Please advise on our plans

buggy2727

Mouseketeer
I would love some experienced input. DH and I have been to Disney before kids but that was about 5+ years ago so let me know what you think. We have DS (8), DD (6) and DD (4.5) - we are going May 2 to May 8th and staying at POR. We will land in Orlando at 1:10am on Friday. I haven't ironed out exactly what our plans will be once in the park since I'm still trying to figure out our "skeleton" plan if you will...

Arrival Day:
Get to hotel and either just relax around there or maybe take the boat the DTD for an easy dinner and maybe Lego land. This will depend on how the trip out is but we don't want to make it a late night because of the next day.

Saturday:
MK - I know that it's advised to stay away from MK on a Saturday but I want our first day to be here.
ADR for CRT at 8:05am to start the day
Spend the day at MK, more detailed plan to come but we'll want to do the Fantasy parade and probably a QS dinner. We won't stay for the electric parade or fireworks, mostly because I believe this will make it a crazy long first day.

Sunday:
HS - ADR for H&V breakfast at 8:30
Again specific plan TBD but we also have the Fantasmic! Dining Package at Mama Melrose at 4:30. We do plan to stay for Fantasmic! that night (9pm). I'm unsure if we'll take a break back at the hotel or just stay and relax at the park.

Monday:
Epcot - Won't rush to get there, will plan specifics later.
ADR at La Hacienda for dinner and then Illuminations.

Tuesday:
MK - 2nd day. I choose this day over Wednesday as there is no Light parade on Weds. I'm hoping for a BOG FP for lunch and then another QS for dinner. I would like to be there at rope drop for this day so here it may make sense to take a mid-day break at the hotel, maybe after lunch (I hate losing 3 hours though!). Stay through fireworks.

Wednesday (final day):
AK - I struggle with this day the most. I left AK until last as this is the lowest park on our list. I figured if we need to shift our plans (say a bad rainy day or melt downs, etc) we can always skip AK and re-do a park (or split the day). Anyway, AK has EMH this day. I know the touring sites say to skip parks with EMH unless you plan to be there early. I would love to say that we will be there for EMH however with this being day 6 and a late night at MK, the kids may be exhausted. I'd love to be there at rope drop, do the safari, wander around the park relaxed and then leave after the parade. We do have ADR's for Chef Mickey for dinner at 7:05pm so if we stay for the parade, it may be to tight to rest at the hotel before dinner. After dinner, it's back to the hotel.

Thursday:
We have a late morning flight so it's just get up and go home :(

Thoughts? Am I being too aggressive? Once I can nail down a base, I'll plan which "lands" we'll hit at which parks and in what order, FP+, etc... Is there anything I'm missing? Thanks so much!

I would love some experienced input. DH and I have been to Disney before kids but that was about 5+ years ago so let me know what you think. We have DS (8), DD (6) and DD (4.5) - we are going May 2 to May 8th and staying at POR. We will land in Orlando at 1:10am on Friday. I haven't ironed out exactly what our plans will be once in the park since I'm still trying to figure out our "skeleton" plan if you will...

Did you mean to say 1:10 pm??

Arrival Day:
Get to hotel and either just relax around there or maybe take the boat the DTD for an easy dinner and maybe Lego land. This will depend on how the trip out is but we don't want to make it a late night because of the next day.

That is a fantastic 1st day - relaxed and still "Disney" with your trip to DTD.

Saturday:
MK - I know that it's advised to stay away from MK on a Saturday but I want our first day to be here.
ADR for CRT at 8:05am to start the day
Spend the day at MK, more detailed plan to come but we'll want to do the Fantasy parade and probably a QS dinner. We won't stay for the electric parade or fireworks, mostly because I believe this will make it a crazy long first day.

Plan to eat and then hit Fantasyland. Even on a Saturday, early arrival is key and you can cover a lot of ground before the 11 am crowds start to filter in. Plan your FP+ for 12 noon and on, allowing yourself to enjoy things as you wait for the parade. Plan to watch the parade in Liberty Square rather than Main Street and you will not have to spend hours holding your spot.

Sunday:
HS - ADR for H&V breakfast at 8:30
Again specific plan TBD but we also have the Fantasmic! Dining Package at Mama Melrose at 4:30. We do plan to stay for Fantasmic! that night (9pm). I'm unsure if we'll take a break back at the hotel or just stay and relax at the park.
That is a LONG day in a park that has some key headliners, but not a lot for the "in between" times. I would suggest even taking the boat to Boardwalk, etc just to break up your day and give you a break.

Monday:
Epcot - Won't rush to get there, will plan specifics later.
ADR at La Hacienda for dinner and then Illuminations.

If you want to ride both Test Track and Soarin' you should plan to get there early - hit one and FP+ the other. Epcot is HUGE it takes a lot of time and a lot of walking.

I noticed you plan to stay at the parks late three days in a row - that might be a lot. Just an observation...

Tuesday:
MK - 2nd day. I choose this day over Wednesday as there is no Light parade on Weds. I'm hoping for a BOG FP for lunch and then another QS for dinner. I would like to be there at rope drop for this day so here it may make sense to take a mid-day break at the hotel, maybe after lunch (I hate losing 3 hours though!). Stay through fireworks.
You will NEED the break after the last few days and MK is crazy in teh mid-afternoon!! Again, plan your FP+ for 12 noon to 2:00pm then head back to the hotel. You will truly accomplish more in the 3 hours before noon then you will for the remainder of the day combined.

Wednesday (final day):
AK - I struggle with this day the most. I left AK until last as this is the lowest park on our list. I figured if we need to shift our plans (say a bad rainy day or melt downs, etc) we can always skip AK and re-do a park (or split the day). Anyway, AK has EMH this day. I know the touring sites say to skip parks with EMH unless you plan to be there early. I would love to say that we will be there for EMH however with this being day 6 and a late night at MK, the kids may be exhausted. I'd love to be there at rope drop, do the safari, wander around the park relaxed and then leave after the parade. We do have ADR's for Chef Mickey for dinner at 7:05pm so if we stay for the parade, it may be to tight to rest at the hotel before dinner. After dinner, it's back to the hotel.

Do not skip AK. It is worth it to see. The Safari is fantastic. I would plan to go early and leave at noon, then after a break Park Hop to another park. Enjoy the break to catch up on sleep. Can you do Illuminations tonight instead of the 3 nights in a row? Might be wise to split this day up....

Thursday:
We have a late morning flight so it's just get up and go home :(

Thoughts? Am I being too aggressive? Once I can nail down a base, I'll plan which "lands" we'll hit at which parks and in what order, FP+, etc... Is there anything I'm missing? Thanks so much!

Have fun!!!

When making the FP+ reservations, I try to make mine to minimize walking all over the park. If the attractions are close to each other, I try to schedule them back to back.

I know you hate to miss the time in the park if you go to the room but if you find your kids are getting tired, a break may pay off later in the evening.

Thanks for the feedback! I know, it turns out to be a bunch of late nights in a row which makes me nervous but there's 5 days, 4 parks and 3 night shows. Since Saturday is the earliest ADR, the first full day and the latest fireworks, we didn't want to do that night, which leaves the next 3 nights in a row since AK is the last day. We could cancel La Hacienda and do Illuminations Wednesday night after a break from AK but Epcot can be one of my later days too.

Arrival Day:

I would definitely not go all the way to Lego Land if you're wanting to make it an early night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter