Planning cruise. Should we put cost toward DVC purchase?

.snow.white.

Earning My Ears
If we're paying cash in full for a cruise, does it make sense to use the total cost of the cruise as a down payment toward a DVC membership for future travel? We've considered DVC in the past. We are going on the cruise in June. Just about to pull the trigger on a reservation and wondered if it made sense to put that money toward dvc and book as a member. Thanks in advance.

No. Cruising is extremely expensive in terms of points, and requires purchasing direct. Don't buy DVC to cruise. Ever.

Yes, if I read it correctly you are going on a cruise you want to cancel to buy Dvc instead of the cruise.

We just canceled a cruise on Ncl escape to add at poly

Only if you save money booking through DVC, you like the DVC resorts, you don't mind the negatives of the DVC, and you buy a contract at your favorite DVC resort after you decide where that is.

:earsboy: Bill

Take a look at this thread:

Using Points for the DVC "Collections"

Some things to consider as you make your decision -

Using DVC points to cruise is a club perk. The option could be discontinued at any time at DVC's sole discretion. (I do not think they will discontinue the option, but they could).

Unlike using points for a DVC resort stay, there is no "inflation protection" built into the non-DVC options. The points required to cruise can (and actually mostly have) gone up every year.

If DVC is right for your family, buy only the points you think you will need for DVC resort stays. IMO, that's the best economical value. Pay cash for your cruises.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter