• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please do not post copy cat VMK sites - First post Updated 5/1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll offer a quick note. I could pick each of the "fears" above piece by piece, but I simply don't have the time.

I've talked with the developers personally now. Is it a scam? Absolutely not. The fears you are experiencing are from the fact that these people have had just a few short days to turn their business model around 180 degrees. They literally just threw up an initial quick web page to allow us to sign up.

You can trust me on this one VMK community. If this were a scam site, they wouldn't shut down the registration form now would they? Heck no, they would be mining our email addresses 24 hours a day..

I'll offer a quick note. I could pick each of the "fears" above piece by piece, but I simply don't have the time.

I've talked with the developers personally now. Is it a scam? Absolutely not. The fears you are experiencing are from the fact that these people have had just a few short days to turn their business model around 180 degrees. They literally just threw up an initial quick web page to allow us to sign up.

You can trust me on this one VMK community. If this were a scam site, they wouldn't shut down the registration form now would they? Heck no, they would be mining our email addresses 24 hours a day..

I for one could not agree more. And although I registered many many days ago, I can still log onto VMK and I have NO spam in my email.

its not the point really. we were still exploited as a community. They used us to fill their registration. They made us think the game looked like vmk, we all signed up, then they switched to what their game really was.

It was a greedy action to gain membership by exploiting people who are hurt their favorite game is going away.

its not the point really. we were still exploited as a community. They used us to fill their registration. They made us think the game looked like vmk, we all signed up, then they switched to what their game really was.

It was a greedy action to gain membership by exploiting people who are hurt their favorite game is going away.
I so agree with aengus, that is one of the reasons why I refused to register and why I report people talking about that site in VMK :upsidedow

Dis was not the only forum visited by the programers of this site.
Honestly I think their intentions were well meant....They and their kids play VMK...honestly if I had the resources to make a game like this and heard VMK was going down I would probably have done the same thing.

With VMK closing, people are looking for something to grasp on to to keep in touch with friends in the game, that seems to be the biggest issue I have seen. With the limited chat and threat of being banned for the final weeks of VMK people wont give out their personal information like messanger names and Email addresses which it a GOOD thing..So here we have some ppl that are offering a service to help with that when Disney let so many down.
The way they went about it was probably not the best but..I really do think that it is going to be a legitimate place to go and meet up with our old friends.
I too signed up and have had no computer issues, noting missing from my VMK account and no more span than usual.
I don't think people in the game should be reported for mentioning the site, we can talk about meeting in toon and pirates but not another game?
Just because it is not owned by Disney?
I think the we should let people think for themselves.
We have all provided enough information in this thread and the other one to let people come to their OWN educated decisions.

Dis was not the only forum visited by the programers of this site.
Honestly I think their intentions were well meant....They and their kids play VMK...honestly if I had the resources to make a game like this and heard VMK was going down I would probably have done the same thing.

With VMK closing, people are looking for something to grasp on to to keep in touch with friends in the game, that seems to be the biggest issue I have seen. With the limited chat and threat of being banned for the final weeks of VMK people wont give out their personal information like messanger names and Email addresses which it a GOOD thing..So here we have some ppl that are offering a service to help with that when Disney let so many down.
The way they went about it was probably not the best but..I really do think that it is going to be a legitimate place to go and meet up with our old friends.
I too signed up and have had no computer issues, noting missing from my VMK account and no more span than usual.
I don't think people in the game should be reported for mentioning the site, we can talk about meeting in toon and pirates but not another game?
I think the we should let people think for themselves.
We have all provided enough information in this thread and the other one to let people come to their OWN educated decisions.

It would have been easier to not think the mighty dollar wasn't really their goal if they didnt disguise their website and game in the beginning to look like vmk. They exploited the community I didnt mean this website in particular. How many registrations do you think they would have received if they hadnt posted on ever vmk website. I just see it as exploitation.

People are welcome to think for themselves. Anyone who wants to find this game easily can. The mods just don't want the site promoted here, and I completely understand their decision. Whatever the developer's intentions, the sudden appearance of the site just hours after the announcement, the blatant copyright infringement of the tea party room, and that redirect url - VMKtwopointoh or whatever the heck it was - all look very opportunistic and exploitative. Maybe they were just being overenthusiastic, but the waryness is completely understandable.

If I dont feel safe when people are talking about that in VMK (that is not the case, I just dont like how the site was promoted) or if that is bothering me to hear people talking about it, I think it is in my right to report that players are talking about it in VMK even more knowing that it is giving a way to reach the player talking about the site outside of VMK (so breaking rules).

It would have been easier to not think the mighty dollar wasn't really their goal if they didnt disguise their website and game in the beginning to look like vmk. They exploited the community I didnt mean this website in particular. How many registrations do you think they would have received if they hadnt posted on ever vmk website. I just see it as exploitation.

I DO agree with you that there were better less "Sneaky" ways to go about the promotion.
They probably should have contacted the moderators of the boards and explained who thery were and what they were dong, going through the proper channels to do things makes people a little more trusting of a new company so I can really see your point here.

I believe they chnaged their homepage because they were copntacted by Disney with a cease and desist letter. I even told my wife that those images wouldnt fly.

Tea party room was within copyright limits, but the castle logo was not.

as far as for reporting people.... do you really think anyone, including the hosts, really care about bannings any longer? Reporting people for talking about others sites at this point in time just smacks of a little self-importance to me.

aengus,

think about that for a moment.

VMK did the exact same thing here on Dis.

VMK was announced here on the Dis board by a Disney Cast Member. I know, thats how I found VMK. Are we not glad that the same exploitation reactionism did not apply then?

Also, a question: Why is it that Dis has a VMK forum, but not a toontown or PotC forum? Will disn be rolling out a Cars or Fairies forum as well?

I thought this was just a forum warning and not a discussion. :confused: Since we are continuing a discussion...

Did this group advertise this new community on any other message boards? Like, for history buffs? I'm not doubting that there may be an actual game in the works. It's just weird that this came at a time when everyone was extremely upset and looking for answers. They took advantage of VMK fans, and I'm sure a lot of people are going to be hurt when the game isn't as amazing as VMK.

The artwork was stolen from various places- even if that wasn't a copyright violation, isn't it a little odd? You'd think if they were 6 weeks away from public beta that they would have some of their own art to show. Everyone has to start somewhere, but I'm skeptical. I wish everyone well in finding a new game if Disney doesn't provide one, and I hope this game's developers realize that there are enormous expectations for them already, and many people will be angry if they can't live up to the hype they've created.

aengus,

think about that for a moment.

VMK did the exact same thing here on Dis.

VMK was announced here on the Dis board by a Disney Cast Member. I know, thats how I found VMK. Are we not glad that the same exploitation reactionism did not apply then?

Also, a question: Why is it that Dis has a VMK forum, but not a toontown or PotC forum? Will disn be rolling out a Cars or Fairies forum as well?

Actually, I heard about VMK from the Vacation Club Board. People had stated that heard about it in the park and such. I see no problem with advertising a Disney Website on a Disney Board and they did as such.

In regards to the VMK Forum vs. other iterations of Disney Online gaming forums, WebmasterKelsie asked for suggestions. Maybe possibly we could have just a Disney Online Gaming forum, but we will work with the Webmasters to see what would work and continue to solicit from our community.

Sorry Aengus, I'm going to have to disagree with you here :dance3: (yeah yeah, what's new...) :rolleyes1

I don't see what they did as an exploitation at all. I see it as offering hope to us when we were hurting the most.

I would have done the same thing had I the same resources and abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter