Please convince me to use points for a Saturday night.

stlrod

DIS Veteran
Here's the scoop. I have a week at OKW through a Marriott trade from 5/28-6/4. We are heading back home on 6/6. So, I need to figure our what to do for those last two nights. My choices are: (1) use Priceline and with some level of confidence end up at Gaylord Palms; (2) stay free using Hyatt points in the concierge level at Grand Cypress; or (3) use points for a studio at SSR. If we stay offsite, we'll go to Seaworld on the 5th and if onsite, visit WDW parks that day. The problem is that I am a "value-oriented" frequent flyer/DVC point hog and have a difficult time parting with the additional points for SSR for a Saturday night. I've thought of several reasons to use the points, including the fact we are considering add-on. Help me justify the extra points.

If it were me, I'd stay off site and do Sea World and/or other "not Disney" attractions those last two nights.

Best wishes-

We've gone the route of finding a room elsewhere, but my husband settled it pretty fast for our trip in October. He simply said, "I don't want to move." So we're staying on points Saturday night.

But heck, if you can get two FREE concierge nights at the Grand Cypress, I'd say go for it! It's very nice. I don't think even my husband would pass that up. It's still close enough to do Disney stuff if you want to.

DisFlan

Have you thought of staying at one of the Universal Resorts for two nights? It is more $$ but you would get front of the line access for both parks and that is worth every penny, IMHO!

Granted we are new DVC members but we have always gone to US for at least 3 days per trip just for FOTL access. I think that would be a lot better even if it meant costing a little more money. To us it is definately worth the price. HTHs. :flower:

I always use weekend points at DVC, but I have to say I would have a hard time passing up "Free" anywhere! :)

We have too much crapola to move, but also live close enough that multiple trips down over the course of a year seems reasonable for us, so we are mostly Sun - Thurs night vacationers. If we could only go once a year, I would always stay for at least a week and not move.

(2) stay free using Hyatt points in the concierge level at Grand Cypress;

I would go with this one and save the DVC points for another trip and the cash for something else.

Pretend I'm your mother. I say, "don't do it!"

Now, you can be a contrary child (no matter how old you really are) and do the oppoisite!

Good luck....

dis-happy said:
Pretend I'm your mother. I say, "don't do it!"

Now, you can be a contrary child (no matter how old you really are) and do the oppoisite!

Good luck....
I think this one might be the best. We've stayed at Universal many times and even have APs. But on our last trip, Portofino was a huge disappointment. So, I think it's either going to be SSR (which may fit into our schedule better) or the Hyatt.

I agree with Sarhenty. We didn't like spending the extra points to stay Fri/Sat so we started staying on site at Universal for those nights. On site guests at Universal get unlimited "Fast Pass" at all attractions. Try mousesavers.com for the best deals on Universal hotels.

stlrod said:
I think this one might be the best. We've stayed at Universal many times and even have APs. But on our last trip, Portofino was a huge disappointment. So, I think it's either going to be SSR (which may fit into our schedule better) or the Hyatt.

Stay at the Hyatt. Enjoy the free nights. There are lots of possible SSR nights ahead of you.

stlrod said:
The problem is that I am a "value-oriented" frequent flyer/DVC point hog and have a difficult time parting with the additional points for SSR for a Saturday night.
IMO, there's your answer. If you do use the points at SSR, you'll be mentally grumbling about it, and who needs that on vacation? Be true to yourself, stay somewhere less costly, or free at the Hyatt.

BTW, we just stayed at Portifino for 2 days in Feb. - it was great. I wouldn't let one bad experience stop you from staying there again. You could also try Hard Rock Hotel (great, but more vibrant than Portofino) or Royal Pacific (haven't stayed there but have heard good things). With Universal AP, seems like your best choice, again, IMO. :)

We use points for Fri/Sat for studios only. It would be really hard to use the points on a 1 or 2 bedrooms for those nights.

It really depends on when we need a room and how many points we have left. I am using points for a Saturday night this year and will use points for for a Fri and Sat next year because that is when we need our rooms.

DJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter