are based on movies that most kids have never seen. Well, kids cannot see the splash mountain based movie, song of the south, since it is considered racist and will not ever be shown again. I am not sure why you would continue to base a ride on movie that is offensive. And I do not visit MK as much as some of you, but I have never been able to complete the ride without the ride stopping. Maybe I have bad luck.
The portion of the movie that is depicted in the ride, is not the part that the PCDL (Political Correct Disease Laden) folks have determined to be racist. I'm not even going to argue the authenticity of that stand, however, the story line of Br'er Rabbit and the crew is a cute story that fits in with the drop into the patch below. Roger Rabbit is a caricature of ignorance and obnoxiousness, which, btw, hardly any young child has seen either. I have seen Song of the South, but not until after I rode and loved Splash Mountain. The story line stands on it's own even without the movie association. Even if I had never seen the movie, I would still love the ride.

As a side note... I have never ridden the ride when it did stop until we got to unload. One's experience is not necessarily the norm.

The only thing I think they should do to Splash is make the audio more audible. Even though I know the songs, it's hard for me to understand the words to most of them, or to hear what the animatronics are saying most of the time. I can never understand the buzzards at the end.

I have a better idea, persuade Disney to remaster and release SONG OF THE SOUTH under their Disney Treasures banner. I understand it portrays sensitive racial themes and isn't deemed P.C, but it is a movie that represents the era in which it was made. Preface the movie with an introduction explaining the history of the film and the time in which it was made. It will probably never win a new generation of young fans but at least it will give Splash mountain some modern context and it will preserve an important part of Disney's history that has been swept under the rug for far too long.

at the same time , whilst the characters maybe unfamiliar to many, the ride story is still entertaining and easy to follow

Just because some people can either a) watch the movie, teach their kids about how/why it is culturally insensitive or b) have watched it in the past and don't find it offensive and think that it can be re-released (with some sort of disclaimer), it does not mean that Disney should risk the potential PR disaster that any sort of re-release of this movie could cause. That would just be short-sighted of them and way too risky. Personally, I have never seen the movie and, despite my hope that people could make the distinction between the racially-insensitive premise and the socially-acceptable practices at the time of its original release, I would venture to guess that the vast majority of the people in today's society will not. You cannot presume that a significant proportion of our current society will NOT be offended. So no point in taking that chance.

However, I would love to see a re-imagined spinoff story that includes the characters that bring the characters and song to today's generation.

My husband would TOTALLY go on this ride! JoshuaShaw - you crack me up.

Just because a ride stops while you are on it doesn't mean that it broke down or had a mechanical issue. Sometimes they need to stop a ride so someone with a disability can get on or someone who is slower that the average person can get seated. If this happens in the loading area it will stop all the ride vehicles on the ride. Now mechanical breakdowns do occur but most are for other reasons.

**Oops should have read the entire thread first. I see what I said has already been mentioned. Sorry guys.

JoshuaShaw - you crack me up.
tumblr_m6q8mwL1MV1rzyfizo1_500.gif

However, I would love to see a re-imagined spinoff story that includes the characters that bring the characters and song to today's generation.

This seems like it could be a really interesting idea. Hmmm...

There's absolutely nothing about Splash Mountain that's racist. People objected to the stereotyping of the lead actors who played in the movie Song of the South. There's nothing raciest about the story-line of the move. As was said before, I think there would be a riot down Main Street, if the attraction was re-themed. There are timeless stories and timeless music and Slash Mountain has both. I believe OP is just stirring the pot.

My kids love Splash Mountain and I know people will be disappointed if it was closed, but it it needs to be rethemed and refurbished. My son jokes at what point will the ride stop working. Last year, we had to be carried off the ride. Luckily, this year, we only got stuck for brief period of time. I am not sure what the problem is, but Disney should fix it. And while they are at it, they should retheme it to a show/movie that they can watch or they should put out a newer version. Similar to who Framed Roger Rabbit, which kids have no clue what that is about (at least you can rent that movie).

I totally disagree! I have never seen Song of the South, and I love Splash Mountain! The ride tells the story so well that you don't need to have seen the movie. Now rehabbing it to prevent frequent ride breakdowns might be a good idea. (I don't know if it breaks down that often; just basing that comment off your post.)

love splash mountain, plus every time almost i get the chance to inform someone about song of the south and the storyline that goes with the ride, I've never had an issue with splash mountain

and sorry but just because you feel a rides theme is outdated doesn't justice a refurb. if Disney tried to keep everything always new for guests it could never keep up so they update and keep safety specs to date, but keep the iconic stuff because every day hundreds of first timers enter the gate and everything is fresh an new to them.

not a fan of people always wanting disney to change and get rid of the classics for the newer stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter