Planning our first trip to Trader Joe's...what are your favorites???

That is exactly my point -- that Trader Joe's isn't special if you don't eat processed foods...I can get everything I need at other grocery stores with less packaging and less hassle. :) Every TJs is different but ours doesn't have everything I need (like no bulk section) and/or they don't have the specific products I want (like true pasture raised organic eggs for example). There is nothing wrong with their store, it just doesn't suit my needs well and I thought I'd share my experience in case the OP didn't realize it may not be the amazing store they heard it was. I know I was extremely disappointed after going for the first time because I had read how amazing it was online!

There are certain items you can only buy there and I agree with the eggs I buy mine local fresh. I also only been able to find the 2 types of kale TJ. I totally get it is just different than saying I don't go there because of all the processed stuff that doesn't make it into my cart. I guess it boils down what kind of alternative stores you have.

I been to quite a few Trader Joe's in different states never seen a bulk section. But there is not a lot of bulk items that aren't processed maybe just cleaning and paper products.

Last edited:
I like their Sea Salt & Olive Oil Popcorn. It's pretty close to Skinny Pop but only $1.99 a bag.

I don't buy that much at TJ's, but it's good for snacks once in a while.

I've been reading this thread with interest, as we have a TJ's but I never shop there. My daughter shops there a lot, which I think is because she likes the vegetarian options? But anyway, what I'm seeing on this thread is primarily lists of snack foods we don't eat anyway. They may be good, I don't mean to imply they aren't, but we don't buy that stuff very often. The store is several miles away so I don't have a lot of incentive to go if I'm only looking at buying a few things. My daughter did mention they have good soup, and kinds you don't normally see (butternut squash, for example).

COOKIE BUTTER
Any pumpkin stuff
Vanilla wafers
Naan
Beef Tacos
Salsa verde
Guilt free mac 'n cheese
Black bean taquitos
triple ginger snaps
PB&J greek yogurt
PB&J bars
Gorgonzola gnocchi
French roast k-cups (only 4.99 for 12!)

Their produce and meat are pretty meh, but we love their frozen foods. They are great for nights when we are too busy to cook.

croissants, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin granola, pumpkin bars, pumpkin mix, pumpkin butter, frozen brown rice, pre portioned cashews, almond milk, green tea...QUICHE, steel cut oats, coconut oil, turkey breast and roast beef and ALL of the cheeses there, tomato sauce, jasmine rice, curries...I could go on and on..

They have a ton of pumpkin stuff right now. It's YUMMY!!

My son only eats Trader Joe's yogurt. Don't know why but it keeps me going there regularly and I always find other stuff to pick up.

Other things that have become semi regular purchases: uncured turkey bacon, frozen breaded chicken, 96% fat free ground beef, frozen mac n cheese.

I find their produce goes faster more quickly than what I buy at other stores but it does in a pinch.

We are going to Trader Joe's this weekend for the first time. Are there any items that are your"must buy's" when you visit. Can we bring our own bags? Any additional tips would also be appreciated!

They have the most delicious chocolate covered pretzels (I prefer the milk chocolate) and chocolate covered peanut butter stuffed pretzel nuggets.

chocolate Joe-Joe's
Unsalted peanut butter stuffed pretzel nuggets
Chocolate covered pretzels
Two buck chuck (during the holidays they carry specialty wines and beer/ale)
Organic frozen brown rice
Arugula
Brussels sprouts
Fresh herbs
Trader Joes blackberry jam
Pepper jelly
McCanns Irish steel cut oatmeal (cheaper here by $4 to $5 per can)
Graham crackers (they taste as good as Nabisco and half the price)
Balsamic vinegar
Frozen wild blueberries
Pancake mix

Less Guilt Mac & Cheese
Less Guilt Ricotta and Spinach Stuffed Shells
Frozen Artichoke Hearts (can't find frozen anywhere else)
Breaded Chicken Strips (only place where they're not "fritters" aka half breading)
Mini Pizzas
Cereal Bars (I like Fig, Pumpkin, Apple, Peanut Butter and Brownie)
72% Cacao Mini Bars
Extra Dark Chocolate Wedges, Carmel filled Dark Chocolate Wedges (my sis like the Expresso Beans)
Natural Peanut Butter w/Flax Seed
Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels (aka Crack Pillows)

Lots of condiments like Chili Sauce, Vinaigrettes, clarified butter, spices etc. Their cheese is good but not everyone in the house appreciates it so I don't buy it often. I refuse to try Cookie Butter because the calorie content for one tablespoon is ridiculous and as much as I've heard about it's addictive qualities I choose not to go down that path, lol. I like their produce but I don't find it reasonably priced in my area. Do not care for their yogurt, I keep trying but it's been a fail every time.

For me TJ's is not about grocery shopping but the handful of things I can't get anywhere else. If I'm trying a new recipe that calls for a specialty item I'll head there first rather than scouring a half dozen grocery stores trying to find it or paying the outrageous prices at Whole Foods or places like it.

It is great if you need slightly unusual items that normally cost an arm and a leg elsewhere...
When I was making an International Lunch platter, the Cookie Butter (Belgium/Netherlands), Sunflower Seed Butter (USA - for peanut allergies), and Hazelnut Spread (Italy) I needed were all cheapest here and easiest to find in one place.
So, I shop here 1-2 times a year, but I always walk away happy when I do (and with extra items than the ones I planned). And I do agree - best employees AND management anywhere.

I always get their unpopped corn for my whirly pop, vanilla and chocolate soymilk in the 64 oz shelf stable carton, french green beans and bowtie pasta. Every where else the bowties are 12oz but at TJ's they still have the 16 oz package! Oh and garlic naan (frozen) and the pirate's booty knock off. it's always a fun place to go.

EVOO
Tortilla Chips
Salsa
Frozen French Onion Soup
Two Buck Chuck (Charles Shaw brand wine, I'm not a big wine drinker so I don't notice the difference between this and a nicer bottle)
Trader Jose Beer (almost like a Corona)
Black Beans (canned)
Jar Spices (I find these much cheaper then at our grocery store)
Bar Soap
Chocolate Covered Pomegranate
Burritos (frozen)

Butter lettuce
frozen orange chicken
chocolate ice cream
yogurt
fresh flowers

Also, their greeting cards are only $0.99 and super adorable.

My DD (13) loves to try whatever the sample is. She has actually eaten a lot of things there that I didn't think she would like. (Quinoa, several soups, yellow curry sauce, vodka pasta sauce, pumpkin ravioli).
There flowers are very reasonable here, 3.99-7.99 a bunch. Great quick hostess or teacher gifts.
We like their large variety of nuts, seeds, banana chips, dried papaya etc.
Two Buck Chuck (2.89 here in Oregon) over the holidays they have a Nouveau that is delicious. I buy three cases and it lasts me until about July depending on how much entertaining I do. Comes out about October 15 and when they run out it gone for another year!
Hazelnut chocolate bars (large maybe 6-8 oz for $4.99) amazing!
They do have a lot of frozen convenience foods. We usually eat pretty healthy but do like their frozen tarts and pizzas.
The meat/ cheese case is very expensive for our area.
Bread is not usually very fresh because we are pretty far from the closest TJ's so I skip it.

I don't go to Trader Joes often as it is quite a drive for me, I don't by candy and snack foods there. I figure if I am buying junk food I might as well buy cheep junk food.
I do get riced cauliflower, and pre-made pizza crust dough. I also like the selection of dried fruits.

We are going to Trader Joe's this weekend for the first time. Are there any items that are your"must buy's" when you visit. Can we bring our own bags? Any additional tips would also be appreciated!
I love TJ's croissants & milk is good.

It's a little early in the season, but TJ's peppermint jojos are awesome!
Yes!!! Our TJ's is in another town and way out of my way to get to so we went once but a coworker goes to hers often and every year brings in a few boxes of jo jo's to work. OMG, they are addicting!

It's a little early in the season, but TJ's peppermint jojos are awesome!

Another huge fan! In fact, DS10 and I were just talking about these the other day. I figure they should hit the shelves in November. I'm also going to try to get the fancy Advent calendar this year---last year, I was too late! They have some cool Christmas stuff!

one thing I'll mention that I haven't seen here ... one must NOT buy item is sushi. it's basically terrible. LOL

items from TJ's we love:
- produce
- fresh flowers
- some of their bagged salad mixes are good
- pre-made pizza dough
- they have a decent cheese selection. we love bacon cheddar.
- their price on kerrygold butter is great
- sweet & salty pecans
- trail mixes
- frozen berry cherry mix
- hash browns
- croissants
- mini PB cups
- puff pastry (seasonal)
- snacks for parties -- cheese sticks, Parmesan pups, etc
- spices
- this ___ walks into a bar
- chocolate
- cowboy salsa

I think that's all ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter