Please drug your kids before we leave for Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing necessarily will happen, but some kids, like my DD, feel pressure/pain on descension before landing. She has often been brought to tears by the pain. We've found that for her a nasal spray like Nasonex works better than Benadryl, given 15 - 20 minutes before landing.

:sunny:

Im going to definetly make a trip report . I was going to start a PTR today but I leave late tommorow night so it's too late LOL But as soon as I get back Im going to make a trip report with lots of pics. I admit though lately ppl on the dis have been very nasty towards me so it kinda makes me not even want to bother with it ....Ill see how I feel when I get back. Im relaxing right now. I just got off the phone with my mom and brother. They didnt say anything to make me stark raving mad . They just commented on how they were excited for the trip and are packing. FINALLY :) Im hoping things can go smoothly afterall. If not well I have a mouth on me and im not afraid to use it . Im ready to relax have fun and smell the roses. I want my kids to run wild and be free and happy on this trip. They deal with so much already with thier autism and i just want this trip to be perfect for them :cloud9: Thank you for your sincere well wishes .

I'm sure everyone on the plane and at WDW will thank you. :rolleyes1

I want to strangle my mother :mad: She is just so negetive ,it drives me nuts!!
We leave for our flight at 3:00 am .Im putting the kids to bed ultra early because they will be awake the entire night and day . I know my kids they are not nappers and have endless bounds of energy.

My mom called me today and I said "Im so excited for the trip we leave tommorow all of this planning and finally it's here" She said "Well I dunno...your kids are too much. We might get kicked off the plane and than what will you do? " I said "I went to the 99 cent store and bought them toys and snacks to entertain them on the way there" She than says" That's so stupid . Why cant your kids just sit down like everybody else . I never heard of anyone buying toys and snacks for thier kids for a 2 hour plane ride. You know what you should do . You should give them some benadryl . It'll knock them right out" :scared1:

What 2&5 y/o CAN sit still on a plane especially when they are going to Disney! I can barely sit still myself:rotfl: I am so sorry you had to have such a lousy start to your vaca:sad2:
Good for you telling her off I hope you are having a great time now:goodvibes

I always buy snacks and bring games for my little one on the plane Hopefully your mom had a chance to look around the plane and see all the other excited kids!:confused3

Why would you want to give them benadryl!!??:scared1: Drug them on purpose?! isnt that dangerous????? I totally cant blame you for flipping on her.

I hope you have a great trip:goodvibes Hopefully your mom has her own room :scared: So you can have space with the kids:grouphug:
You sound like a great mom, who deserves to have a great vacation.

I understand what you are feeling, having a degree in psych it drives me nuts when people make less of disorders and act like it is just an excuse rather than an actual problem. Anyway, good luck I hope everything goes well remember you are there to have fun, if she is driving you nuts walk away, don't get yourself upset. I think the drugging thing may be a generational thing though, I have had several people make that suggestion to me for plane rides when my children were really young 1 or 2yr. They suggested anything from benadryl to tylenol to a little bit of alcohol. To me that is just crazy. We do what you said, bring books, travel type games with stickers or magnets, we bought my 5 year old (then 3 1/2 or 4) a leapster 2 for his birthday specifically to bring on the plane a few months later. So he usually brings that, and various other little games and definitely snacks. I think that you are pretty much in the norm on this one :)
Forget the stupid comments, walk away and keep your distance as much as you can (that's what I do about my mil--she is full of gems like that and worse)
Have a great trip

OP~I feel your pain.

My oldest DD has always been a special needs kid, she also was not one to sit still. My other three are not special needs, but they are a typical exuberant cut of kid.

2 things I want to mention to you:
1) My Mom is also difficult to get along with. Love her, but, she can be insulting or alienating, just like your Mom sounds. The Benedryl comment was a lil rough maybe, but truly, it is a viable option. We used Benedryl sometimes for our DD on sundays, so she could get through church/CCD. I would definately hit up the dollar store, and get kids toys and snacks for the ride.
2) We had one single seat in a van that holds 8 available, and I know my Mom was hinting about occupying that seat to FL. I told my Mom we could definately accommodate her at the house we rented, if she wants to get a plane ticket and stay for 1/2 a week. I would never want to spend my entire vacation with my Mother. Have a great trip, give a little (cuz you're going to have too, even though you probably feel like you should be getting more courtesy b/c you are bringing her on your trip!) and next time....DON'T DO IT!

Supposedly the OP's mother owned two cats that she "adores" but she had to take them to stay with a druggie relative while she has no home. This relative apparently tortures them in various ways and the Mom doesn't seem to care. Several people have been trying to convince the OP to call animal control or the SPCA or anyone.

:scared1::scared: Oh God! that is horrible!!! I have a friend who works for the SPCA (he is the one who is sent to pick the animals up) Somebody should def call the SPCA!!!!

I wonder if it's worth it to go with family. Seems like yours is really mean. Between your brother teasing you about your weight and your mother saying stupid things, it seems like a toxic situation. Should your kids be witness to their mother being treated like this?

I know it's a problem. My family is undoubtedly toxic. Im sorta used to it though:confused3 I dont like it and I can control it sometimes but for the most part they are who they are and they dont change. The only thing I can do is limit me and my kiddos time with them and we dont see them that often to begin with. I'm just trying to look on the positive side of things now:wizard:

I'm sure everyone on the plane and at WDW will thank you. :rolleyes1

Again exactly what I was thinking....I can't stand sitting by children who's parents allow them to "run wild" on the plane. Sorry, I am sure you find your children simply precious, but when children become loud or obnoxious i.e kicking the back of the seats...the rest of the plane does not them so charming. :rolleyes:

OP~I feel your pain.

My oldest DD has always been a special needs kid, she also was not one to sit still. My other three are not special needs, but they are a typical exuberant cut of kid.

2 things I want to mention to you:
1) My Mom is also difficult to get along with. Love her, but, she can be insulting or alienating, just like your Mom sounds. The Benedryl comment was a lil rough maybe, but truly, it is a viable option. We used Benedryl sometimes for our DD on sundays, so she could get through church/CCD. I would definately hit up the dollar store, and get kids toys and snacks for the ride.
2) We had one single seat in a van that holds 8 available, and I know my Mom was hinting about occupying that seat to FL. I told my Mom we could definately accommodate her at the house we rented, if she wants to get a plane ticket and stay for 1/2 a week. I would never want to spend my entire vacation with my Mother. Have a great trip, give a little (cuz you're going to have too, even though you probably feel like you should be getting more courtesy b/c you are bringing her on your trip!) and next time....DON'T DO IT!

Believe me I wont. This trip was just supposed to be me and my kiddos however I had to look at it this way...We are an odd number and for most attractions we wont get to sit together. I would'nt have been able to ride ANY thrill rides because my youngest is too small . Also being that it's my first time ( i went once when i was smaller but it doesnt count imo) It would make sense to bring along my mom who will help watch the kids and do the child swap with me. ALSO it was my mom who mentioned WDW in the first place , than I came to the dis became hooked and started planning :yay: . Me and my mom had a big falling out and I cut her off . It was supposed to be permanent but I caved eventually and added her on to my ressie....My brother whined and I added him on eventually as well. That is why they are invited on this trip.

In the future I will do one of two things. I have two options . Go to WDW as soon as possible and dont ride any thrill rides or any ride that ds doesnt reach the height requirement ...or after this trip can all of the WDW trips until ds is tall enough to ride most of the rides with a height requirement so I wont have to bring my mom to do the child swap.

Right now Im looking at this trip as my last trip for quite a few years but never say never because who knows I may change my mind once I get down there and book the bounceback.

Many Docs will tell you to give the Benedryl but try it ahead of time. It may relax the kiddos but more importantly it will help with ear pain by decreasing inflamation in the ear canals.

Though the way your mom delivered the advice is inappropriate but ,it could make the flight easier and less painful for your children. Which should be your focus.

Yes, my point was that if she has a definitive answer one way or another from a pediatrician, she will have the advice from a professional, not just some very judgemental people here or her mother's advice. Maybe the Dr. will say try it, maybe he/she will say no way. I'm just warning for some kids Benedryl can make them act extra-hyper and edgy, not drowsy and calm. No one wants that on a plane.
All I know is my Dr. just gave me the go-ahead to take 2mg Xanax before I board the plane. I know how it affects me and even at 2mg, it may not be enough to cut through my fear.

Again exactly what I was thinking....I can't stand sitting by children who's parents allow them to "run wild" on the plane. Sorry, I am sure you find your children simply precious, but when children become loud or obnoxious i.e kicking the back of the seats...the rest of the plane does not them so charming. :rolleyes:

You can shove your rolled eyes :mad: Where did i state I was going to let my kids run wild on the airplane? I said I'm going to let my kids run wild at WDW like all kids do at a place built for children . If you dont like it TOO BAD. If my kids get loud on the place or make a scene TOO BAD . My kids have a disability and if it inconveniences someone for 2 hours TOO BAD . I do the best I can with them to keep them entertained but NO I cannot make any promises to anyone that my kids will be perfect angels . When you have a child with autism matter fact two children with autism than you can come back and open your mouth about my parenting until than SHUT IT because you have no idea how hard it is to manage children that have the kind of needs my kids have .

Hold up what will happen to my kiddos ears?! I never flew before so I have no idea ....

The pressure changes in the cabin can cause your ears to "pop"...usually not a problem though it can be a little painful if you have a cold or something. The best thing is to give the little ones something to suck on during take-off and landing...a lollipop, or something to drink, as swallowing can often release the pressure. My DD has never had a problem with her ears, except for one flight we took when she was sick.

You can shove your rolled eyes :mad: Where did i state I was going to let my kids run wild on the airplane? I said I'm going to let my kids run wild at WDW like all kids do at a place built for children . If you dont like it TOO BAD. If my kids get loud on the place or make a scene TOO BAD . My kids have a disability and if it inconveniences someone for 2 hours TOO BAD . I do the best I can with them to keep them entertained but NO I cannot make any promises to anyone that my kids will be perfect angels . When you have a child with autism matter fact two children with autism than you can come back and open your mouth about my parenting until than SHUT IT because you have no idea how hard it is to manage children that have the kind of needs my kids have .

Um...you can't just let them run wild in Disney, either. It's a very crowded place, and you certainly don't want to lose them, or have them get hurt. And I see you never flown before-flight attendants take unruly children very seriously-no matter their age or circumstances. I've been on a plane before with a 2 year old ( not mine ) and argumentative Mom who almost got booted. Ya might want to go into it a tad less defensive. I'm just sayin'.

The OP's children are, like my own DD, on the autism spectrum. These kids have sensory issues; my daughter actually feels pain from sounds that you or I mihgt not even think twice about. Riding on an airplane invloves sitting still in one spot (hard for kids on the spectrum), in a confined space (hard for anyone, much less kids on the spectrum), with strange noises & sensations. These children have every right to fly to WDW or anywhere else, and us parents do our very best to manage the situation for our kids as well as the other passengers. By no means should we be pressured to give them medicine just to make it "easier" for others.

Try to be a little more tolerant and have some patience...walk a mile in our shoes and you'd might gladly sit on a plane with us for 2 hours, thanking your lucky stars that your kids are neurotypical.

WOW - are you always this confrontational?

First of all most children DO NOT RUN WILD AT DISNEY!!!

You do need to have some consideration for other people.

My oldest ds has Asperger's so I have spent my life thinking ahead of how to handle difficult situations.

If your children are especially hyper maybe you should ask the pediatrician about benadryl just for the flight. My dd has to take benadryl all the time for allergies and it just seems to make her a little sleepy and quiet. If they advise that benadryl would be a good idea just try it ahead of time because I do have one who has the opposite reaction to benadryl and I wouldn't wish that on ANYONE in a plane.

IMHO OP you need to get rid of the "attitude". Yes, it is your vacation. It is also a vacation for all the other people on the plane and at Disney. Just your statement that you'll let them run wild at Disney like all the other kids worries me that you think Disney is a free for all for kids.

I have a child with Asperger's, high functioning on the spectrum. I know exactly how hard it is on an everyday basis. BUT, we never treat her as if she has a disability. She is expected to behave in public, just as her siblings are. She doesn't get a pass just because of her diagnosis. Some things are much harder for her than her siblings, but we can't relent on teaching her how to control herself and be responsible. Even though she will always be somewhat "different" from what our society deems "normal." She still must learn to be a responsible adult. Kids on the spectrum need MORE loving structure and disipline than other kids. Letting them run wild and free through public places, even Disney World, can be very over stimulating and detrimental for your entire family vacation.

No ones kids are perfect, and most people do not expect perfection, but most people do expect other parents to control their children and not let them "run wild," special needs or not.

Hold up what will happen to my kiddos ears?! I never flew before so I have no idea ....

The cabin on the airplane is pressurized "for your comfort" while flying (to help balance the pressure from the atmosphere to what's inside the plane).

Sometimes it can bother people's ears (mine plug up for a day or two after each flight). Some folks will give their kids benedryl to help keep their ears dried out to the pressure doesn't bother them as much. I do plan to give my kids some benedryl before our flight. If they happen to sleep for a bit afterward (which has happend before) then fine. The more energy they'll have stocked up later. If not, oh well.

I would practice teaching them to "pop" their ears to clear them out so they know what happens on the plane.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy your flight! Did you pack any portable devices (mp3 player, CD player, DVD player, laptop)?? You can't have those out and running for the 1st 10 and last 10 minutes of your flight.

I have a child with Asperger's, high functioning on the spectrum. I know exactly how hard it is on an everyday basis. BUT, we never treat her as if she has a disability. She is expected to behave in public, just as her siblings are. She doesn't get a pass just because of her diagnosis. Some things are much harder for her than her siblings, but we can't relent on teaching her how to control herself and be responsible. Even though she will always be somewhat "different" from what our society deems "normal." She still must learn to be a responsible adult. Kids on the spectrum need MORE loving structure and disipline than other kids. Letting them run wild and free through public places, even Disney World, can be very over stimulating and detrimental for your entire family vacation.

No ones kids are perfect, and most people do not expect perfection, but most people do expect other parents to control their children and not let them "run wild," special needs or not.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Sorry OP...if you sit back and let your kids run wild while doing nothing, either on the plane or at WDW, you won't get any sympathy, patience or tolerance from other people.

People can tell when the parents are trying to keep their kids under control, and typically cut them some slack. People won't cut you any slack if you're letting your kids run wild and doing nothing.

Special needs or not, you and your children need to be respectful of other people around you and realize they are trying to enjoy their vacations, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter