Planning Help/Advice - 3 or 4 day Bahamas Cruise + Land/Sea Vacation

hurleysweety

DIS Veteran
Newbies to DCL and cruising. Posted on this forum before for advice about cruises that were very hopeful. This is a little more concrete since we already have airfare booked (thanks to the 50% off Southwest sale!!)

That said, we have a dilemma now. We could only get the deal on certain dates, and they are Oct 31-Nov 6. The 3 day leaves on Nov 1 and the 4 day leaves on Nov 4. The 7 day Fantasy is out of budget, since we want to see WDW and F&W too.

Three Options (so far)

--If we do the 3 day, we will have to find somewhere to stay the night of Oct 31 - we get in at 5:30. DH suggested the Halloween party, but I think we'd be too tired? :confused3 On the first, we'd leave on our cruise, and then return on Sunday to WDW. We'd spend the night of the 4th and 5th in an on-site hotel and then leave on Tuesday.

--If we do the 4 day, we would book a WDW hotel for the night of the 31, 1 , 2, and 3rd. On the 4th we would leave on our cruise and then return to WDW, for the night of the 8th (due to increase airfare on the 8th). So we would use an additional day in the park on the 8th and then leave on the 9th. Is that totally unrealistic?

--Or, we can do the 3 day cruise, like in the first option, but extend our trip to the 9th, like in the second option, and spend the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th in WDW and fly home the 9th.

And with all that said, is 3 days long enough? I have a feeling I could do a 10 day and be totally content. But since I've spent a year convincing DH that a DCL cruise would be awesome, he has agreed to 3 or 4 days. But now we wonder if 3 days is enough? And will that 4 day be too much that we'll wish we were back at WDW?

As for price, we are looking at either a verandah or oceanview, with preference being the verandah for me, but keeping our budget in mind. However, DH is mostly concerned about space. So the $$ difference between the 3 and 4 day is around $300-500.

Info about Us:

1. Just me and DH traveling, late 20s.
2. Been to WDW 4 times in the last 4 years we've been married.
3. Been to DLR a lot more since its driving distance - so yes, we Disney people, all the way!
4. We both loving dining out and new cuisine, but are not drinkers - I'll enjoy wine or a cocktail every once and awhile. We went to F&W last year and LOVED every moment - even without booking any events.
5. We know nothing about cruising and are hoping for your help!

Thanks so much for your time!! :goodvibes

I think three day is just too rushed. Four day is ok and I'd recommend that for the first time regardless. We like the five days for a quick getaway (just booked on for next friday actually....) because they go to castaway twice. We have done 3 days in a pinch but like I said...it really seems rushed. Since we started cruising, we haven't been back to WDW at all and kids have no desire to go to the parks. We're right there with them. After being pampered for a few days in perfect weather....the parks seem like a nightmare to me.

If you don't want to change your plane ticket, I'd do option 1. A 3 day cruise is really short, but will convince your DH that you need to do a 7 day cruise next time.

You will be off the ship by 9am and in the park by 11am, so you will have two full days to do Disney. I wouldn't do the Halloween party on Oct 31st because you're getting in late. You probably won't get to your hotel until about 7:30pm and then you still need to get to the park. If you're staying on site that's less of an issue than if you're staying off. Check to see how late each park is open. Unfortunately, MK will probably be open the latest.

Definitely the 4-day. Even a week-long cruise is too short for us. (We've sailed on two Disney cruises that were 15 days long, and that's just about right.)

Since you'll be arriving at WDW tired and you'd miss the beginning of a very crowded halloween party, I would skip it. We'd love to do the halloween party someday, but in Sept or early Oct when it's less crowded. hopefully.

Thanks for your advice guys. Currently we are leaning towards the 3 day and then I saw your opinions on here.

Will we really feel that rushed? I know we won't have any "at sea" days, but since its just the two of us, I feel like we'll get a lot of the adult oriented activities in, and then some. And then have a whole week at WDW and the Orlando area...I know, to each their own. But is the 4 day gonna make that big of a difference?

Took 1st Disney cruise at age 26 - it was a 3-night on the Wonder with DH (as part of our honeymoon) - yes, you will feel rushed. We loved it, but it was a whirlwind. If you have the choice, I'd definitely do a 4-day. (If there was a choice between a 3-day and nothing, absolutely I'd do it).

We were two broke kids back then & stayed inside - on a 3-day, it wasn't bad; it was very dark LOL. If you do a 3-day, room choice is no big deal because you won't be in it much. On the 4-day, if you can swing it, go verandah - it's nice to enjoy the verandah on your sea day & in the mornings/evenings.

In summary, I vote 4-day for sure ;)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm just going to say: Do the four night cruise. That way you can have an at sea day.

Took 1st Disney cruise at age 26 - it was a 3-night on the Wonder with DH (as part of our honeymoon) - yes, you will feel rushed. We loved it, but it was a whirlwind. If you have the choice, I'd definitely do a 4-day. (If there was a choice between a 3-day and nothing, absolutely I'd do it).

We were two broke kids back then & stayed inside - on a 3-day, it wasn't bad; it was very dark LOL. If you do a 3-day, room choice is no big deal because you won't be in it much. On the 4-day, if you can swing it, go verandah - it's nice to enjoy the verandah on your sea day & in the mornings/evenings.

In summary, I vote 4-day for sure ;)

Thanks! Considering airfare, WDW resort, tix, and food, I feel like the 3 day makes more sense. But with the 4 day cruise, the way the dates fall, we would get free dining...might go ask another thread for more specific planning advice.

Appreciate everyone's input. In my perfect world, we arrive on Oct 27, stay in WDW until the 4th and leave on the Fantasy for 7 night eastern. But like you said, Silverfox - if its 3 day or nothing do the 3 day!

I would recommend the 4 night cruise. We did a 3 night for our first trip and we really didn't feel like we had much time there at all.

Day 1: Embark on the ship and the ship sails out around 5 PM. You really have 1/2 a day on the ship
Day 2: Nassau - we stayed on the ship
Day 3: Castaway Cay - this is a great day, but then you are already having to pack all your stuff to put outside your room for this night
Day 4: You are off the ship at 9 AM

Would a 7 night be in the budget if you didn't do WDW and F&W? I never thought I could go to Orlando and not go to the parks. So our first trip was 5 nights at the park followed by a 3 night cruise. Once we were on the cruise, I wished we had done a longer one.

Our kids would now rather cruise than do the parks as well (they are almost 11). We still love the parks, but we all love the relaxing atmosphere of the cruises much more. It's all the Disney service, shows, and atmosphere, but without walking around all the parks!

The 4 night also has you at WDW before the cruise. I highly recommend this. You will be so relaxed after you are on the cruise that going back to the park craziness may be difficult. Just my 2 cents....

We applied for our passports today! :cool1: Also think I'm leaning towards the 4 day because it means we can take advantage of free dining! Just a tiny bit worried about the cost of it all. Gotta crunch more numbers.

I wish we could do a 7 day - but we loved F&W way too much last year. We're huge foodies, and we usually go to DLR and WDW with the mindset "we're here for the food" and find ourselves saying it a lot. Pretty sure the DCL menus is is the reason DH started considering cruising in the first place. haha!

I'll let you know when we have booked!

hurleysweety said:
We applied for our passports today! :cool1: Also think I'm leaning towards the 4 day because it means we can take advantage of free dining! Just a tiny bit worried about the cost of it all. Gotta crunch more numbers.

I wish we could do a 7 day - but we loved F&W way too much last year. We're huge foodies, and we usually go to DLR and WDW with the mindset "we're here for the food" and find ourselves saying it a lot. Pretty sure the DCL menus is is the reason DH started considering cruising in the first place. haha!

I'll let you know when we have booked!

Sounds like you need to move to the area ;) Then you could make day trips or weekend trips to WDW & go on 7-night cruises 8)

Sounds like you need to move to the area ;) Then you could make day trips or weekend trips to WDW & go on 7-night cruises 8)

HAHAHA - don't tempt us! Every single time either of us have a bad day at work, it ends with, "wanna move to florida?" :rotfl2:

hurleysweety said:
HAHAHA - don't tempt us! Every single time either of us have a bad day at work, it ends with, "wanna move to florida?" :rotfl2:

You totally should :) We got married at WDW in 2005, had DD 3/2007, and moved to Tampa 5 weeks later (from Ohio) in 4/2007. There's FL resident discounts, close proximity to WDW, Gulf beaches, Port Canaveral, etc. We chose Tampa because it's a young city :)

Anyways, I did want to be close to WDW, but mostly didn't want to lay eyes on snow again (except the fake snow in Celebration LOL).

We've never looked back once ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter