Playing bunco for the first time

DisneyScraps

DIS Veteran
I was invited to a Bunco game tonight. It's a group of regular people that all know each other. We are asked to bring 5.00 and a dish to share.

What should I need to know ahead of time about the game?

What should I need to know ahead of time about the game?

Nothing :) It's probably the most brainless game ever.

But we love it - we have a group and we play once a month for the last 2 or 3 years. It's a fun excuse to get together with girlfriends and have a fun evening.

Enjoy!!:goodvibes

If you can throw dice and count you are good to go. In fact if all you can do is throw dice you are still good, because your table partner will probably be counting too.

Bunco is mindless fun. Zero skill is involved, and since it's all women playing, if you have any questions there will be plenty of people more than happy to jump in and boss you around.:lmao:

I've played with 3 groups, and the rules were a little different in each one. Really, it's so simple - it's all about the socializing, food, and drink.

I agree with everyone, the game itself is totally mindless so that you can socialize while you play. 'Cause bunco is really about chatting and enjoying time with your friends.
Once my bunco group invited husbands/boyfriends along and the men kept getting frustrated with us for talking while we were playing--they'd say "focus on the game!" :lmao:

Have fun. It is goofy but a good time. We also do a bunco group and meet once a month.

YES
they will:

Complain about husbands and kids
they will One up each other
They will invite you to candle parties

Bring a five dollar bill or singles...it is hard to divvy up the cash or make change for $20 bills if everyone brings them.

Hopefully someone who has played will help you make a scoring chart. But the game is really very easy.

Our group did themed bunkos. I miss it terribly! We only played one game though. We were not a pure bunko group. We had dinner (different people hosts) and then played.

Other groups are all business about bunko and play the usual 3 games.

It is "kinda" like Yahtzee....but not. You play 6 rounds, round 1, you are trying for 1's. Round 2 is 2's and round 3 is 3's and so on. Bunko is when you get 5 of the same number in that round. Then there is something else that I have forgotten. But those are the basics.

You will have a partner who sticks with you and the goal is to win the most games (or lose the most games).

We always had monetary prizes for:
Last to wear the hat
Most Bunko's
Most wins
Most losses (they got their $5 back)

Any ties were drawn for or the people would opt to split.

Tons of fun! We would also have additional contests sometimes--especially if there was some kind of costume theme. :)

Bring a five dollar bill or singles...it is hard to divvy up the cash or make change for $20 bills if everyone brings them.

Hopefully someone who has played will help you make a scoring chart. But the game is really very easy.

Our group did themed bunkos. I miss it terribly! We only played one game though. We were not a pure bunko group. We had dinner (different people hosts) and then played.

It is "kinda" like Yahtzee....but not. You play 6 rounds, round 1, you are trying for 1's. Round 2 is 2's and round 3 is 3's and so on. Bunko is when you get 5 of the same number in that round. Then there is something else that I have forgotten. But those are the basics.

You will have a partner who sticks with you and the goal is to win the most games (or lose the most games).

Last to wear the hat
Most Bunko's
Most wins

Tons of fun! We would also have additional contests sometimes--especially if there was some kind of costume theme. :)

Actually, you never can be with the same partner twice in a row - even if you move to the same table (there will be 3), you have to switch.
This is what makes it really fun, because each time you switch, you are with different people, so you can have dozens of different conversations in a short amount of time.

And in my groups, subs usually end up winning something - don't know why!

Last to wear the hat
Most Bunko's
Most wins

We did themed Bunco too. The host picked the theme. Everyone brought $5 and a small gift matching the theme (under $7). If you Bunco'd you got to pick a gift, and then the cash was divvied up, most wins, most losses, and most buncos. 12 rounds if we had 12 players and 16 rounds if we had 16 players. if we were short a player, we had a big stuffed dog that was our ghost player.

I really miss my bunco group from Wa.:guilty:

Actually, you never can be with the same partner twice in a row - even if you move to the same table (there will be 3), you have to switch.
This is what makes it really fun, because each time you switch, you are with different people, so you can have dozens of different conversations in a short amount of time.

And in my groups, subs usually end up winning something - don't know why!

DOH! You are right--it has been a while. I think we played head table winners stayed with the same partner while remaining at the head table.

It has been a long while since I played.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter