• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PlatePass is stressing me out. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Piglet99645

DIS Veteran
We are staying our entire trip inside the Disney Bubble, but I am renting a car for the week because I don't like to be without one, parking is free, and I have to go from WDW to Sanford Airport on day 2 to pick up a member of our party (we are flying into MCO).

I live in a state with no toll roads, so I don't have my own transponder.

Thrifty talks about their PlatePass on the site, and I've read up on it, but nowhere does Thrifty say HOW MUCH IT IS. ALSO, I am a BlueChip member (new for this trip) and should be able to bypass the counter and go straight to my car. Then what? Thrifty site says I can "opt in" by "opening the transponder" but people here are reporting getting cars with no transponder in them.

Don't even get me started on the fact that Florida apparently has toll roads with no way to pay with cash.

So please tell me EXACTLY WHAT TO DO to avoid some big bill on the back end of my trip that defeats the deal of getting a rental car for $240 for the week. (A one way trip from Sanford to WDW in a hired car is at least $150, plus Lyft back and forth to WDW and I've already saved money with a rental car except for this toll BS).

I've looked at google maps and it looks like there are options to get from MCO to WDW, and Sanford to WDW, without using toll roads. Is that realistic?

Thrifty charges $10.50 for each day of your rental, not just the days you use it. $$$

The best solution is to get the visitor sunpass at MCO. You go online to register it.You only pay the cost of the tolls, no.extra fees

Avoiding tolls from MCO to WDW will add time to your trip.

You don't want to be stuck in traffic if paying tolls will save time.

Visitor Toll Pass is Free, easy and saves $$ on tolls. Check out the website and download their App. Pick up the Hangtag at the airport and return it after your trip. Decline your Car Rental Toll Pay program at the airport exit too.

Visitor Toll Pass is Free, easy and saves $$ on tolls. Check out the website and download their App. Pick up the Hangtag at the airport and return it after your trip. Decline your Car Rental Toll Pay program at the airport exit too.
Read OPs follow up post almost 6 hours before your post

Don't even get me started on the fact that Florida apparently has toll roads with no way to pay with cash.
Just about everywhere is going to cashless tolling, been that way in Illinois for a few years now. The bigger difference is that there are still toll roads in FL that you can pay for every toll with cash. It does hurt when you're in a rental car and stuck with the usurious fees that the companies charge. One of the things I pay attention to when renting in a tolled area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter