Planning trip for after Christmas vs Summer trip? Opinions please?

polkadotladybug

Addicted to ebay!
My husband mentioned that we should look at planning a Disney trip for the week after Christmas (dates are flexible within a few days) - but we'd be going for 7-8 days. We already have 7 day parkhopper passes bought, so it's just hotel/food/etc. that would give us time to save up $$.

We have only been to WDW during the summer - June and July. Oh - our April trip felt like summer so I guess that counts too. LOL Summer is HOT - but we bring lots of changes of clothes, water, etc. We don't do the water parks (we have summer water park passes locally - yes not the same, but enough for us), but we do swim in the hotel pool in the afternoons. We love the late hours, especially the extra magic hours at night! I don't think we were back at our hotel room before midnight this past summer - we had very late nights - the kids enjoyed it - little one conked out on the way back - but it was definitely a little cooler at night and more enjoyable.

So how does a December trip differ from a summer trip?

What clothes do you need to pack? (we live in South Carolina so we are used to a warm climate (no snow!) but I'm sure Florida is even warmer) - shorts? Capris? Jeans?

How are crowds?

How are the hours - do the parks close earlier?

I can imagine that you don't have to pack 3 24 packs of water (and a few 12 packs of soda) like in the Summer - LOL so my dh will be glad he doesn't have to tote all the waters along - of course we'd bring water, but just not like in the summer when you immediately sweat it out! Of course if we have to wear big ole jackets - that's no fun either!

How are the pool temps?

How do the rates compare (he just mentioned this last night so I haven't checked on anything yet - we'd be doing a 'room only" ressie and we have AAA)

Basically - how does a December trip compare to a summer trip? Pros/Cons/etc.

Thanks for sharing!

Carol

Winter trip Pros:
1.no afternoon showers
2.Holiday decorations
3. Holiday entertainment

Winter trip Cons:
1.We felt it was too cool to get wet in pool or on water rides, though we did get in the hot tub
2.carrying a sweater/sweatshirt which was needed early morning and late at night
3. Shorter park hours

I think if you are fortunate enough to have the choice and you have never been when the parks are decorated, I would plan a winter trip. We prefer the warmer times of the year but have wonderful memories of the holiday decor/spirit and wearing shorts in December.

So how does a December trip differ from a summer trip?
My answers are specifically for the week between Christmas and into the first week of the New Year.

What clothes do you need to pack? (we live in South Carolina so we are used to a warm climate (no snow!) but I'm sure Florida is even warmer) - shorts? Capris? Jeans?
You should be prepared for any weather from the mid 30's to the mid 80's. It makes packing a pain. I usually pack jeans, shorts, long sleeve shirts, short sleeve shirts, tank tops, fleece/sweatshirts, and a windbreaker type jacket. I have one of the Columbia systems with the zip-in fleece. I also pack a pair of light "magic" stretchy gloves and an ear band to keep my ears warm. I adjust how many of the warm clothes/cool clothes depending on the forecast right before I go.

How are crowds?

How are the hours - do the parks close earlier?

The crowds are horrible. They are much worse than in the summer. The parks are open later (MGM 10:00PM, Epcot 9:30 PM, MK Midnight, AK 7:00 PM) and there is usually an Evening EMH park every night that is open past midnight. The MK is open every morning for EMH and another park is also usually open for morning EMH.

I can imagine that you don't have to pack 3 24 packs of water (and a few 12 packs of soda) like in the Summer - LOL so my dh will be glad he doesn't have to tote all the waters along - of course we'd bring water, but just not like in the summer when you immediately sweat it out! Of course if we have to wear big ole jackets - that's no fun either!

We do drink less water in the winter, but temps were up to the 80's this last trip. We wore tank tops and went through our water that day. Personally, I just drink the Orlando water. It doesn't bother me anymore.

How are the pool temps?

The pools are heated and pool temps are warm. I thought pool temps were too warm on our August 2006 trip and much nicer on our December 2006 trip. Be aware that air temperatures can still be chilly so getting to/from the pool may be cold. I packed a pair of sweats to lounge in back at the room and for going to the pool.

How do the rates compare (he just mentioned this last night so I haven't checked on anything yet - we'd be doing a 'room only" ressie and we have AAA)

Between 12/25 and 1/1 you'll have to probably pay rack rate. I believe that AAA rates are blacked out for that time. If you check in earlier that 12/25 you can usually get a discount rate that will continue past Christmas. Be aware that Holiday Rates start on 12/20 and they are the highest rates of the year. If you check-in on 12/19 you get the much, much lower Value Season rates as well as emptier parks.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

wow - so crowds are WORSE than July 4th week?? I didn't think they could get any more crowded - LOL! Maybe the hot weather wears on people and wipes a lot out - I guess if the weather is really nice - more would be able to hack it for longer!

Good to know about the AAA info - certainly some food for thought about rates - etc.

I'm sure this past Dec was great! It's supposed to get to 80 degrees here in Charleston today.

Keep the info/opinions coming! :)

Carol

My friends just went this year the week after Christmas. There were 3 parks closed in one day for a length of time due to capacity being reached. How about the week right after Thanksgiving? The crowds are much lower but you still have all the Christmas decorations up.

We aren't going to see the decorations, although that's certainly an added bonus. My dh's office closes between Christmas and New Years (plus a few days on either side) so it's a freebie week where he's off work and girls are out of school. We decorate on THankgiving weekend because we host a big Christmas parade party, so actually by the time Christmas is over - I'm WAY OVER decorations. My girls know that MOmmy doesn't allow Christmas music after Dec 25th - LOL!! (and it's on a limited basis in the month of Dec since the stations and stores start playing it SO EARLY!)

The decorations will still be up when you go. Actually I am way over decorations by the 26th of December, but they are really beautiful to see down in WDW. They do a great job there and some of the decorations are amazing.

My girls know that MOmmy doesn't allow Christmas music after Dec 25th - LOL!! (and it's on a limited basis in the month of Dec since the stations and stores start playing it SO EARLY!)
We left on 1/5/07 and they were just transitioning out of the Christmas music soundtracks. Decorations in the parks were still up, but they took the resort decorations at Boardwalk down on the 3rd I think.

I'm sure they are very pretty! Disney spares no expense on anything - I saw some show on the Travel CHannel that showed the different decorations (gingerbread "houses" type things but incredibly elaborate) from the different resorts. Those looked awesome!

Just wanted to clarify that we weren't necessarily "set" on going to see Christmas decorations (as I'm sure a lot of people are!). No worries!

But y'all are scaring me with the crowds and park closings! :eek: WHile I figured it would be crowded, I never considered it being busier than July 4th!

...But y'all are scaring me with the crowds and park closings! :eek: WHile I figured it would be crowded, I never considered it being busier than July 4th!

Yep, these are the busiest days of the year. Like the other poster noted, three of the four parks were closed AT THE SAME TIME on one day during Christmas week. MK closed at least three or four times. You are talking wall to wall people. We were there for Thanksgiving and we saw wait times for some rides for two+ hours. Small World had a wait time of 45-60 minutes. There was a line for Tomorrowland Transportation Company. And Thanksgiving didn't have parks closing to guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter