Planning help ! Early flight after cruise possible ?

briandclement

Earning My Ears
I am planning my Disney cruise as well as my after-cruise. I want to go to New York and I was wondering if trying to be the first to leave the ship it would be possible to catch a flight at 10.55 from MCO having a private transfers ?
Has anyone ever tried that ? I am not used to flying so I am probably underestimating the time check-in and security take....

It is possible. We have often left the ship after late breakfast and still been to the airport before 10. With a flight that early and having to do check-in at the airport, I would plan to be one of the first people off the ship. Security lines at MCO can be as long as a couple of hours but the last few times we have left after a cruise, we have only had to wait 20-25 minutes. (We usually do onboard airline check-in so we don't have to go to the check-in counter at the airport. So not knowing who you are flying, can't give you any tips on check-in.)

Typically the ship clears customs around 7:30-8:00 AM and passengers can disembark any time after that. If I was trying to make a 10:55 flight, I would get breakfast early in Cabanas and be waiting in the atrium for customs clearance. Be one of the first off, I might even carry my own luggage off to reduce delays in locating it in the baggage hall, or do onboard check-in for your flight, and then you don't have to collect luggage at the port. You should be able to get through customs with little or no line, and be on the way by 8:15-8:30. 40-45 minutes to the airport puts you there by 9:00-9:15. That should leave plenty of time to get through security and to your gate. It is doable, just plan ahead to get off the ship ASAP following customs clearance, and plan to be ready to move quickly once you get to the airport.

They might not let you do onboard check-in for a flight that early, so be ready for that possibility.

Thanks for your answers that will help me figure things out !!! I thought it was doable even though it will involve stress !!

We have made an 11:00 flight before, we have a quick breakfast at Cabanas and then leave the ship as soon as possible.

In the fall, I decided to take a later flight home (2:30) and we had a more leisurely breakfast and had the car service pick us up at 9:00ish. As we were nearing the airport, I realized how much time we had to kill there. So, we were luckily able to go standby on the early flight, and we made it! Now, we did have to pretty much run from checking our bags at the JetBlue counter to the gate, but we made it in time, and even got the extra leg room seats for no extra charge! We were in our driveway at the time that we would have just been taking off from MCO.

I know now to book that earlier flight as I'd rather be at home than sitting around the airport for hours.

or do onboard check-in for your flight, and then you don't have to collect luggage at the port.

They might not let you do onboard check-in for a flight that early, so be ready for that possibility.

Flights have to leave after 11:25 to be eligible for onboard airline check-in so that would not be an option.

Our first Disney cruise, We booked air through Disney. They booked us on an 11:35 flight. Without rushing, we were at the airport at 9:30. As other posters have said, security through MCO can get very busy, but I think you will be fine.

I don't know if this matters but I noticed you are not a US citizen, will that hold things up at all? Is getting off the ship any different for a non citizen? How about security at MCO? I would assume since you are already in the US you won't need to go through customs at MCO, but thought I'd bring it up just in case.

After my 2/10...4 night cruise I was able to catch an 11:05 flight on southwest. We switched to early breakfast and when we finished we walked right off the ship. We had a private car service pick us up at 8:00am and where at the airport through customs and at the gate by 9:30 the latest.

I don't recall having problems going through customs last year. I don't really remember much about that part as we were going to take Disney transportation to WDW... I mainly take the train in France and have only been on a plane a few times.
I still haven't booked anything yet, I know september is a bit low for tourism so I'm hoping it won't be too busy. I' trying to find a way to make the most out of our day as it takes about 3h to get to nyc and.then have like an hour of transfer which can easily take out the whole day. But I guess we'll do whats wiser as we can't afford to fail haha !!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter