Planning first trip to WDW

disneylover2005

Mouseketeer
Hello all!

I'm not sure if this the right forum to post this so sorry if it isn't....

I'm currently planning our first trip to WDW!!! YAY! We have been to Disneyland many times but never Disney World. There is 4 of us going, two adults and 2 kids. So I do have some questions...

1) Should we book through Disney website? Benefit's with doing so? (with Disneyland we don't, we stay across the street)

2)When is the best time to go? We are looking for Feb-March 2014 (some where in between).

3)What are somethings we should know since I am sure that Disney World and Disneyland are going to be total opposite on how we are use to things.

That is all I can think of right now! Any help or suggestions will be appreciated!

I just booked my first trip! I did try a bunch of different travel sites, but they all gave me the exact same price! We finally just did it thru the Disney site!

Hello all!

1) Should we book through Disney website? Benefit's with doing so? (with Disneyland we don't, we stay across the street)

WDW has a much wider variety of resort options than DLR. At DLR, all Disney resorts are fairly expensive compared to places just as close. WDW has Value resorts which can be competitive. Offsite resorts are still often cheaper but there are benefits to staying onsite that help offset the price difference. We have always stayed onsite. I have looked at some of the discount hotel sites but have personally never seen a deal that differed from what the Disney site has. If you have AAA, you have to call for a room.

If you want the Disney Dining Plan, then you will need to book through Disney or a Travel Agent that will book with Disney for you. The travel agent can be a benefit for first time visitors.

We usually do not get a package:

First, there are authorized ticket resellers that sell real tickets at a slight discount. That discount will vary by the number of days and options you choose. Our savings are generally in the $20 range for an adult five day park hopper ticket. This site recommends Maple Leaf Tickets. We have used Undercover Tourist a few times with no issues. Watch for whether tickets are quoted with tax and shipping or not.

Second, a package has to be paid in full 45 days prior to arrival date. There are fees for changing the package after the 45 day mark. Room only reservations require the first night fee up front. The room can be cancelled with full refund either five or six days before arrival date.

Third, the Dining Plan has not been a deal for us for awhile. With the added savings and flexibility, we book room only and buy tickets somewhere else.

2)When is the best time to go? We are looking for Feb-March 2014 (some where in between).

I would look at the first full week on March based on that range. That will be a lighter crowd level. There is a chance hours will be shorter a little shorter then. Orlando can be cool to cold at those times or can still be quite warm. I prefer warmer weather and there is a better chance of that in March.

3)What are somethings we should know since I am sure that Disney World and Disneyland are going to be total opposite on how we are use to things.

WDW is huge compared to DLR. You can walk between Epcot and DHS for example, but the distance is significantly more than that between DL and DCA. There is not really an opportunity to walk between the MK and any other park or DAK and any other park. When we visited DLR, our hotel, offsite, was closer to the parks than Epcot and DHS are from each other. I went back to the room at sunset just to get jackets and we popped between the two parks without much thought. Park hopping at WDW takes a bit more time and planning. Don't let that discourage you. We hop almost everyday on a trip and always have a day or two of three parks.

ADRs - unlike DLR sit down dining is a big thing. Many of the in demand (Be Our Guest is the current hot place) restaurants book up early. The policy is that ADRs can be made 180 days prior to that date. If staying on site you can start booking ADRs 180 days prior to the day of your arrival for the first ten days of your trip.

In the same vein, if you are looking at a DTD restaurant, try booking directly with the restaurant. They reserve a large portion of the ADRs for locals who do not book that far in advance.

Not only are the distance between parks larger, the distances within the parks are longer. The land was cheaper and the Imagineers took advantage of the availability of the land. Even though DL has more attractions, the MK is about 25% bigger than DL. Epcot is over three times as large.

That is all I can think of right now! Any help or suggestions will be appreciated!

k

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter