Playa del Carmen Wedding (for daughter)

Hound 109

<font color=teal>So non-screamin' family members c
My daughter is looking at Playa del Carmen for a wedding destination. (I was bribing her with a DLR wedding but it was a no/go :rolleyes: )

Our family has never been to the Yucatan (Cozumel/Cancun or Playa) so i thought i would ask the experts. :)

- 20 - 30 people would attend. (2 children ages 6 & 8)
- Prefer an "all inlclusive" resort.
- Possibly around the first of June.

Would love opinions on:

- Restaurants near Playa (aka as the "Mayan Riveria")?
- Golf Course (s) near Playa?
- Boat to Cozumel.
- Fishing?
- Ruins & Sightseeing?
- Hotels/Resorts (would prefer all inclusive). Doesn't need to be the "best" but would prefer top tier.
- Wedding sites & accessibility to the town & activities. (best hotels?)

- She is currently looking at (researching)

- The Rui Palace,
- The Paradisus Riviera,
- The Royal (Portoreal) &
- The Iberostar Paraiso.

Thanks everyone. :hippie:

hound - :cool2:

We went thru Playa del Carmen on our way to the Mayan ruins.The beaches were beautiful. The Mayan ruins at Tulum are spectacular, as is the view from the cliffs there.

We didn't spend long in PDC or the surrounding area, but what we did see was spectularly dirty (even my dd who was 7 actually noticed and commented on the ever-present garbage and rats), so if I were going there, I'd plan on spending most of my time at the resort.

I would recommend the Iberostar Paraiso. They have a complex there with 5 hotels ranging in prices and luxury. So if someone wanted to go a little cheaper (Beach/Del Mar) or more expensive (Maya, Grand) they could and all be on the same grounds. The Lindo would be right in the middle which is where I would go back if I ever go. We stayed at the Del Mar and while I would recommend it (very nice and clean) I just preferred the layout and clientele at the Lindo.

Just note that the more expensive resorts have full access to the other resorts, where as the less expensive ones can't use the other facilities.

Not on your list, but check out the Playacar Palace. It is a small resort, 212 rooms or around there, I believe. It is all inclusive. It has three restaurants...buffet, Chinese and Italian. A swim up bar, a pool bar, a lobby bar and a lounge. There is a balcony overlooking the pool/beach where they perform the wedding ceromy, very nice. I went to a vow renewal there.

This hotel offers one tour with your package you can choose snorkling, the ruins, and I forget the other choices. These are tours and not time share pitches.

The Playacar is located just footsteps from the ferry to Cozumel and you can use the facilities at the Cozumel Palace, a sister resort. Nowadays you might have to let them know you're coming, not completely sure. But it makes for a good home base for a day trip to the island.

It is also footsteps to Fifth Avenue the shopping restuarant district for Playa De Carmen. Fifth Avenue has everything from boutiques to touristy souvenir stands and from Carlos n' Charlie's and Senor Frog's to authentic Mexican restaurants.

Security is present is good numbers and we felt secure walking either the beach or sidewalks to both Fifth Avenue and the ferry and back to the hotel.

There is another Palace resort - Moon - that offers golf.

I second Iberostar. We saw MANY weddings while there. Makes for beautiful pictures. If I had to do it all over again I would get married on the beach there.

We stayed at the Del Mar. I don't think upgraded to one of their more expensive resorts is necessary. We did not want for anything. BTW we also went in June and the weather was perfect.

Good luck!:bride:

Last month My DW & I went to Cancun for 5 days & 4 nights. Anyhow, we went to spend the day at Cozumel & the only way to get there is going to Playa del Carmen which that place is really nice. There's a Ferry boat ride which is about 20.00 bucks going & 20.00 bucks back to Playa (US dollars). If you guys go to Cozumel, look for this place where they sell 1 dollar for Coronas:thumbsup2 Good luck.

We stayed at the Riu Palace during Christmas of 2004 and LOVED it. We threw my parents a surprise "re-wedding" (lol) for their 25th anniversary during the time we were there. We actually held the wedding at the Wyndham down the street as they had a little place on the beach that was nice to get married.

Anyway, we can't say enough great things about Riu. We didn't have childrent with us, though, and I would probably not recommend it for kids. In fact, I don't remember seeing many kids there so they might have some kind of rule, but I don't think so. If you stay at the Palace, you can play at all the Rius in Playa, which was nice. The beach was lovely and the resort itself was in a good location. We actually had plans to do all of the touring and boat to Cozumel , but we ended up never leaving the resort!

Tracy

Thanks for all the great opinions & advice. I'm printing all of these & it looks like i need to add a couple places to her research list.

Did anyone play golf or go fishing?

Did anyone eat outside the resort....or is this not logical because of the all inclusive aspect?

Interesting to see there are different levels at the Iberostar. (i think DD was leaning to the Riu Palace & the Iberostar....good to here that both are recommended.)

Thanks again. :thumbsup2

I would recommend the Iberostar Paraiso. They have a complex there with 5 hotels ranging in prices and luxury. So if someone wanted to go a little cheaper (Beach/Del Mar) or more expensive (Maya, Grand) they could and all be on the same grounds. The Lindo would be right in the middle which is where I would go back if I ever go. We stayed at the Del Mar and while I would recommend it (very nice and clean) I just preferred the layout and clientele at the Lindo.

Just note that the more expensive resorts have full access to the other resorts, where as the less expensive ones can't use the other facilities.

The Grand can't be accessed by the other IB* resort patrons. I'm not sure why this is, other than it's adults-only. From what I've learned, those staying at the Grand wear one color wristband and the other IB* resorts another color.

ETA: My cousin just got back from the Maya a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it!

I had the perfect place to recommend but then noticed you had 2 children going with you so that's out!

I can say it is beautiful place in Playa! We saw many at our hotel alone!

And I have to say I hate wearing wristbands! LOL They are such a pain!! That's one of the reasons we'll continue to stay at the adults only one in Riviera Maya/Playa area! One girl we talked to at our resort said the reason they chose that resort was she didn't want to deal with people wearing wristbands in her pictures....I hadn't thought of that so they may want to check that out and see if they can take them off for the wedding and then put new ones back on.

Hope you can find somewhere to have the wedding! I'm sure it will be amazing! As for dining out there are many places you can try in Playa! Lots of them!! I don't know about golf courses nearby but most hotels have a tour desk where you can schedule everything like fishing, golf, scuba, snorkel, ruin tours.

We stayed at the Riu Palace during Christmas of 2004 and LOVED it. We threw my parents a surprise "re-wedding" (lol) for their 25th anniversary during the time we were there. We actually held the wedding at the Wyndham down the street as they had a little place on the beach that was nice to get married.

Anyway, we can't say enough great things about Riu. We didn't have childrent with us, though, and I would probably not recommend it for kids. In fact, I don't remember seeing many kids there so they might have some kind of rule, but I don't think so. If you stay at the Palace, you can play at all the Rius in Playa, which was nice. The beach was lovely and the resort itself was in a good location. We actually had plans to do all of the touring and boat to Cozumel , but we ended up never leaving the resort!

Tracy

I thought i would report back & let you know that my daughter & wife selected the Riu Palace. One reason they did was that we heard from both Tracy (above) & from a couple of other people that although the Riu allows kids (we'll have 2 in our party of 30ish), it doesn't "cater" to kids. (which is really what we were looking for).

Thanks for all the great advice guys. :thumbsup2

Now if anyone hears about damage to Playa or Tulum (because of the huricane), please feel free to post.

hound - :scared1:

I am going to be a big wet blanket and say please please please make sure you get insurance to cover the trip and expenses.

My DSis was planning to be married in the Playa area two years ago in July. That is until a hurricane hit destroying the property and ruining the wedding. No one had insurance so the people who paid had to go or lose money and it was not a fun vacation.

I realize you are going in June but do yourselves a BIG favor and buy insurance!

I thought i would report back & let you know that my daughter & wife selected the Riu Palace. One reason they did was that we heard from both Tracy (above) & from a couple of other people that although the Riu allows kids (we'll have 2 in our party of 30ish), it doesn't "cater" to kids. (which is really what we were looking for).

Thanks for all the great advice guys. :thumbsup2

Now if anyone hears about damage to Playa or Tulum (because of the huricane), please feel free to post.

hound - :scared1:

We are SOOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS!!! From what I am reading, the resorts from Cancun down to Playa were spared the brunt of the damage. Now, south of Playa, I believe is where the most damage lies. Hopefully when power is restored we will get better news reports.

Yes, from what we observed, the Palace did not cater to kids. Like I said, there were hardly any when we were there so I am not sure if they have a sort of unspoken rule or what.

I hope you all have a good time. With 30 people, they should give you your own wing, lol!

Since we didn't have kids, I can tell you that my brother (and all the guys in the group) thought the best part was the "bar" in your room... They have liquor dispensers and fridges with beer (soda and water too) in the room. No extra charge. Definitely not for the kiddies, lol! :rotfl:

Tracy

I realize you are going in June but do yourselves a BIG favor and buy insurance!

And either purchase it at the time you buy the package, or get it within 15 days, so that you can take advantage of optional "cancel for any reason" coverage!

Try www.insuremytrip.com. Great site for comparing different policies!

We are SOOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS!!! From what I am reading, the resorts from Cancun down to Playa were spared the brunt of the damage. Now, south of Playa, I believe is where the most damage lies. Hopefully when power is restored we will get better news reports.

Yes, from what we observed, the Palace did not cater to kids. Like I said, there were hardly any when we were there so I am not sure if they have a sort of unspoken rule or what.

I hope you all have a good time. With 30 people, they should give you your own wing, lol!

Since we didn't have kids, I can tell you that my brother (and all the guys in the group) thought the best part was the "bar" in your room... They have liquor dispensers and fridges with beer (soda and water too) in the room. No extra charge. Definitely not for the kiddies, lol! :rotfl:

Tracy

I'm not sure how far down the resort is, but PDC for the most part suffered no major damage. From what I've read from locals that live there, they didn't even lose electricity. (playa.info/org)

The hotel that we're staying at had some debris on the beach and in the pool, but is perfectly fine otherwise. Thank goodness!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter