Planning days around EMH w/ no hopper-help!

Minnie M6

DIS Veteran
My Mom and I are taking my kids to WDW for the first time in December (DH has to have knee surgery and won't be able to hang with all the walking), and I am totally confused about the Extra magic hours. They aren't posted yet for December, but I want to go ahead and make plans for what we want to do at each park including meals, and then we can plug in which day for which park once we know the EMH schedule. I am so ready to use my spreadsheet ;)

What I'm confused about is this: I thought one of the benefits of staying on site was that you get to stay for the EMH, but I have seen posts where people talk about avoiding parks on the day that they offer EMH. Is it ridiculously crowded on EMH days? I am hoping that since we're going in early December (12/7-12/14) the crowds won't be horrendous anyway. We are trying to avoid adding the hopper option. I'm thinking if we plan well we can schedule ADRs based on which park we will be in on what day. Same for fireworks/ special events.

I'm considering Tour Guide Mike to figure all this out- it hurts my head :headache:

What do you guys recommend?

I'm not an expert by any means, but the way I'm understanding it after spending a lot of times on these boards is that the best option is to do the early EMH and stay in that park until it gets really busy and then hop to a new one. Or spend the day in a non-EMH park and then hop to an EMH at night. I wasn't planning on getting the park-hoppers, but if you buy through undercover tourist you can save a good amount anyway on the tickets so it works out alright.

I would definately NOT plan on doing EMH if you do not have parkhoppers. Early December is still fairly busy and the EMH parks will be crowded. We only do EMH in the morning and then park hop by late morning. If you decide not to get parkhoppers, I would got to the park that had EMH the day BEFORE.

Yes, It is extra crowded on EMH days!!
We made the mistake of going to DHS (MGM) on EMH day
and it was packed (this was in Value Season).
We purchased Hopper Passes this time but it's so hard because
I try to plan a day with ADRs around the park that we are planning to eat at.
This is our 1st time for HOppers for us and hopeing they will be worth
the extra money.
I think if you didn't go to a park with EMH you will still have so
much to do that you will be exhausted by the time the park closes, so
make sure that you pace yourself (especially with your DM--rent a hoverround wheelchair).

Thanks for the responses- I think I'm getting it worked out. I am very visual and have to get things down on paper before they make sense to me. I checked out the crowd calenders which tell you what park to avoid on what day, and I've started a preliminary plan! So exciting :banana:

I am trying to plan ADRs around the park we will be at that day. I am assuming that you don't have to be at any certain park to eat at one of the resorts? I would like to have breakfast at Kona Cafe on our Epcot day. Other than the resort restaurants, I'm matching the ADRs with the park so we don't have to add hoppers. I don't think we'll be ready for hopping yet- total novices :upsidedow

I am trying to plan ADRs around the park we will be at that day. I am assuming that you don't have to be at any certain park to eat at one of the resorts? I would like to have breakfast at Kona Cafe on our Epcot day. Other than the resort restaurants, I'm matching the ADRs with the park so we don't have to add hoppers. I don't think we'll be ready for hopping yet- total novices :upsidedow

I did this also. We are not doing the park hoppers so I planned meals based on the park of the day. I did have to switch the days I wanted for AK and MGM because an ADR was not available. I had no idea what EMHs were when I made the ADRs but as it turns out we will be at the park on the day they have EMHs.

From what I have read that it's better for people who are NOT on property to avoid a certain park when they have EMHs but I could be wrong. When it starts to get too crowded we might head back to the resort for a rest/swim.

We always go to the parks for EMH and stay from opening to close. I know a lot of people avoid it due to it being more crowded but I don't really notice it being more crowded. Maybe that's just me? :confused3 I guess it probably depends on the time of the year you go too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter