Plateau

Breezy_Carol

Who needs doors when you can use windows
I started WW in November and have been doing well. Lost 16 pounds in the first 10 weeks. Nice, gradual, steady weight loss. Now I have "hit the wall." Haven't lost in about 2 weeks. Actually showed a .8 gain at the last meeting.

I am still journaling and drinking water and staying in my points range. REALLY! No cheating.

Is this normal? Will I start losing again? I am starting to get down about this.

Any encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it is normal. The human body is emminently adaptable. If it notes a distinct lack of nutrition, it will start operating at a lower level to conserve energy. There are many opinions about how to avoid and/or get beyond that point.

First, while the body is emminently adaptable, it has its limits. After a certain amount of time, it will finally "give up" and you'll start losing again. (Of course, you need to be concerned about what it is using for fuel at that point: I believe that if you eat enough protein and do enough weight-bearing exercise, it'll hit your fat stores rather than cannibalize muscle.)

Many people feel that calorie cycling can help trick the body to give up its conservation efforts. That means deliberately increasing calories for a few days or a week, and then going back to your weight-loss regimen. Of course, the added calories will result in weight gain in the short term, but the thought is that it will help get you past the plateau.

Sometimes, just changing what you're eating (as opposed to the number of calories) does the trick. If you're eating 60% carbs, then try racheting that back to 50%, and increasing protein to compensate. If you're eating only 10% fat, try increasing that to 15%, lowering carbs to compensate.

I know that if you aren't eating enough protein your metabolism will slow down drastically. I know you will break through that "wall" soon. Hang in there. You can do it!

I think plateaus are normal. I have been about two months losing this last five pounds. I had to work a lot harder at it too, than when I first started.

I bet it is frustrating but it sounds like you've been doing great! Have you asked your leader about it or had her look at your journal to see if she can make any suggestions? Good luck!!! The pounds will start coming off again soon!

Thanks, everyone, for your positive thoughts.

I will keep at it. Got to look good for RiddleCon.

Breezy - plateaus are definitely a normal occurence. Sometimes your body just has to adjust to the changes that are taking place. The key is to not lose motivation during those times - but rather to renew your efforts so that you move beyond it.

You have been doing WONDERFULLY! Treat yourself to a nice walk, a long bath, or some time here on the DIS uninterrupted! - but celebrate your success to date - you deserve it! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter