Please don't think I'm a jerk but...

grimley1968 said:
Isn't this a bit harsh? The OP asked a valid question, I think. Maybe it could have been phrased more concisely, but I think that has been addressed already. It may be a hot button issue, but a person's not a jerk merely for bringing it up.

No, it isnt harsh. The OPS should be thanking her lucky stars she isn't in a wheelchair. Who cares what resort people in wheelchairs stay in? I am just thrilled they get to go. It has nothing to do with money, or class,etc.
I have been going to WDW for almost 30 years now. My mother, who is now deceased had to use mostly the ECV's sue to being really sick with diabetes. Her last trip to WDW, she had just gotten out of the hospital and shouldn't have been travelling. But she told her doctors that she was going to see Mickey and that was that! And God bless her, she did! She was so ill. My last picture of us was her, me, my father and my best friend all in matching WDW t-shirts, with her in her wheelchair, and as sick as she was, she had a smile, you couldnt imagine. She knew in her heart it was her last trip there, but she was going to enjoy it for all she could and she did. And I miss her every day. So all of you that have nothing better to do than wonder about what people in wheelchairs do at WDW, should just be greatful you aren't in one and live life to the fullest!

Karalynn said:
WHY??? Sorry, but WHY??? :rotfl: I would agree that there is probably more accessable rooms at these resorts, and also the ONLY way to get to a park is by bus. (no monorail, boat etc.)

So.... to answer one of your burning questions, we are going in January and my dd who is 5 and in a wheelchair, will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge(deluxe resort). Yes, she will be 'one of those people' waiting to get loaded on the bus.
Please don't think I'm being a jerk, I'm just having a little fun! Sometime, I'm touchy about my dd's abilities, but for the most part, questions are really great! Education is knowledge right?

we are leaving for WL in 2 weeks and my 5 yr old son will also be one of those people waiting for the bus ramp in his handicapped stroller. WE honestly chose WL b/c of the bunk beds now i hear that dont accomidate standard rooms with bunkbeds. We stayed at POP last year and loved it. Value/delux choice has nothing to do with my sons handicap, if anything i would choose a monerail resort fot that reason but i like WL better than Contemp.

AngieInOH said:
No comment about the validity of this question.

I will however report on an experience I had today. I work with a lady who is handicapped. She can walk and gets around OK but because of her disability she has to use a handicapped shower. I asked her today what hotel they stayed at when they went to Disney in 2003 (not because of her disability, but because I'm trying to figure out which resort to stay at). She went with DH and her two kids and they stayed at All Stars Music. Here's the KICKER...... she said when they arrived the CM told her she had two adjoining rooms. It turns out the only Handicapped room they had available was a room w/ a king bed, which wouldn't accomodate all 4 of them so they got two rooms at no additional cost. She said she was very impressed with the way Disney took care of them.

This is also true at the WL. All the handicapped rooms are king so if you need the roll in shower and have more than 2 in your party they have to give you the other room at no cost. I read this somewhere on a thread. Disney will not tell you this when you call though. We are staying at the WL in 2 weeks with my 2 boys and my 5 yr old son is handicapped and i specifically asked for a handicapped room so we could have more room for him to manuever around and they specifically asked if we would need to roll him into the shower. i knew what they were getting at so i told them no because he takes a shower with my husband and i didnt want to lie and take advantage of the situation.

Anyways that could be another reason why handicapped people in wheel chairs may stay at values b/c they have rooms with 2 dble beds.

It is all subjective to interpretation.

The OP can ask a question that some see as being a jerk and insensitive. Others can read the same question and see someone that has some what of a curious nature but not really trying to be offensive. Maybe the question could have been worded better but the OP has already stated that and apologized.

Then some see others responding to the OP and being a jerk with thier replies.

So I am not sure any need to be throwing stones. The OP stated she was sorry she worded her question the way she did and if you find the asking of it insensitive, ignore it and move on.

Being overly sensitive and critical can sometimes be as disturbing as being rude.

Jamie77 said:
Thank you. And by the way, I'm not a guy. When I wrote this question, I didn't really know how to ask it and like I said I'm a people watcher so I kinda wanted to get people's opinion (particularly those who use wheelchairs) to answer the question. Sorry if I didn't phrase it well, and I didn't expect people to think that I was only asking those who go to WDW with disabled persons.

But for starters, you were asking only people who travel with disabled persons, not the disabled persons themselves. And frankly, once again, asking questions about anybody's finances/financial situation is intrusive and not the business of anyone on a message board.

I was extremely tired when I posted last night and I apologize for coming across like a ***ch. Bu t like Kaytieeldr pointed out above, "you were asking only people who travel with disabled persons, not the disabled persons themselves." That what I had the biggest beef with.

A non-flaming post....Honestly, I believe a disabled person would choose a value resort for the same reasons anyone else would (particular themeing, don't plan to spend much time in room, budget concious, etc.).

(Not directed at OP...but in general on bus loading issue) As for waiting longer at the stops for wheel-chairs and extra-assistance guests to load....choose the higher path of patience. If we lose 15 extra minutes of our vacation day so a disabled guest can have access, we gain as a civilized society that values all of its citizens. Someone who lets a minor thing like that irritate them is destroying their own magic. Make an effort to have a sincere smile for everyone. Be kind, patient, and considerate. Try it. You will have the best vacation ever....I promise.

disneyobessed said:
we are leaving for WL in 2 weeks and my 5 yr old son will also be one of those people waiting for the bus ramp in his handicapped stroller. WE honestly chose WL b/c of the bunk beds now i hear that dont accomidate standard rooms with bunkbeds. We stayed at POP last year and loved it. Value/delux choice has nothing to do with my sons handicap, if anything i would choose a monerail resort fot that reason but i like WL better than Contemp.

OT.... I saw your post re: the bunkbed on the resorts board and noticed we do seem to have a bit in common!! We are in western Mass. I wanted to know if I could pm you re: ds stroller. I posted a few months ago weather to do wheelchair or special needs stroller and got a few flames. I was a bit upset since this was actually my first post ever!! Now that I've been here a bit, I'm a little more 'used' to it. I didn't know what to reply!!! I had a simple question and there are some very passionate people here! Let me know about the pm. Thanks!!!!

"Please don't think I'm a jerk but...
Just wondering why you would be staying in a value resort , instead of a deluxe resort..."

Must have taken you a whole thirty seconds to come up with that one. I bet you even crossed your arms and stuck out your tongue. Talk about the kettle calling the pot black. I realize that you live under the misguided impression that your opinion is law and that anyone who differs from you needs to be banished to the "bad poster box" but you really need to lighten up and get over it. The OP apologized that her thread was worded in such a way that some people misinterpreted what she was saying/asking. If you are unable to accept that I suggest you seek assistance since, despite your perfection, others are prone to the occasional error and it takes a big person to accept that and carry on.

You know, I have read so many threads where adults are worried about children posting on these boards but I have to say that I am really concerned about some of the so called adults.

kaytieeldr said:
And frankly, once again, asking questions about anybody's finances/financial situation is intrusive and not the business of anyone on a message board.
Then you better head over to the budget board and tell everybody they're being intrusive... :rotfl:

Karalynn said:
OT.... I saw your post re: the bunkbed on the resorts board and noticed we do seem to have a bit in common!! We are in western Mass. I wanted to know if I could pm you re: ds stroller. I posted a few months ago weather to do wheelchair or special needs stroller and got a few flames. I was a bit upset since this was actually my first post ever!! Now that I've been here a bit, I'm a little more 'used' to it. I didn't know what to reply!!! I had a simple question and there are some very passionate people here! Let me know about the pm. Thanks!!!!

No problem at all! i just pm'ed you! .

Well this family with a wheelchair-bound 7 y/o boy in it ride deluxe buses all the time, along with the boats and monorails. We have yet to stay in a Value, but might at some point, maybe on the weekend before a DVC stay. I think the reason you see wheelchairs more often in the Value resort bus lines is that those lines tend to be longer anyway, and thus slowed more by the wheelchair loading process. But we have had plenty of other folks in wheelchairs and ECVs on the buses to Deluxe resorts. Of course the buses only have room for two, so the others may need to wait for another bus to arrive making the line of ECVs longer.

The original post could have been better phrased and more sensitive, but is a valid observation nonetheless. I expect that we see more disabled folks at Disney than in other parts of oiur lives because Disney actually accommodates those of us with disabilities a whole lot better than the rest of the World. For us, Disney is the only Vacation that isn't a hassle. And we reward Disney with a large chunk of our vacation dollar. Good for disabled folks, good for Disney, good for America, good business all around.

TiggerCat said:
"Please don't think I'm a jerk but...
Just wondering why you would be staying in a value resort , instead of a deluxe resort..."

Must have taken you a whole thirty seconds to come up with that one. I bet you even crossed your arms and stuck out your tongue. Talk about the kettle calling the pot black. I realize that you live under the misguided impression that your opinion is law and that anyone who differs from you needs to be banished to the "bad poster box" but you really need to lighten up and get over it. The OP apologized that her thread was worded in such a way that some people misinterpreted what she was saying/asking. If you are unable to accept that I suggest you seek assistance since, despite your perfection, others are prone to the occasional error and it takes a big person to accept that and carry on.

You know, I have read so many threads where adults are worried about children posting on these boards but I have to say that I am really concerned about some of the so called adults.

My point exactly, those giving the OP a hard time, after many attempts to apolgize, are just as insensitive as the OP was accussed of. Some just never see themeselves as doing the very thing they are upset with others over.

Talking Hands said:
It is a room and unless there is a special occasion or something special offered by the deluxe resort why pay the extra dollars for something I will only sleep in.

This is EXACTLY my mentality as well.

I mean, I *could* stay at a Deluxe, or even a Mod (which I don't find much different than the values)...but I can stay longer and do more staying at a value.

To me, it's all about the parks - I go to the room to sleep and take a shower.

With the lights out, I swear I can't tell the difference. ;)

N.E.D.

I don't think that you were being rude. You asked a honest question and see what you get??? Maybe you could have phrased it differently, but you didn't. You have apologised several times, but to some it doesn't seem to matter. Many times there have been questions that I would like to ask, but I'm not sure how to phrase them without upsetting anyone. So I just don't ask them. I understand what your question was, but I could see how somebody sensitive to this topic may take it differently.

Here's a :grouphug: for you. Hope you have a great day!! :sunny:

Jamie77 said:
Thank you, thank you! I spent a lot of time writing and rewriting because I didn't want to offend anyone but I guess I managed to do just that. I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

I think there was nothing wrong with your questions. It was one of curiosity. Funny how the people who are outraged and called you jerk and rude don't seem to be disabled. Funny how only their opinion matters. It's PC'ers that have no soul.

NewEnglandDisney said:
This is EXACTLY my mentality as well.

I mean, I *could* stay at a Deluxe, or even a Mod (which I don't find much different than the values)...but I can stay longer and do more staying at a value.

To me, it's all about the parks - I go to the room to sleep and take a shower.

With the lights out, I swear I can't tell the difference. ;)

N.E.D.
The beauty of this board is that posters of all different income levels can post on them, but it's also why feelings always get so bent out of shape then discussing values v. deluxes.
Some values people feel that deluxe people are "wasting their money at deluxes for a place where they just sleep", but the truth of the matter is, some deluxe guests can stay as long as they like and don't have to worry about breaking a budget, or staying a shorter time. Maybe they make more money, maybe they inherited more money, maybe they hit the lotto, who knows. When ever this board, or any board, get talking about cash or income, it always gets hot, because people feel the need to defend there opinions/lifestyle. I really don't think it will ever change.

disneyobessed said:
This is also true at the WL. All the handicapped rooms are king so if you need the roll in shower and have more than 2 in your party they have to give you the other room at no cost. I read this somewhere on a thread. Disney will not tell you this when you call though. We are staying at the WL in 2 weeks with my 2 boys and my 5 yr old son is handicapped and i specifically asked for a handicapped room so we could have more room for him to manuever around and they specifically asked if we would need to roll him into the shower. i knew what they were getting at so i told them no because he takes a shower with my husband and i didnt want to lie and take advantage of the situation.

Anyways that could be another reason why handicapped people in wheel chairs may stay at values b/c they have rooms with 2 dble beds.
There are different "levels" of handicapped rooms at all the resorts and not all handicapped accesssible rooms have a king bed.
Some are handicapped accessible, but not totally wheelchair accessible. Those might have raised seat toilets, a regular bathtub/shower combination with grab bars and 2 queen or double beds (depending on the resort). The size of the room and the set up is the same as a non-handicapped room and most people who get these rooms don't even realize they have a handicapped room. We have stayed in this type of handicapped room or a regular room in the Moderates when DD was little (and her wheelchair was littler too). Because of the small size of her wheelchair, she could get around the room fairly well. This type of room might be most appropriate for someone who uses a wheelchair or scooter for distance, but will be walking around their room (ie, short distances). A raised seat toilet and grab bars in the tub would be helpful for someone who is unsteady or needs extra support getting up and down.

The other type of handicapped rooms are the fully wheelchair accessible rooms. These are the ones with king beds and roll in showers. The assumption is that if someone needs a roll in shower, they are probably going to be using their wheelchair to get around the room. They have a King size bed because that gives more free floor space. The total floor space of the rooms in general are not any bigger, but they are arranged differently (to make space for the roll in shower and a roll under sink). The room space is arranged to make the bathroom area bigger, which makes the bedroom part smaller. The King rooms are often connected to another room because the king bed sleeps only 2 people.

The ADA (American with Disabilities Act) has a formula for determining how many rooms in each category (plus rooms that are equiped with special equipment for people with hearing disabilities there are). The number works out to roughly 4% of the rooms being handicapped accessible. So, the people who said you see more people with disabilities at the values because the number of rooms is larger are probably correct. (4% of 1900 rooms is a much bigger number than 4% of 200 rooms).
As others posted, at the values, everyone has to take buses (or cars) to get to any of the parks. All of the deluxe resorts have at least one park you can get to without taking a bus.

We have been on vacation in other places and found that the room we were assured was handicapped accessible had 2 steps to get in or there wer no curb cuts form the parking lot at all, or the accessible bathroom had grab bars and a raised seat toilet, but the door was too narrow for a wheelchair to go thru. You don't find things like that, for the most part at WDW.
As pumpkinboy noted, WDW is one of the more accessible places to visit and people with disabilities tend to come back because it is accessible. (We are members of DVC at OKW for that reason).

kandeebunny said:
You probably saw more because the resort is MUCH larger and unlike a lot of the mods at POP there is only one bus stop. We used to stay at CBR with my ECV and you wouldn't notice it as much as each "island" had their own bus stop. You don't see it as much at the other resorts either because there are alternate modes of transportation.
I honestly prefer a value or deluxe because of the one bus stop. At the moderates if you are not close to the first bus stop you very often have to wait for several cycles to be able to load onto a bus especially at busiest times in the morning. I have had to wait as many as 5 cycles before I could get on a bus at moderates but never that long at a deluxe or value resort.

turbo594 said:
Funny how the people who are outraged and called you jerk and rude don't seem to be disabled.

I called her rude and a jerk and I AM disabled. Funny huh?? :maleficen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter