Please explain the appeal of Space Mountain

The appeal for me is that it's fairly smooth and there are no loops. I love roller coasters but my back can't take them anymore...but I can do Space Mountain.

I cannot do the Matterhorn, though; too jerky. That bums me out mightily, too...luckily last time we went it was the last right of the day for us, so the resulting back pain didn't hinder us too much.

first time back to disneyland in 10 years and I loved it!! My GF were laughing so hard at the jerking around etc.. really like the theme and lights at the start that remind you of the wonderful world of disney.

I love Space Mountain! I was 18 the first time I tried it. My poor Dad spent many family vacations riding it alone while my Mom, my sister and I waited for him!

It took me a while to warm up to SM. I went once on my solo trip, remembering how "thrilling" it was on my trip when I was a teenager. I hated it, and said, "Never again." But, as these things go, my 8yo DD begged me to go with her, and so I joined her on our next trip. And DH wanted to ride it every day... So, I eventually learned the track and was able to anticipate things a little better. If you let your eyes adjust to the lights, you can see where the lighting is, and you can see where things are, at least a little.

If you're willing, I found that I enjoyed Space Mountain much more after visiting the Piranha Pool at Trader Sam's...

I went to DL one time almost 30 years ago so maybe Space Mountain is better now, but all I remember is riding around in complete darkness. Yeah, it's fast but there's nothing to see, can't anticipate dips or turns because you can't see them. It's just screaming and being jerked around in total darkness. I just don't get the appeal but it sure seems to be a favorite of a lot of people.

SM was closed at DL from 2003-2005 and they made numerous changes. Before 2003 SM was an OK ride. I always thought it should be darker.

After 2005 the ride was hugely improved. They added music, they made it darker, added a cool launch sequence and a cool ending. They also added in more efficient loading mechanism for handicapped riders. So the capacity was increased.

The appeal is cool music written by the same composer who did The Incredibles music, and a better theme of making you feel like you are flying through outer space. It is supposed to be dark. It is part of the theme.

:wizard:

I'm with you, OP, I don't care for it myself. My kids don't enjoy it as much as screamin'. I really just sit on the ride and hope for it to be over soon, but I am prone to extreme nausea, and the not being able to see is tricky.

It's the only ride that makes me feel nauseous.

My brother and I rode it at around noon and were both nauseous the ENTIRE rest of the day! No exaggeration! All I did the entire ride was pray that I would not throw up during the ride and have it get all over the other passengers. :scared1: I was praying I would at least make it to the end before puking.

I did. But NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER again will I ride Space Mountain!!! I do not think I would make it to the end next time.

I rode it a long time ago (about 20 yrs ago) and found it very rough and jerky. I hear that it is better now, so i am thinking of maybe trying it next time, but i am not sure my kids ( pre-teens ) will enjoy it, or find it too jerky. so we may just skip it.

I find it so interesting that some people LOVE it and other just HATE it. Two ends of the spectrum.

i am curious. do most pre-teens (10 - 12) enjoy the ride? or not?

My kids loooove it! 8 and 10 the first time, 10 and 12 the second time. One of our all time favourites.

I rode it for the first time last month and LOVED it. Its not complete darkness. You have all the stars. I like not being able to see which way its going to go. Its more entertaining when the turn is unexpected. I like the surprise of going this way, now that way.

My kids and I love the ride. I get pretty sick riding it but I manage to do it at least once per trip(more for my son that myself). If I did not get sick I would ride it several times per trip as I love the whole space theme, dark ride and music.
For many years when I thought of Disneyland I thought of SM.

My wife on the other hand hates it. Rode it once and got off sweating like she had been walking on the sun and sooooo clamy. Took her the rest of the day to get over the sickness.

Overall it's a great ride and great experience.

I'm with you, OP, I don't care for it myself. My kids don't enjoy it as much as screamin'. I really just sit on the ride and hope for it to be over soon, but I am prone to extreme nausea, and the not being able to see is tricky.

Before I say what I have to say about CA Screamin, I will say I like it too.

However...

California Screamin is a very poor rollercoaster for a Disney park. Disney parks are about themed rides. Rides that tell a story. Like the "wildest ride in the wilderness!". The Space Mtn theme is awesome. For those prone to motion sickness that is another thing. But as far as themed rides it is superb.

What is the theme of CA Screamin? There is none. At least not very much of one. Screamin is a "boardwalk rollercoaster". It happens to be located in the poorest themed area of DLR - Paradise Pier. Disney has done a lot over the last 6 years to shore up PP, but it was a poor choice for a theme. Walt Disney hated carnival type parks and built DL as counter-statement to that.

Anyways, the story on Screamin is virtually non-existent and that is why it is the poorest Disney coaster. It would better fit at a Six Flags park. Give me Rockin' Rollercoaster any day. That ride has a super theme! They should have built RNR over CS at DCA.

The only time we don't like SM is during the Halloween time when they add all the screaming and special effects!

Before I say what I have to say about CA Screamin, I will say I like it too.

However...

California Screamin is a very poor rollercoaster for a Disney park. Disney parks are about themed rides. Rides that tell a story. Like the "wildest ride in the wilderness!". The Space Mtn theme is awesome. For those prone to motion sickness that is another thing. But as far as themed rides it is superb.

What is the theme of CA Screamin? There is none. At least not very much of one. Screamin is a "boardwalk rollercoaster". It happens to be located in the poorest themed area of DLR - Paradise Pier. Disney has done a lot over the last 6 years to shore up PP, but it was a poor choice for a theme. Walt Disney hated carnival type parks and built DL as counter-statement to that.

Anyways, the story on Screamin is virtually non-existent and that is why it is the poorest Disney coaster. It would better fit at a Six Flags park. Give me Rockin' Rollercoaster any day. That ride has a super theme! They should have built RNR over CS at DCA.

YES!!! :cheer2: Love that ride & wish it was here too!!! :yay:

I went to DL one time almost 30 years ago so maybe Space Mountain is better now, but all I remember is riding around in complete darkness. Yeah, it's fast but there's nothing to see, can't anticipate dips or turns because you can't see them. It's just screaming and being jerked around in total darkness. I just don't get the appeal but it sure seems to be a favorite of a lot of people.

Not possible to explain IMO, just preference. I love DL's Space Mountain dearly and consider it the best theme park ride I've ever ridden in my 43 years on this planet. I travel across the country to ride the main dish of this one ride. Everything else at DLR for me is, essentially, parsley.

My partner has no idea why. Space Mountain bores him at DL, and bores him and pains him at MK. Like you, he gets no thrill from not being able to see the track. He just wonders what the point us. I've long since given up trying to explain it to him. I think we're all just hard-wired differently.

All the turns go to the right expect for the one at the end. It pretty much does the same thing over and over.

No it doesn't, really. It's 4 lefts and 13 rights during the course of the ride, or 5 lefts and 16 rights if you count from load to unload.

Specifically (from load to unload): LOAD; right; LIFT HILL 1; right; HYPERSPACE TUNNEL; right; LIFT HILL 2; left; LIFT HILL 3; COURSE BEGINS, left; left; right; right; left; right; right; right; right; right; BUNNY HOP; right; DROP; right; right; right; right; right; left; BRAKE RUN; right; UNLOAD.

You can see the part of the course people often take as repetitive--it's the two sets of five rights that sandwich the bunny hop and drop elements. But the lift hill section and the first third of the course are actually more varied than people realize.

Sometimes people claim that MK's version is more varied, but just like at DL, after the first third of the main course, the rest of the course is repetitive turns on either side of a large drop. The only difference is that after the big (final) drop at MK, you start making repetitive turns in the other direction. But it's equally predictable. (Or maybe more so since the track has less poetry to it in Orlando.)

It's fun? :)

I think the appeal of SM is about the same as everything at DLR- it's fun. Some things might not appeal to certain people for certain reasons, but overall, it's just meant to be enjoyable.

I don't get! I wanted to love it last month when my girls finally agreed to ride it. I have a fear of flying and I guess because of the darkness and the space theme, it was too much like flying. I did not expect to be terrified but I was! When I got off I expected everyone to agree with me but my entire family loved it! Now that I know what to expect I am going to ride again and hopefully I'll get it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter