Planning Baby's First WDW Trip... Before She's Arrived! * TRIP REPORT LINK 6/27 *

cbcrockett

Mouseketeer
Traditionally, I'm a lurker. I post occasionally, but, obviously, not very much. Here's to trying to change all of that!

So, to start off, a little bit about me, the cast of characters, and how this planning is going down!

I'm Brittany. 27 years old and 31 (long) weeks pregnant with our first child! We're expecting our first little Minnie (a/k/a Hannah) on or about September 4th. Yup... I'm taking labor day very literally this year!

I've been a Disney lover since I was a wee one, though my love multiplied exponentially back in 2008, as DH and I were planning our first trip to the World together. My favorite Disney movie: Beauty and the Beast. Belle and I have been tight since her release back in 1991.

DH, Clay, is 29 years old. He's a true Disney fan now, after 9 years with me. :yay: After our 2009 trip to WDW together, he was completely hooked. I'm going to have to check on his favorite Disney movie. I have a feeling he'll surprise me with his answer, so I don't want to answer for him.

We met in college, have been together since 2002 and were married in 2006. Hard to believe it's already been 5 years!

DD, Hannah, is, well... not here yet. Give us approximately 9 more weeks of incubating and I'll let y'all know a bit more about her. ;) Obviously, she'll love Beauty and the Beast too, even if by force.

DS, Cindy, is my 17 year old little sister. She's about to start her senior year in high school and, thankfully, gives me an outlet for all things Disney. She's a great kid, thought I don't know that I can really call her a kid anymore! Her favorite Disney movie is POTC. She loves 'em all. She's also a big fan of Belle (probably because of older sis here) and Cinderella (and how can she not be, since it IS Cindy's castle!).

And the "why" of the trip. Well, #1, I haven't been to the World since the fall of 2009, when I went for a long weekend with DS, our mom and her dad (my step-dad). It's time. #2, DD needs to be immersed with Disney early. While it may be a little tough having a 6-9 month old there with us (we haven't decided on our dates yet), I think it will be worth it to see her experience it. And, #3, we will actually be surprising DS with the trip for her high school graduation! I've already been working on this with my mom for a month or so, and she's on board. More to come on the details of the surprise later!

We're looking at going in March (with DS's spring break) or in early June (after her graduation). We'll probably be making that decision come August, when we can actually look at booking. Most likely in a moderate resort (though camping @ the Fort could be a possibility).

So, that's the beginning! I'm looking forward to this planning process, as at least for the next two months, it'll give me something to occupy my racing mind besides being HOT and pregnant!

So :welcome: , Happy 4th of July! party:, and here's hoping DS doesn't discover this PTR!

(P.S. Apparently, I lurk too much and don't post enough... pictures of everyone to come in a few posts :headache:)

I'm antsy to get pictures up and really get rolling, so I'm hoping to knock out a few more posts!

The When:

Originally, I was hoping that sometime in April 2012 would work for us. DH and I were in the World in April 2009 and it was perfect. Crowds were generally light and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. I think the longest we waited in any line was 10-15 minutes. It rained for about 10 minutes one afternoon, but it was during our nap time and we still headed out the pool right after the shower and it was sunny and 80! Also, this will put DD at about 7 months, which I feel is a good time to take her.

However, since we are surprising DS (sister that is) with this trip, we should probably pick a time she can go. :lmao: As much as I'm sure she'd love to get out of school for a week or so before finals, I'm not sure I can convince my mom of that one!

So, it looks like either mid-March 2012 (when DS's spring break is) or early June 2012 (after her graduation). While I know it will be a little cooler in March, I'm really leaning towards June. I think it would be awesome to be at Cindy's high school graduation and give her a box to open there telling her to pack her bag (or finish packing it, because with planners like me and my mom, we'd have most of her stuff ready to go, hah!) because we are leaving for WDW in the morning!

Part of this is going to depend on pricing and what I can make happen. When baby girl arrives in September, I'm not going back to work. While we are good financially on just my husband's income, it's still a little bit different going from 2 incomes to one (and adding a baby to the mix!). If the rates say "go in March", we may be going in March! Hopefully I'll have that ironed out by the time Hannah gets here (as I have a feeling, there might not be too much planning going on during the first few weeks of her life!)

Any thoughts on the March/June debate?

So, it looks like our choices are March

We went to Disney World in early June this year (3rd-15th) and LOVED the timing! It wasn't crowded the first 5-6 days of the trip, so we accomplished most everything we wanted to do then, leaving us time to relax and take it at a slower pace for the last few days. If it's an option, I'd definitely recommend early June! :thumbsup2

It's time to really intro our cast of characters!

april21_crockett_0411.jpg

Me, DH (Clay) and DD (Hannah)... of course DD is in my belly at about 21 weeks here! This is from our "babymoon"/5th Anniversary/vacation beach trip back in April.

CindyMom.jpg

Here is DS (Little sister, Cindy) with our mom at Steeplechase last year. I still can't believe she's going to be a senior in high school this year!

Hi, I'm here!
The title got me because I know that will definitely be me when I'm older and having my first kid. :lmao:
I think your idea of telling your sister at her graduation is awesome! :thumbsup2

Apparently, having a newborn doesn't leave you much time to plan vacations... who knew? :lmao: :rotfl2:

It looks like we're going to end up putting off baby's first WDW trip off until Spring of 2013. I'm not thrilled about it, but I know it's the right move.

My husband just started a new job, which we are THRILLED about! But, it's a temporary pay cut. Overall, he'll be back to where he was within a year or so, and well beyond within a couple of years. And, he's already much happier with what he's doing. So, yay for that!

And, while we could make Disney happen, I think we'd probably both be happier planning a little longer and making the first trip with little one a little less stressful. Plus, we'd definitely have to go during June, after my sister graduated and after my husband was out of tax season. I'm not sure how I feel about taking a 9 month old to Orlando in June! She's a fair skinned little one!

So, this pre-trip report will be a little bit longer than anticipated, but all the more fun for me! To hold you over though, I'll leave you with a picture of the little one, Hannah! She's 4 months old now, and, obviously, the apple of our eye! :lovestruc

006.jpg

Subbing!

I totally understand putting off your trip until next year. I wanted to go when DS was only a few months old too but I'm SO glad we've waited until after he turned a year old. He will be a week shy of 14 months on our trip in a few weeks :goodvibes

Hannah is such a beautiful baby! Congratulations to you and your DH!!

Subbing!

I totally understand putting off your trip until next year. I wanted to go when DS was only a few months old too but I'm SO glad we've waited until after he turned a year old. He will be a week shy of 14 months on our trip in a few weeks :goodvibes

Hannah is such a beautiful baby! Congratulations to you and your DH!!
Welcome!

Thanks so much and I hope y'all have a wonderful time! Just a couple of more weeks... Yay!!!

Last night, I started thinking about and looking around for our 2013 trip! :banana: It's never too early, right!?

Initially, we were thinking about heading back to Fort Wilderness. We camp a lot, and LOVE the Fort. I'd love to have Hannah's first WDW trip be at the Fort! One of the biggest pluses, is the fact that we would have our camper, so everything would be familiar and more homey (which I think would be really good for little one).

However, my husband isn't really thrilled with the idea of pilling the camper from TN to Orlando. And I can't say I blame him. It's a long drive, all interstate, and that is NOT fun pulling a camper behind you! Plus, we won't even talk about the gas mileage (or lack thereof!).

Option 2 is a value resort. I've got my eye on the new Art of Animation!

Option 3 is CBR. I stayed there years ago on my first trip to WDW and I think if we go moderate, it would be the best fit.

But, in talking with the hubby last night, he brought up that his mom has an RCI timeshare that she rarely uses: 3 bedroom timeshare. In a brief look, it looks like we could use it to stay at OKW! She has let us use the timeshare before because most of the time, her weeks/points/whatever she has goes unused.

So, as of now, I'm putting the hubby on alert that he needs to talk to his madre about us using the timeshare for next April or May! I'm hoping we can book OKW within the next few months!:dance3:

I too have been eyeballing the Art of Animation resort! It looks so great! But the time share thing sounds like a really great idea! Have y'all had a chance to discuss this with your MIL yet?

I too have been eyeballing the Art of Animation resort! It looks so great! But the time share thing sounds like a really great idea! Have y'all had a chance to discuss this with your MIL yet?

We haven't had a chance to talk to my MIL about OKW yet. DH has been super stressed about getting everything in line to start sitting for the CPA exam. I figured I best not bring up talking to his mom about that again. Not that I think she'll have a problem with it, just another thing on his plate.

Tell y'all one thing... I'm ready for DH to be done with all the parts to this exam and to celebrate with some Disney!

Well, possibly exciting! The MIL offered us a week of her timeshare before DH even asked about it. Even more exciting, she offered us one for this year and DH said "do you want to reconsider WDW for this year?"

party::jumping1:

I'm fairly certain we all know the answer here! Of course, since we are looking at going the first full week of June 2012, there is nothing available at OKW for that week, but there are a few RCI (the timeshare company) properties that re literally within a stones throw of AK.

I'm squirming with excitement over here! :dance3:

DD is down for her afternoon nap and I hope she takes a good long one today because I've got a lot of research to do. I'm so excited that her first trip could be bumped up by almost a year AND that we may beagle to surprise my little sister with a high school graduation trip after all!

It's number crunching time y'all! Wish me luck! :banana:

So, I've been playing with numbers and whatnot since yesterday. I've got a couple hundred dollars in Disney gift cards that should cover one of our park tickets if we purchase from Disney. Usually, I get them from Undercover Tourist to save a few, but to get one for free... I think I'll pay the extra $30 or so on it!

My mom/stepdad plan to cover my little sister's actual expenses (tickets and food), so we don't have to factor that in.

I totally think Ican make this happen this year! AHHH! :cheer2:

The rain might be coming down in Tennessee, but the sun sure is shining in my house right now, haha!

YAY for a surprise trip! :yay: How awesome that you are going to take your sister AND get to use the Timeshare! :banana:

I am planning my youngest DD's first trip, but she will be 19 months. I think you will be happy to have the bedroom for her, because that's what made my decision for me! Do you use a wrap or ever wear her? Might be a little hot for that in June, but it is still a great way to get my currently 9 month old to take a nap! :rotfl:

YAY for a surprise trip! :yay: How awesome that you are going to take your sister AND get to use the Timeshare! :banana:

I am planning my youngest DD's first trip, but she will be 19 months. I think you will be happy to have the bedroom for her, because that's what made my decision for me! Do you use a wrap or ever wear her? Might be a little hot for that in June, but it is still a great way to get my currently 9 month old to take a nap! :rotfl:

I'm beyond excited about taking my sister. She's been talking about my DD's first WDW trip since the minute she found out I was pregnant. I don't think she ever really expected to get to BE there for it. I just hope I can keep it all under wraps until then!

I do wear DD occasionally. I did more when she was smaller. We've got a Baby Bjorn and a Moby wrap. She's such a squiggly worm these days, I don't know how she'll do. She used to nap well in the wrap, and she'll be right at 9 months when we go. As we get closer, I need to put her back in both when we go on our walks (instead of her stroller, which I know she loves) and see if #1, she likes it and #2, if my back can handle it! Hopefully we can do a combo of at least being able to wear her in lines and whatnot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter