Planning our first trip- where to start??

MissMouse21

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!
My BF and I are planning our first trip May 23rd-28th, but where to start? Should we wait for room- only discounts to come out, or book through AAA or DU? Also, should we wait until we have our ressies to book airfare?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you! :D

We are also planning our first trip. I would suggest using a Disney trained travel agent like the agents at DIS (this board) or Small World Vacations. They will help you with all the ins and outs, make your PS's and apply discount codes as they become available. I got better rates through SWV then I did through AAA.

We booked a room only reservation for now and as the time comes closer, we can tweek our dates if needed to match air line times. I find that the best flight prices come about 21 days away from your travel dates. I have a fare alert set up at Travelocity.com so I get an email every time the price chages.

Now the hard part, deciding which hotel. We are staying at AKL, one because there are 5 of us and that limits where we can stay and two, our kids love animals and this appealed to us the most.

Thank you for the advice golfgal, I will definitely check out Small World Vacations. We are going to be very recent college graduates (the day before the trip!), so we need to get the best deal, and I would hate to book, then see a great discount.
AKL is beautiful! I was there for dinner once, and it seemed like a really great resort. Your children would love to see all of the animals! The Polynesian and POR also accomodate up to five people (at POR you can add a trundle bed), but AKL seems like it would be an excellent place to stay.

I have used Dreams Unlimited twice before and on our current trip. If you book now and then you get a code or a special comes out, they will get you the discount. They can also apply your AAA discount and are more knowledgeable about Disney than AAA. They can also book a room only and then if you want a package, you can change it.

I usually book my own flights and I also set the fare finder on Travelocity to let me know when fares drop. I will tell you, though, that if you find a good fare on travelocity, before you book it, check out that airline's website to see what they are charging. It never fails that I find the flight is a bit cheaper on the airline's website.

I would get working on the trip now so you can get a room for the time you want to go and then work on discounts from there. Then you can also start booking PS's for restaurant you really want to go to.

Thank you for the information! I've just put in for a quote from Small World Vacation and Dreams Unlimited, so hopefully they will send along information soon. Planning this vacation is a great way to spend the day under the three feet of snow here!

How do I contact them?
thanks Diane

I'd go ahead and book your room first. Then keep an eye out for codes for special rates. You can always try for a better rate, but at least get locked in on the resort you want when you want it. The next two things I would do are 1) Buy and study the UG, and 3) shop for airfare. :earsboy:

Do you think they'll come out with codes or special rates for the end of May? I have my AAA card, but everytime I've gone, we've always been able to get a really great discount. I would LOVE to stay at the Wildeness Lodge, but my BF and I wouldn't be able to afford it without a room- only discount. Is it possible to book a room at POR, then if we get a code, switch to the WL? I stayed there with ym family a few years ago, and i know that my BF would LOVE it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter