• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Plato's Closet?

mjhd

DIS Veteran
Has anyone sold clothes here? I have some nicer teen brand clothing that I would love to get cash for. My sister's friend said that they are SUPER picky though and most things need to be within the last year. These things are definitely not that recent but are still cute - some even have tags on them.

Can someone give me example prices or maybe compare them to Once Upon a Child? Thanks!

Has anyone sold clothes here? I have some nicer teen brand clothing that I would love to get cash for. My sister's friend said that they are SUPER picky though and most things need to be within the last year. These things are definitely not that recent but are still cute - some even have tags on them.

Can someone give me example prices or maybe compare them to Once Upon a Child? Thanks!

They have a list of style numbers, and they are very picky. I took some of DD's old clothes, including some in like-new condition that were very cute, and they declined to purchase since they were from more than a year earlier. If they take the clothes, they'll pay a bit more than you would probably get at a yard sale.

Plato's Closet is a franchise of the same parent corporation as Once Upon A Child. I found OUAC to not be as picky as to the age of the clothes.

They are very picky. I took some of my daughter's cloths. They were American Eagle, Ralph Lauren, Hollister....None of it had stains or rips. They only accepted certain things. It's kinda crazy. We were in there this past saturday, they had a no boundaries (walmart) dress in there for sale. Two people came in to see how much money they were getting for their cloths while we were there. They got most of there cloths back and only got like $17.00. You should have seen the looks they gave the clerk. :lmao:

They are MEGA picky! If it isn't from the last year your better off giving it to a shelter or trying to find a friend that wants the clothes. Thats what I did.

I've been told by a franchise owner that I know that if the clothing was sold at retail more than 4 months ago, they normally will not accept it.
Who sells clothes that are less than 4 months old, unless the kid has had a massive quick growth spurt?

They are a bit less picky at OUAC (part of the same company), but not by all that much.

Bottom line is that buying there is a good bargain, but selling, not so much. Use It's Deductible and write the donations off on your taxes instead. The allowances for value are quite generous.

My DD has been taking her clothes to Plato's for several years and does very well. She goes at the start of each season and typically leaves with 50-75$. She then uses the money towards new clothes. You won't get rich selling at Plato's Closet but it is a way to help pay for new school clothes etc

THEY ARE WAY WAY PICKY--in fact, to me it's not even worth it, I'm sure it varies by area...I took an entire laundry basket full of clothes in there, 95% name brand, many still with tags on them. And clothes from all 4 seasons. I'm not sure if the sizes weren't what they were looking for (size 8-14) or what, but it took them 30 minutes to go through the basket, and they bought one shirt from me (tags still on it mind you) and actually now that I think about it, that shirt came from Kohls! :rotfl: And they gave me $1.75...A waste of my 30 minutes, I just donated the rest of the clothes to Goodwill...

I have not tried Plato's but if you are going to just donate, you may check with
your school district..ours has a clothing closet...kids on free or reduced lunch or referred can go....at least it is going to someone who can actually use it instead of goodwill to sell.

Way too picky for me too!! I took in a bunch of Nike Dry Fit shirts of my husbands about a year ago. Nothing wrong with them and I was told they wouldn't be able to sell them. Are you kidding me??? :confused:Was a complete waste of my time and gas to drive there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter