• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please convince me that the Poly is worth the additional money

129hutch

Earning My Ears
Please help me decide!!!

Hubby and I are going to the World for 3 days in mid August for our 16th anniversary. This will be our first trip since being married without kids :cool1:

We already have a king room booked a CSR and while I know that CSR would be great- I have ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wanted to stay at the Poly.

Please convince me that the add'l $500-600 is worth it to switch and why. (Or if it's not- tell me that too.) It is in the budget, if we choose to do it, but I tend to be tight with money. On the other hand, I don't know if/when we will get the chance to go again without kids and the theming and convenience of the Poly are so enticing to me.

HELP! I need the "expert" advice of you Disers.
Thanks so much,
-Kim

Please help me decide!!!

Hubby and I are going to the World for 3 days in mid August for our 16th anniversary. This will be our first trip since being married without kids :cool1:

We already have a king room booked a CSR and while I know that CSR would be great- I have ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wanted to stay at the Poly.

Please convince me that the add'l $500-600 is worth it to switch and why. (Or if it's not- tell me that too.) It is in the budget, if we choose to do it, but I tend to be tight with money. On the other hand, I don't know if/when we will get the chance to go again without kids and the theming and convenience of the Poly are so enticing to me.

Thanks so much,
-Kim

I would say definitely go for the Polynesian! Of course, whether or not it is worth an additional $500-600 is totally subjective, but if it is in the budget and you have always wanted to stay there, then do it! (Especially since you are celebrating your anniversary and it is your first trip without kids in tow!) My husband and I just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the Yacht Club last week and had a wonderful time. We did some extra things on this trip to make it special that we wouldn't ordinarily spend the $$ on, like staying in a lagoon view instead of the usual garden view we typically book.

I have never stayed at CSR so I can't comment on that resort; however, I have stayed at the Polynesian several times and it is really beautiful. The grounds are particularly romantic at night with the torches lit and the view of the castle. In fact, on our recent trip, we ate at O'Hana one night and enjoyed a nice evening walk around the Polynesian while we were there.

Just my two cents! Wherever you end up staying, enjoy your time together!

I have ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wanted to stay at the Poly.

I say try the Poly -- mostly for the reason above. Also, the $500 isn't so bad if it's in the budget -- you get to stay where you really want to, get the great location, views, fireworks from the beach, dining, etc. It really is a lovely resort and when we stay there we feel like we are in the middle of all the Disney magic. :wizard:

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary. You are going to love being there for your anniversary. My DH and I went for our 20th and it was awesome. Really special.

When we went several years ago we decided to put our money into dining and renting a car. We actually stayed at Pop, but did the deluxe dining plan. Renting a car allowed us to visit several of the signature restaurants in the deluxe resorts. That's just how we chose to allocate our funds. We were there in off season, so the resort was not crowded.

That being said, I know what you mean about wanting to stay at a certain resort. I have always wanted to stay at the Poly, too. I think its a very romantic place and the rooms look gorgeous. I own DVC now, so I probably will never get there.

It is your anniversary and a childless trip so if you have the extra funds, I see nothing wrong with splurging. I'm sort of like you - I tend to be a bit thrifty and room price tags like that make me pause. That's why I bought DVC. But I digress.

I know I didn't help much, but good luck with your decision.

Since everyone's definition of "worth" is different, I can't convince you that it's worth it for YOU to spend the money, but I will say that we love everything about the Poly and think the extra money is worth every penny to us. The Poly is great in so many ways, IMO, and is an awesome resort for an anniversary trip as you can't beat having the beach for watching the fireworks (while relaxing in a hammock) and walking around at night under the lit tiki torches. If the extra cost is doable, I say give it a try.....I don't think you'll regret it. Good luck.

We just returned from our first stay there and loved it! I say go for it. It is beautiful and it would be romantic without kids! If only I could convince my husband to go to disney without kids!

Spoil yourselves, you won't regret it!

Here are some Poly pictures that I just posted in my current TR. I stayed at VWL, but with DVC pool hopping privileges decided to go swimming at the Poly. These may sway your decision

IMG_0782_zpsfa40b4ad.jpg

IMG_0784_zps05ac4b70.jpg

IMG_0785_zps54b5c592.jpg

This looks like a great place to chill and have a meal or a snack

IMG_0786_zps66fc9f9b.jpg

IMG_4330_zps863a584f.jpg

IMG_4334_zps0baada82.jpg

I also wondered over to the quiet pool

IMG_4335_zps8750d5b8.jpg

IMG_4336_zps49fdce4a.jpg

There is just something about the paths around the Poly that I absolutely love

IMG_4338_zps6a66bc6a.jpg

IMG_4341_zps98530473.jpg

IMG_4343_zpsad55ca94.jpg

If it's in the budget and you want to stay there, no need to talk anymore. Special trips like that are to do things you normally wouldn't do. So if you got the money, do it.

Go for it!!!!! :) If money is no object don't think twice. :) We took our first vacation without kids when we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary and we stayed at Pop. We had a great time but next year is our 30th and I want to stay at the Poly like you. Plan your trip at the Poly before you change your mind!!! ;)

We have stayed at both CSR and Poly - Trust me when I say - spend the extra and stay at the Poly. You will LOVE LOVE LOVE it - the theming is amazing - tropical, lush and relaxing. The food options are fantastic, the location cannot be beat - monorail to the MK and Epcot - and the Kona coffee may be worth the additonal expense alone! ;)
Romantic trip without the kiddos - treat yourselves! :goodvibes

The Poly is my absolute favorite resort. We've spent the last three Christmases as well as Spring Break there, and I'm actually second guessing our Yacht Club/Boardwalk trip this summer. I just can't imagine not spending at least a few nights with those views! You just can't beat the beautiful grounds! There's nothing quite like taking a quiet stroll around the tiki-torch-lit paths and ending up in a hammock on the beach. We've been known to spend days just lounging around by the pool and on the beach. The views are wonderful, especially if you're a fan of fireworks. Transportation is top-notch, too. We enjoy being a quick boat ride from the MK and a short stroll and monorail trip away from Epcot.

Polynesian is amazing, it screams all things Disney. Just in the perfect location with the monorail, great restaurants, private beach (great for fireworks), cool pool, just an overall amazing experience and environment. Grab a reservation at Ohana if you can, such good food family style!

Go to Poly! It has a special something that doesn't come through in the pictures. The location is amazing, the beach could be romantic without kids. You can hop on the monorail or the boat and be at the Magic Kingdom quickly. It is a short walk to the TTC where you can quickly be on a bus to most places or the monorail to Epcot. The rooms may not wow you, but the rest more than makes up for them (plus they are being renovated and maybe you could get into a renovated building). I think you should do it at least once and this trip sounds like a great time to do it.

Please help me decide!!!

Thanks so much,
-Kim
Wow! We're talking an extra $200/night!

I love the Poly, but like you I tend to be tight with my money. I'd be thinking a lot about how much time I'd be spending at my resort if I only had 3 days to enjoy Disney.

Will you be sleeping in and having coffee on the balcony? Walking the sandy beach at night during Wishes? Using the pool and hot tub during the day? Will you be spending a lot of time at the MK, so that having the monorail right there will be a big plus? If you're not going to take advantage of what the resort has to offer, I don't know if it's worth the extra money.

Personally, I would be looking for some kind of discount before I would book the Poly or any deluxe at the rack rate. I know myself well enough to know that I would spend the entire 3 days rethinking whether it was worth an extra $200 every night. And if it bothered me that much, it would take away from enjoying my trip.

That being said, if you're the type who can let it go easily once the decision is made, the I prefer the Poly over CSR. But CSR gets my vote for best moderate.

Marionnette said:

I love the Poly, but like you I tend to be tight with my money. I'd be thinking a lot about how much time I'd be spending at my resort if I only had 3 days to enjoy Disney.

Will you be sleeping in and having coffee on the balcony? Walking the sandy beach at night during Wishes? Using the pool and hot tub during the day? Will you be spending a lot of time at the MK, so that having the monorail right there will be a big plus? If you're not going to take advantage of what the resort has to offer, I don't know if it's worth the extra money.

Personally, I would be looking for some kind of discount before I would book the Poly or any deluxe at the rack rate. I know myself well enough to know that I would spend the entire 3 days rethinking whether it was worth an extra $200 every night. And if it bothered me that much, it would take away from enjoying my trip.

That being said, if you're the type who can let it go easily once the decision is made, the I prefer the Poly over CSR. But CSR gets my vote for best moderate.

The Poly doesn't have a hot tub, but you make a good point. :) How much time will someone spend at a resort on a three day stay? When just DH and I are at WDW, we find that we spend almost as much time in the parks as when we are with the big group. That's because we can get so much more done when there are just two of us then when we are maneuvering the group through the parks.

The Poly is an absolutely wonderful place for a romantic getaway. But if you aren't planning to spend a lot of time at the resort, then you may want to stick with your reservation at CSR.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Marionnette said:

I agree with this 100%. Thats $200/night we're talkin about. Not sure about you, but we're in the parks all day so we dont get to spend much time at the resort. CSR gets my vote.

Go to Poly! It has a special something that doesn't come through in the pictures. The location is amazing, the beach could be romantic without kids. You can hop on the monorail or the boat and be at the Magic Kingdom quickly. It is a short walk to the TTC where you can quickly be on a bus to most places or the monorail to Epcot. The rooms may not wow you, but the rest more than makes up for them (plus they are being renovated and maybe you could get into a renovated building). I think you should do it at least once and this trip sounds like a great time to do it.

I absolutely agree with this. We were there for the first time in January and I couldn't get over how the specialness of the Poly really didn't come across in photos. We loved it so much that we changed our plans for our December trip to stay at the Poly instead of CR or BLT. There really is a special relaxing quality that the Poly has that doesn't come through in photos.

I have to vote for CSR. I have seen the Poly and I wouldn't pay an additional $200 a night for it. If you got some great 35% off room rate maybe, but to pay $600 extra dollars for 3 nights is not worth it to me.

If it is within your budget and you really want to make this trip special you may want to consider doing the Platinum Package and have your anniversary dinner at V&As. Take a bunch of backstage tours (Dolphins in Depth, Seas Aqua, etc), Cirque de Soliel, Fireworks Cruise, Spa at the GF, parasailing, watercraft, you will find there are just not enough hours during the day, all TS meals, etc. And I can tell you from experience that the Poly is the ideal location to take advantage of all that is offered with the Platinum Plan. Use this as the time to do the things that Disney offers that you would not do with the kids.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/me...og/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2013Platinum.pdf

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter