• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planning off-site, but second guessing

IWannaBeAMousketeer

Mouseketeer
I've searched and read the threads and I felt confident in my off-site choice (Sabal Palms at the Marriott World Center). After talking to my on-site staying neighbor and reading the guidebooks, I am startig to second guess my choice. :headache:
Here was my case for off-site:
I chose Sabal Palms because it was less than 10 minutes from all of the park parking lots. We are using Marriott Rewards points so the stay will be free.
I purchased a AAA Diamond Parking Pass so I would get prime parking location at the parks.
At Sabal Palms my car would be really close to my unit so we wouldn't be wasting 10 minutes just getting in the car.
We would have a 2 bed, 2 bath condo with W/D and have a quick walk to the feature pool at the Marriott World Center.

Enter my neighbor saying things like, "Everyone I've talked to who stays off-site doesn't want to return to the parks after their mid-day break...too much hassle." "The Disney Transporation is great and you don't ever have to worry about how to get where you are going." Plus, all the guidebooks and pro on-site threads talk about this "magic" that you miss off-site.

My experience with the Disney buses included a 60+ minute gate to door trip from AK to the Poly. That was a hassle! To me, using Disney Transport might make me re-think an evening return to the parks.

Anyway, is driving around the World really that complicated and stressful? Will I really want to stay at my off-site resort rather than head back to the parks for the evening when planned?
"Magic" will end up doubling or tripling my budget.:confused3

From a close-by location (like Sabal Palms) getting back and forth is not much more difficult than doing so internally if you are driving in both cases.

I almost never take Disney buses onsite, unless I'm planning on a second glass of wine with dinner (or a margarita in World Showcase---those things have a kick!) I've had *two* trips from Old Key West to Magic Kingdom that took more than an hour from the time I arrived at the bus stop to the time the bus pulled into the MK bus depot. I'm never doing that again.

I find driving to be less stressful than the bus system, because I'm always wondering when the bus will come, but find driving to be relatively simple especially with a GPS. Others find the buses less stressful---this is a personal preference issue.

The "magic" is also a personal preference issue. My family has not found onsite vs. off to be hugely different in terms of our overall vacations. Onsite is a little nicer, but it's not thousands of dollars nicer. And, if you want a 2BR onsite, you're talking thousands of dollars for a week, no matter what. But, other people do find it thousands of dollars nicer.

I would stay with the plan. Worst case you tried it with points and you will find out if you like it. For our family the Magic is about being in WDW and then having a big villa to relax in. The only time I think it is worth the premium are peak holiday weeks when you can really take advantage of EMH and hit the parks early.

If you can drive in Chicago, WDW is a piece of cake. We always go back after a break at the condo. The only issue with the parks is MK because of the 2 step process. We usually don't return to MK, but hop somewhere else or stay for the whole day.

With AAA parking you will be at the gate in Epcot from Sabal Palms faster than any Disney transport except a monorail resort and you won't have to wait for the bus when it closes :goodvibes

Just back, see my post Or my blog about WH. Driving is a breeze. Felt sooo much faster. You wait for nothing. Just walk out and go. Plus coming home is nice in the middle of the day, not so stinky! I loved having a car there!!

Don't let the onsite kool aid drinkers change your mind. You can get to and from the parks faster in your own car, than waiting for a Disney bus.

If it's the Disney theming you are going for, then stay onsite, but if you are looking for great transportation, a Disney bus is not the answer.

I've searched and read the threads and I felt confident in my off-site choice (Sabal Palms at the Marriott World Center). After talking to my on-site staying neighbor and reading the guidebooks, I am startig to second guess my choice. :headache:
Here was my case for off-site:
I chose Sabal Palms because it was less than 10 minutes from all of the park parking lots. We are using Marriott Rewards points so the stay will be free.
I purchased a AAA Diamond Parking Pass so I would get prime parking location at the parks.
At Sabal Palms my car would be really close to my unit so we wouldn't be wasting 10 minutes just getting in the car.
We would have a 2 bed, 2 bath condo with W/D and have a quick walk to the feature pool at the Marriott World Center.

Enter my neighbor saying things like, "Everyone I've talked to who stays off-site doesn't want to return to the parks after their mid-day break...too much hassle." "The Disney Transporation is great and you don't ever have to worry about how to get where you are going." Plus, all the guidebooks and pro on-site threads talk about this "magic" that you miss off-site.

My experience with the Disney buses included a 60+ minute gate to door trip from AK to the Poly. That was a hassle! To me, using Disney Transport might make me re-think an evening return to the parks.

Anyway, is driving around the World really that complicated and stressful? Will I really want to stay at my off-site resort rather than head back to the parks for the evening when planned?
"Magic" will end up doubling or tripling my budget.:confused3

Don't listen to your friend. Your plan is excellent.

Ask your friend how he/she gets to another resort utilizing the Disney resort busses? I bet it takes them at least an hour when it should only take 5 minutes in a car.

I would say that there is nothing more "magical" then getting a free hotel stay!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

We just finished our first onsite stay after staying offsite twice. Honestly, even though it was nice to let the busses do the driving after a long day, it was SOO much faster when we had our own car and drove, especially if we left after fireworks.

I much prefer off site as I don't like being cramped into one bedroom with 4 of us, plus it is often quicker to get to the parks from off site than to use onsite buses. In fact when I last stayed onsite, we could see the EPCOT ball at the rear of the hotel, but we were told the bus would take 45 mins to get there. We had a rental car and just drove to the park in minutes.

To me, the magic is what you make it. I love seeing the Mickey signs as we drive onto property. I love being able to go home and relax. We usually stay in a pool home, so we can get a drink and sit by the pool with ease.

My typical plan for the parks is to get there for opening (make sure there is no EMH that morning). Bear in mind, we are on the West Coast, so getting up for opening time is not easy, but sooo worth it. IMHO that is the best time of the day to start at the parks. It is less crowded and you can get on the rides, collect fastpasses for later in the day. Spend the day at the parks and when it gets too busy or we are too tired, we go 'home' and relax before going out to dinner. If we choose, we can dine in a restaurant at one of the hotels on Disney property or in one of the many restaurants outside (and at a much cheaper price!). That plan works even at the busiest times of the year. We spent the Easter week there one year. By 3pm the parks were packed. We had done everything we wanted to do and left and enjoyed the rest of the day without getting stressed with crowds.

I recommend you stay with your plan. After your stay, you can decide if you prefer off site or on site accommodations.

-Kay

We often don't go back to the parks after we leave for off-site. The kids and adults like dinner out or poolside and then like hanging at the hotel pool. It would not be any hassel to go back-just our personal preference! It is a much more relaxing vacation this way and we can always make rope drop!
A free hotel is awesome! I wouldn't pass it up.

I've done both and off site trip and an on site trip. I much preferred the off site location. We were in a nicer hotel for the same price as a Disney value and had the option to drive or take the hotel shuttle. I actually enjoyed getting off Disney property and seeing some of the rest of Orlando. The food choices are great and relatively inexpensive compared to Disney restaurants.

Thanks for the post and replies. We were thinking of making this year our year to stay at a Disney resort, but I think we've decided to stay off-site. We will get a timeshare resort for practically free, and it is so much bigger and nicer than the Disney moderate rooms we would have stayed at. We've stayed off-site before, and have always enjoyed the non-Disney breaks. Plus, we make a few meals and save a few bucks that way.

Anyway, thanks for reassuring me of our decision to stay off-site again!

...Anyway, is driving around the World really that complicated and stressful? Will I really want to stay at my off-site resort rather than head back to the parks for the evening when planned?

No, it's not complicated nor stressful. Plenty of signs that clearly direct you to each park. When returning, follow signs to Airport via SR 417 (Central Florida GreeneWay) which will lead you past MOWC and Sabal Palms.

Even when we are staying onsite, we often just drive to the park to save time. (The only exception might be MK as you need to take a tram AND monorail or ferry to the entrance.)

Mid-day breaks and returning in the evening isn't difficult. Just be sure to keep your parking receipt, it is good all day and good at every park.

You will enjoy Sabal Palms, the location is great and the price is right.

HTH, Steve

We've stayed at Sabal Palms twice.

Both times we returned to the hotel for a mid-day break from MK (with small children) and had NO problems. It was an easy, wonderful, quiet oasis!

It's very close, and you also never have to wait for an elevator...
Have fun!

My family of six (DW 33, DS8, DD6, DD4 and DS1) have driven to WDW the last five times from the Chicago area, and have stayed both on-site and off-site. Even when we stay on-site, we never take the Disney transportation. We prefer having the convenience of going to and leaving the parks whenever we feel like it. Using our minivan is quicker than the Disney transportation (unless, of course, you are staying at either GF, Poly or Contemporary and going to MK).

As for staying off-site, most of the off-site resorts are within a 5-10 minute drive, even with traffic. And as another poster stated, you make your own magic. The only reason we ever stay on-site, is if we want to partake in the dining plan. Otherwise, we prefer the off-site accomodations for getting more bang for your buck.

I say forget your neighbor and do the drive. We love it and are looking forward to doing the drive again in July. My friends think I'm nuts, but I look forward to hitting the road every time we go to WDW. I don't think we'll ever fly out there any time soon (until my kids grow up, leave our home, and my wife and I are by ourselves).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter