Please describe the Sun Wheel for me.

I am not afraid of heights, but do have issues with motion sickness although I can ride everything else!! My limit is 2 times in a row on Screamin'. My family and I rode the swinging ones and got off after one revolution. I was so green..not scared at all, just so nuseated that I had my head between my knees. My DH wasn't quite as bad, but feeling under the weather as well. My DD6 was PRAYING!!!! We staggered to benches and just sat. No more rides for the day...could actually think about eating after several hours and a relaxing airconditioned Aladdin show!!!

I bet it would be a HOOT if I wasn't so VOMITOUS!!! :scared1: :sick:

Sure....

:eek:
:scared:
3.gif

4.gif

5.gif

6.gif

7.gif

8.gif

Well, you've seen the pics right? It's really high up there and I am terrified of heights too.

I have been on the swinging gondolas 3 times though, each time with my eyes closed, screaming, and yelling for no one to move or touch me. :rotfl2:

It is scary, but it's something I think everyone should try once. It's hard to describe. Just give it a try so you can say you did it. :thumbsup2

That pretty much sums it up. Couldn't have said it better myself! :rotfl2:

There is a reason this is the only ride at DLR that provides barf bags inside the ride. ;)

The swinging gondolas are too terrifying to me. They swing as the ferris wheel moves and you have nothing to hold on to, you just are flying in mid air - hard to explain, but once was more than enough for me.:scared1:

But the stationary ones (red) are one of my favorites. You get to view the entire park (and more) at a slow pace and from very high up. It is very beautiful and peaceful. I enjoy it a lot. It is quiet except for the screams from the swinging gondolas above and below you.:sad2: Check it out and decide for yourself. Have a great trip.

We've been on this ride a few times, and it's great if you want to get a bird's eye view of the surrounding area & a view of Disneyland.

The swinging gondolas don't bother my kids or me, but I can understand why people would get scared. They swing on rails, and there are no seatbelts to hold you down.

Other than that, we think it's pretty tame. :)

Other posters have written thier thoughts, but I'll keep it short and simple:

Death.

That's pretty much it.

Death.

That's pretty much it.

LMAO!!! :lmao:

that is exactly how i felt on TOT in Florida - my life flashed before me!

I think that i will just do the stationary part of the ride.

I get motion sickness so maybe i will skip the swinging gondolas±! :rotfl2:

I am laughing because out of all these post, 20 something, only 3 of us liked it. I really didn't think it was bad at all, and really a bit tame like someone else said. But I don't get sick on anything and don't understand it. I thought it was great fun. I remember taking my daughter on it from about 6 months on. She would clap and laugh. When she was about 1 1/2 she would start screaming MORE MORE MORE when it would stop swinging. princess:

Death.

That's pretty much it.

Short, sweet & to the point! :rotfl2:

It's exactly what I feel about Expedition Everest! But then we got stuck on the outside part for 15 minutes, and with the way I hate heights, I felt like death by the time I got off the ride. :faint:

I must admit that I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts about this ride. You've made me laugh and have also made me decide to never, ever go on the swinging gondolas!

My hubby HATES heights, but as funny as this sounds, he likes the swinging gondolas better than the stationary ones. He says the swinging gondolas gives him something else to think about other than how high he is.....they bring an element of distraction and fun (and a little bit of a thrill), if that makes any sense to anyone.:goodvibes

So we always ride the swinging gondolas now, and my entire family thinks they're fun. Usually we only ride once per trip though because the Sun Wheel takes forever to load/ride/unload, so it can be a long wait in line for just a ferris wheel.:rolleyes:

I hate heights but I've done the Sun Wheel twice. Ok, so I don't hate heights, I hate the part where I might fall. LOL That's what I hate. Anyway, I do the stationary cars, I won't do the moving ones, they scare me. There is a separate entrace for the stationary cars, you actually walk down the exit to board those. Our trip in Dec. my oldest DD and her BF went with us so they took the little girls with them on the moving car, OMG!!! The little girls were screaming their heads off! LOL They said "MOM, we are going to HIT you!" LOL It was pretty funny.....but not funny enough for me to do them. lol Seriously, the stationary cars are neat, you get an amazing view and it feels very safe...of course I do sit there with my fingers threaded through the mesh and I move verrrrrry sloooooowwwwwly..........LOL And I am really glad when it's time to get off. LOL

Doesn't scare me, doesn't make me sick; but I swear the loading/unloading gets me CRAZY!

If I could get on and ride the thing then get off when I'm done I'd be good.

Being trapped and moving a 1/4 inch at a time while waiting for everyone else to get on and off is not my idea of a good time.

Hey, I sound just like my teenage DD :rotfl2:
(you know, that whole "the world revolves around me" attitude)

It's nothing short of all things unholy and corrupt in this world.

I paint a picture of a gigantic wheel lit up like the fires of hell. The unknowing masses line up for what appears to them to be a good time. They are soon locked in a cage and torn from the warm embrace of the Earth towards a violent, swinging, nightmare (should they choose this fate) where your only comfort from the screams of terror is a rewarding view of the park. As you're slowly lifted towards Heaven, your cage proceeds to slide towards the fiery depths of Hades, stopping at the last minute to swing you back and forth like a treat for a hungry monster. Should you choose an outside cell your fate comes in the form of being suspended at the highest point of the ride while a handicapped person or sceaming children are loaded or unloaded from their car 5,000 feet below. Yes. 5,000 feet. The ride operator proceeds to play with your hope by methodically lowering you to the ground level and laughing the whole time.

Beelzebub really outdid himself with this one.

absolutely fantastic totally fantastic.

regular ferris wheels scare the heck out of me but this was awesome.

Do the swinging ones, and hold on for dear life.

Truly with the cage all around you it is very good, cold in the wind way up high though.

To get it to spin more, put all the weight on one side, and the lighter kids on the other.

It truly should have seat belts though, our little guy had a hard time holding on.

I've only been on them once, and unfortunately, I chose the moving gondolas. I'm a big roller coaster fan and have done all kinds of crazy 'dare devil' stuff, but this scared me more than anything!! The side I chose in the cage made it worse because when the cage really started rocking, the angle was just right so that it looked like I was about to be dumped into the water below. I was with my mom at the time (who was completely panicking) and told her not to look down when we got to the other side. When we went around once, we asked to be let off early. I'll never go on the moving cars again!!! Next week, I plan to try the stationary side because I think the view will be pretty, especially at night.

ah..the swinging buckets of death...............I felt so bad that I made my little guy indure that torture. And to top it off the drunk guys on the swinging gondola gane us quite the puke show off the side and barly missed us..............oh yeah if I were you I'd pass.:scared1: :sick:

Big ferris wheel. I didn't have any problem with the height aspect...my mistake was agreeing to go on the sliding gondolas, which slide and then swing back and forth after each slide. Definitely not for those who have issues with motion sickness. I would agree to go again, but would insist on the stationary gondolas. But, I really don't have height issues, especially when safely ensconced in a enclosed space.

I have heard horror stories about the random spinning/sliding seats. My friend who wil ride any kind of awful rollercoaster on earth was basically cowered and crying and sick by the time that thing stopped.
It looks VERY high. I pass.

Oh dear. Thanks a lot, OP.. The Tag Fairy decided now of all times to show up! I got tagged the comment about death! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

There is a reason this is the only ride at DLR that provides barf bags inside the ride. ;)

Yep...that was my first clue I might have made a judgment error in agreeing to take my younger son on the sliding gondola. I was watching the CM re-stock the barf bags, but didn't realize at first what they were. When I did realize, it was too late, we were already boarding.

I truly wasn't afraid of the ride; I just didn't like the swinging aspect. No other rides at DLR make me queasy, but the Sun Wheel did. I can imagine that the view from the non-sliding gondolas would be great. (I was too busy trying to control the motion sickness by focusing on a fixed point that I didn't have time to really enjoy the view.)

I'd lose more than my lunch on that. :scared1:
That would be quite a waste of some good DL food.
Give me a flying dutchman cookie boat and nobody gets hurt!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter