• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planning our 2nd trip to WDW for Oct 16 - POR or something else?

kristie73

Mouseketeer
We are planning our 2nd trip to WDW for Oct 2016. Our first visit we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and we really liked it in Spring 2012. We didn't have a special view room (are fridges still there?), but the resort is nice, pool was good, buses were ok I guess, we were close to a bus stop. We liked the boat to Downtown Disney too.

Now my boys will be 13 and 9, and we are a bit more familiar so I was thinking of trying another resort. I start looking into other moderates, but I keep going back to POR. I really wish I could find 200-300 a night prices for Polynesian. :)

Anything new I should consider, or something that has changed, that may sway me? Or is there a discount I should look for to book Poly?

We plan to do Magic Kingdom and Epcot with 2 days each, Hollywood and Animal Kingdom will each have a day. We also are planning one park to park day at Universal and IOA. The whole stay will be in a WDW resort. About 10 days.
pixiedust:

Just stayed there in Late Feb/March in the Alligator Bayou Yes the fridges are still there.

I have stayed at all of the moderates and they are about the same, each wonderfully subtly themed all spread out with multiple pools and bus stops each with same room sizes. CBR just had all of the rooms redone and all have Queen beds, which is nice.

Coronado just redid their food court area, I heard it is nice. I would book out a moderate and then see if Poly goes into a deep discount and you can switch.

In between the Moderate price and the Deluxe price are the suites at AoA, they are really nice and your bedroom would have a door and they have 2 bathrooms, 2 TV's, plus each boy would get his own bed (murphy bed folds down from the dining room table and the couch in the living room is a pull out bed). In addition to the fridge you get a microwave and small sink, the extra room is really nice and did I mention that your bedroom will have a DOOR! PRIVACY!!

We are planning our 2nd trip to WDW for Oct 2016. Our first visit we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and we really liked it in Spring 2012. We didn't have a special view room (are fridges still there?), but the resort is nice, pool was good, buses were ok I guess, we were close to a bus stop. We liked the boat to Downtown Disney too.

Now my boys will be 13 and 9, and we are a bit more familiar so I was thinking of trying another resort. I start looking into other moderates, but I keep going back to POR. I really wish I could find 200-300 a night prices for Polynesian. :)

Anything new I should consider, or something that has changed, that may sway me? Or is there a discount I should look for to book Poly?

We plan to do Magic Kingdom and Epcot with 2 days each, Hollywood and Animal Kingdom will each have a day. We also are planning one park to park day at Universal and IOA. The whole stay will be in a WDW resort. About 10 days.
pixiedust:
The first question, obviously, is what does the budget allow for? If you want to spend 200-300 per night for the Poly, you might be able squeeze in a discount room at either WL or AKL for close to that. You could also stay at the FW Cabins, which the boys might enjoy as there is so much "outdoor" stuff to do. There is nothing wrong with staying at the same place twice, however, I like exploring. You probably realize that each of the classes are about the same within themselves. So, a mod is a mod and a deluxe is a deluxe. But, some people consider their favorite mod as a "lite" deluxe. Transportation is pretty much a moot point, if you have been at POR, you know about the multiple bus stops, CBR has "horrors" even more bus stops. If you liked the boat to DTD and you liked POR, maybe look at POFQ?

Tom

I'd suggest trying business class at CSR. You won't have a boat like at POR, but I think your boys will love the Dig Site.

you could also consider renting points for a DVC stay. We typically do that and have had awesome stays at many resorts for the price of a moderate as a result.

you could also consider renting points for a DVC stay. We typically do that and have had awesome stays at many resorts for the price of a moderate as a result.

Interesting. I didn't even know about this, so reading about it on Mousesavers and David's Vacation Club rentals. Thank you for the tip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter