• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please dont label me crazy but...

These are a great couple of points. For the OP, especially the second point! Odds are going in December you will have a coat on. No way to really see all those cute outfits anyway. And I can't imagine making a child take their coat off to see pics.

Plus, at least in Dec 2010 it was so cold that I had layers of clothing on underneath my coat. It may be too cold for cute outfits, unless they are made of fleece! Jeans and sweatshirts may be what is needed.

I was thinking of our Dec 2010 trip. where all our pictures are of us bundled up in winter coats, gloves and hats...we now look back and laugh.

But OP have you considered, Dec weather, it may not be cooperative with all those cute outfits.

My vacation is a photo shoot.

Wow, I LOVE LOVE LOVE taking pictures of my family on vacation, and everywhere else for that matter:), but I would never want my time with my family to be considered a photo shoot:confused3

I am usually a live and let live type person but this changing multiple times a day seems like way over the top. I think it is cute to have the princess outfits, maybe something cute for MVMCP. I even have put my boys in shirts that "matched" what character meal we had for the day. Like Mickey shirts for Chef Mickey meal, or Tigger for Crystal Palace but other than that...I would not want to change them that much.

Now my daughter has 2 a day and we may bring a costume in the stroller for a photo op. Or she may start her day in a princess dress and switch into something more comfy after breakfast.

We have done that. A princess dress for a princess meal, and then a comfy park outfit However there is no way I could get the family to stop what they are doing so we could have a change in costume, er clothing.:p

Who the heck wants to haul all that stuff around? Or who wants to have to hike way back to the lockers for a clothing change?

Character meals mostly plus Christmas outfits for MVMCP and so on. It takes 5 minutes tops to change my child. She is very cooperative. I don't take offense to anyone being negative. I like clothes and I love to see my daughter all dressed up. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. I was just wondering if there was any other mommas out there that has done the same in Disney.

If you don't mind, and your daughter is good about it, and if you have the space in luggage and stroller, then go for it! Your at Disney world!! It's ok... I found I got very caught up in the magic of Disney! I think little girls are so adorable in Disney outfits! Heck, my girls aren't little, and I had custom t shirts for them, for each park. We all ( including my hubby) had matching custom, personalized t shirts for magic kingdom.
So, I totally get where your coming from. I'd keep them in stroller if you can. It will be a pain to go back and forth to your locker.
Try rolling the outfits... Space friendly, and won't wrinkle as much either.
And, just gotta say, about any negative comments you got, ignore them! And c'mon, give this mom a break! She's excited -- and why shouldn't she be? She's going to Disney world for Pete's sake:)

Pictures of my children with us is important to me. If something happens to me tomorrow I know each child has individual pictures with their parents and grandparents.
Sue me if I make sure my kids look nice and they don't have boogers on their face.

Pictures of my children with us is important to me. If something happens to me tomorrow I know each child has individual pictures with their parents and grandparents.
Sue me if I make sure my kids look nice and they don't have boogers on their face.
Not sure what boogers have to do with this? :confused3 Are you just looking to pick a fight? :rotfl2:

Some of my favorite pictures of the children are the one where they were covered with flour when we were baking cookies together, or covered in dye from Easter eggs, sand from the beach or fingerpaint from making a card for Daddy. Those perfectly-posed photos don't mean nearly as much as those candid snapshots because there's no story behind them.

It is important to most of us...and as someone who has lost a parent I treasure the few pictures I do have with my dad, so I make sure we get the pictures too. I also am able to accomplish that without boogers on their face either, and my boys are 15 and 9! But the trip is not focused around the pictures, like I said I LOVE taking pictures, but it is not the sole focus of the trips we have taken, Disney or elsewhere, it is the memories we have formed!

I mentioned above taking a trip when there were record lows in FL, having the "perfect" outifts would have been futile. But we still took the pictures and now we laugh and others laugh too, when they see us bundled up like it is winter in PA, then a trip to FL. That is the memory!!!! Not looking picture perfect.

I will take both the picture perfect shots of us looking nice and posed, and the silly shot of us after getting off BTMR, looking wind blown and crazy.

I dont need fancy clothes or even the cleanest clothes to capture our families memories and make things special. Our memories are not always perfect why should the pictures be!

JMHO of course!

I agree! I would rather have photos of us messy but having a good time then photos of us looking perfect but miserable. That's why I'm glad we had the Photopass on our last trip. We aren't very photogenic but having family pictures of us in front of the castle or in front of Spaceship Earth is wonderful.

I haven't read all of the posts, so shoot me if this sounds the same, and of course this is just my opinion...

I hate shopping :scared1:too so that may play a part in my feelings on this, but it just seems that all this changing clothes or costumes just for the simple fact of changing (for vanity's sake) seems to be teaching a child to place WAY too much emphasis on clothes, material belongings and looks. Not to mention, I can't imagine, in these economic times, spending money on clothing that the child may (if they are anything like my kids) out grow before they get to wear them again. (meaning summer clothes bought for FL in Dec may be too small come next summer).

That being said, to each his own. I do travel with an extra outfit for accidents,spills, wet rides etc. and even a shirt for myself so I don't have big blobs of jelly in every picture, right on the b**b (as has happened to me before):rotfl:

OP not crazy! I buy t shirts sometimes 2 sizes larger if they are on sale and not in DD current size, to save for future vacations.

A lot of what she wore on this past vacation I bought for her when she was only 8-12months.

I woudn't pack that many outfits but 2 a day is typical for December.

Not trying to start a fight just think it's crazy that somehow I'm less of a parent because I let my kids dress up and get their picture taken when we are at Disney. And FWIW we actually have a great time :-)

Not trying to start a fight just think it's crazy that somehow I'm less of a parent because I let my kids dress up and get their picture taken when we are at Disney. And FWIW we actually have a great time :-)
I'm sure that you have your own version of fun. And that doesn't make you less of a parent. Allowing your kids to dress up is fun. Forcing them to dress up would be an entirely different story.

Well, my vacation is just that, a vacation. Great pictures come without being planned, orchestrated and styled.

:thumbsup2 I just don't get the "manufactured perfect vacation" thing. My personal opinion of that kind of stuff is that people don't do this because they want their kids to have these mementos, I think its more about projecting a perfect image to anyone who happens to see the photos here and now. I'd rather spend my vacation enjoying it with my kids and taking pictures instead of turning it into a photo shoot so everyone can see them and think how perfect it was :rolleyes1

I'm not sure what the purpose of this post is? To tell people to not call you crazy when you know you're doing something that other people would think is crazy? Because that alone is kind of crazy.

DD used to wear a different princess dress in the park every day. Other parents on here have have made comments that letting your kid wear the dress all day is crazy talk as they'll be hot or it'll be itchy, etc. DD never had a problem with that as we went in the winter and she wore biker shorts under them. She loved it. But on the flip side I've seen kids wearing lanyards around their neck all day long and at that age my DD would have hated that. And some parents/kids love BBB and that isn't mine or DD's cup of T. To each their own.

But where are going to keep all these clothes? If you leave them in a stroller there's the possibility that they'll get stolen?

I dont think you are less of a parent, but when you are missing the focus of the vacation by trying to have that "perfect" shot or making your vacation a photo shoot, I think you might want to rethink things just a little.

It is one thing to change bc they are messy or sweaty, but to change constantly like the OP wants to do seems over the top.

Cute shirts, matchy outfits, special costumes are fun, but if you take it to the extreme and miss what the whole vacation is about...which is to have fun, than that is unfortunate.

Take the pictures, have the balance btw poses and candids and I think you will appreciate those pictures so much more when your kids get older.

:thumbsup2 I just don't get the "manufactured perfect vacation" thing. My personal opinion of that kind of stuff is that people don't do this because they want their kids to have these mementos, I think its more about projecting a perfect image to anyone who happens to see the photos here and now. I'd rather spend my vacation enjoying it with my kids and taking pictures instead of turning it into a photo shoot so everyone can see them and think how perfect it was :rolleyes1

Ok, c'mon.... Seriously. Some people are getting way to worked up about this. Changing clothes numerous times while at Disney isn't going to psychologically damage her daughter.
I don't think she's trying to portray her vacation as perfect either.
We just got back from Disney. I took about 1000 pictures. Some were great, some perfect, and some were good but the kids ( and me too) were not looking as great as we " normally" do, or could have in some of them. It was warm, we go on most rides, so we look sweaty, look warm, and our hair is well, flat due to humidity or the wild rides.
I honestly did make a few quick trips to the bathroom with my girls so we could
" freshen" up just a bit before a few pictures that I had planned on taking, and were important to me. I didn't want us to look like we just walked off a airplane runway, which is how we felt from to time. And, I don't think that makes us vain. I also don't think by doing so, I was trying to come off as though everything about our vacation was perfect either.
Just because some people pay extra attention to detail, and put a little extra effort in how we look, doesn't make us bad parents, I think quite the opposite in fact.
So, I question some of the negative comments and threads made by certain people. I have to wonder why this bothers some of you so much? Possibly inner insecurities? I don't know why else you would be so rude to this mommy. Aren't there much bigger, worse things to Bash parents about than this? I think so any way.
Seriously.....

Lol, why do I get the feeling that these are the kind of people who take 20 poses with the characters rather than being considerate of the other park patrons, or would be the ones complaining if the wardrobe was stolen from the double stroller they take to carry the crap? Otoh at least they aren't crowding the rude lines!

Era: why does it bother me? Because I think that kids deserve to have fun and bit just be a function if their parent's ego.

Seriously, who cares? If both mom and daughter are into it and I can't see how it's going to bother anyone, why not? Let's save the rage for the growing # of fat people on scooters...

Ok, c'mon.... Seriously. Some people are getting way to worked up about this. Changing clothes numerous times while at Disney isn't going to psychologically damage her daughter.
I don't think she's trying to portray her vacation as perfect either.
We just got back from Disney. I took about 1000 pictures. Some were great, some perfect, and some were good but the kids ( and me too) were not looking as great as we " normally" do, or could have in some of them. It was warm, we go on most rides, so we look sweaty, look warm, and our hair is well, flat due to humidity or the wild rides.
I honestly did make a few quick trips to the bathroom with my girls so we could
" freshen" up just a bit before a few pictures that I had planned on taking, and were important to me. I didn't want us to look like we just walked off a airplane runway, which is how we felt from to time. And, I don't think that makes us vain. I also don't think by doing so, I was trying to come off as though everything about our vacation was perfect either.
Just because some people pay extra attention to detail, and put a little extra effort in how we look, doesn't make us bad parents, I think quite the opposite in fact.
So, I question some of the negative comments and threads made by certain people. I have to wonder why this bothers some of you so much? Possibly inner insecurities? I don't know why else you would be so rude to this mommy. Aren't there much bigger, worse things to Bash parents about than this? I think so any way.
Seriously.....

First of all I never said that the pp was going to psychologically damage her dd, so the only ones I see getting worked up are the ones implying that.
Second, I don't care what anyone does on their vacation, it doesn't effect my life one bit. However, if I see some woman carrying around an entire wardrobe to change their child into for to get the perfect shot at every moment I'm going to think certain things about that person. Those things I mentioned here, on a discussion board since that is the point of a discussion board ;)
And speaking of discussion boards, some of you need realize that you are going to see negative comments and comments from people on message boards that you don't agree with. That doesn't equate to "bashing". If you think anyone not agreeing with you, and having a negative feeling about what you decide to post, is, you really should steer clear of the internet. Stick to your friends who will tell you what you want to hear. There is a whole big world out there filled with people who aren't going to pat you on the back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter