• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Plants sold in The Land

CapnJacksGirl

Mom to two little scalliwags!
I bought one of the tiny little plants that are available for purchase in The Land, just outside Soarin', when we were there last May. He was a tiny little delicate thing when I brought him home, and I'm so proud of how he's grown! My own little piece of EPCOT, sitting right in my living room! My problem is that I've lost the packaging that it came in and can't recall what kind of plant it is! I thought it was kalanchoe but I did a google search and the photos of that plant don't look like my little guy. ??????

Does anyone know what the names of the plants are that are available (they may have even changed by now) or would someone be able to check when they're there and let me know? I can obviously wait until August, but when you have a million friends to ask for help, why not?!? If I can't figure it out by August, I'll take a photo with me and ask the experts!

I don't know the names of them but I've always wondered if they were easy to grow. I may pick one up later this month and give it a shot, its nice having a unique reminder of Epcot at home all the time.

I wouldn't call it easy but it's pretty gratifying when it takes off! The first few weeks are the hardest. You have to take your tiny little plant out of that plastic case and rinse off the gel that surround its roots. That's the scariest part because it was a little difficult to get off and the roots are so tiny and delicate! Then you put it in a planter and cover it with a plastic bag for a couple of weeks, kind of like making your own mini greenhouse I guess. Supposedly to keep it in a more "sterile" environment. You gradually poke a larger hole in it until he's totally exposed. The instructions are pretty detailed but I was so nervous! I really wanted my own personal piece of The Land and EPCOT and I would have absolutely cried if he didn't make it! Thankfully he did and I just love it!!!!

Highly recommended as a souvenir!

I would love to see a picture. This sounds like something I would like to do. I have never noticed the plants before, so I can't help you as far as what the names are.

I bought one of the tiny little plants that are available for purchase in The Land, just outside Soarin', when we were there last May. He was a tiny little delicate thing when I brought him home, and I'm so proud of how he's grown! My own little piece of EPCOT, sitting right in my living room! My problem is that I've lost the packaging that it came in and can't recall what kind of plant it is! I thought it was kalanchoe but I did a google search and the photos of that plant don't look like my little guy. ??????

Does anyone know what the names of the plants are that are available (they may have even changed by now) or would someone be able to check when they're there and let me know? I can obviously wait until August, but when you have a million friends to ask for help, why not?!? If I can't figure it out by August, I'll take a photo with me and ask the experts!

So COOL! I didn't realize they sold them. I'll have to look into it next time.

The plant sounds so neat, and like something my son would love! Thanks for the review!

This sounds so cool! I would love some more info i.e. price, types of plants, any other info that you might have. I think I might have to get one for my house as well!

Here's what it looks like at EPCOT. It's a plastic case (maybe six inches tall) with a tiny little start of a plant that is actually grown from cells of plants in The Land. I'm pretty sure it was $9.95. Great souvenir!!! (And I can tell from this photo I found on google that my plant really is Kalanchoe!:

minigarden.jpg

And here's what the little plant that could looks like after a year! Go little plant go!

minigarden_2.jpg

Now I need a Mickey planter to put it in!! I know what's on my souvenir list for August! ;)

I've always played around with the idea of getting one of those - might take the plunge next time. I want one of the pineapple plants (I've seen them for sale but didn't pick one up)!

Those are so cool!! I will have to pick one of those up. I saw that they sell venus flytraps as well. My son would love! to have one of those.

Thanks for the pictures/prices.

Oh I want one too! We will be flying back to California with it - anyone know if its an issue crossing state lines with this or is in exempt?

I have the redwood. Its been growing in its little sterile environment. I am very afraid to transfer it, but I guess I should soon.

If it was an issue, I never even thought about it! I just had it in my carry-on bag and went on my way. Nothing was said at security (if they even knew it was there) and my Florida plant is now a Minnesota resident!

I have the redwood. Its been growing in its little sterile environment. I am very afraid to transfer it, but I guess I should soon.

Nerve-wracking, isn't it?!? Like I said before, rinsing the roots is the scariest part. Just take it very easy with it and your plant will be fine! Good luck!

I love these plants.

I actually left mine in their glass habitats for a long time, basically until all the gel was gone, and they were busting at the seams.

I did the pineapple and the vanilla orchid. Both plants are doing very well after transplanting. My vanilla is almost 3 years old and getting big. They are actually very hardy. I do not have a green thumb, and I've managed to keep these alive for quite a long time. It's a great souvenir, and a great gift for kids.

Happy planting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter