• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planning a week in Disney and then Time in Clearwater, Oil Affecting?

antney79

Earning My Ears
I am worried to finalize my trip right now, going the last two weeks of September. We are planning on staying 3 days in clearwater, I am worried about the oil leak reaching the shores there.

Is it possible? Anyone with info would be greatly appreciated.

We were in Clearwater Beach June 13-15 deep sea fishing. The captain told us that unless there is a hurricaine that blows the oil in, they were not expecting oil to come ashore due to the gulf current. We were 30 miles out and didn't see any oil. He did say that this is impacting their tourism - these are his words - people from out of the area hear "oil in the gulf" and "Florida" and think it is everywhere. We really enjoyed ourselves - I will say, it was a little hot.........

We were in Clearwater Beach June 13-15 deep sea fishing. The captain told us that unless there is a hurricaine that blows the oil in, they were not expecting oil to come ashore due to the gulf current. We were 30 miles out and didn't see any oil. He did say that this is impacting their tourism - these are his words - people from out of the area hear "oil in the gulf" and "Florida" and think it is everywhere. We really enjoyed ourselves - I will say, it was a little hot.........

I agree. We are going to Marco Island mid/late September and we are not worried at all. If you follow NOLA it shows that, like you said, unless there is a really bad hurricane, the oil will not reach because of the gulf current. Unfortunately, many beach areas are lacking business because of the fear of oil. Marco Island, where my girlfriend works, says that reservations are at the lowest in over 15 years for 4th of July weekend and there is NO oil there.

They are saying the oil could go down and around the Keys. But really who knows?
What are your plans? Are you flying round trip from MCO? With tacking on the beach vacay at the end of your trip, you could hedge your bets, and make reservation on both the Gulf as you were planning, and maybe make hotel res. in Cocoa Beach too, on the Atlantic Coast, then cancel one. You should know what's happening with the oil a couple of weeks before you leave.
With tourisim so low on the Gulf, I bet you can get some good hotel deals.

So horrible about that oil spill, ugh.

that is the problem, right now I am flying into Orlando and flying out of Tampa!

Well good to hear about the chances are not good.

Marco Island is the best, got married out there 4 years ago!

I live in Clearwater - PLEASE don't change your plans! We have been unaffected by the oil and local businesses are really trying to get the word out. Some have even started mailing test tubes of sand to people who have cancelled their plans to show them that our beaches are just as beautiful as ever! The oil has impacted the panhandle, but that is 500 miles from here.

Carps
Where do you suggest to stay. Want to be near the beach, on it if I can, heard no hotesl are right on the beach.

I have 3 kids, 3, 2 and 1. Have friends staying near Palm Harbor.

Carps
Where do you suggest to stay. Want to be near the beach, on it if I can, heard no hotesl are right on the beach.

I have 3 kids, 3, 2 and 1. Have friends staying near Palm Harbor.

There was a massive renovation done to Clearwater Beach over the last 2 years (a lot of construction is still going on) and now there are hotels on the beach; however, they may be expensive since there are so few. The Sandpearl is right on the beach and on the north end, which is good if you want to stay away from the teenagers and people milling about.

However, if you want to be able to walk to dinner or to get ice cream or to play mini golf, you'll want to stay on the south end. On that end there is the Holiday Inn and the Travelodge. I'll tell you a local secret though - if you really love just laying out at the beach and playing in the water, drive over to Sand Key right across the bridge from Clearwater Beach. It's a state park and it's much less crowded than Clearwater Beach even though it's only 5 minutes away.

Palm Harbor is about 20-30 minutes from Clearwater Beach.

Hope that helps! :goodvibes

We were in Clearwater area (stayed on Indian Shores beach) at the beginning of the month- it was GREAT!! we found our condo on a site called Home Away vacation Rentals-- it was a privately owned condo building- right on the beach balcony, 1 bathroom, 1 bedroom full kitchen and the living room had a sofa and chair that pulled out (kids slept there) - it was wonderful water was CLEAN, warm, shallow and calm. we went to Pier 60 at Clearwater Beach one evening (ok) but was also did Captain Memo's Pirate Cruise-- tons of fun we do the sunset cruise beautiful, beer, wine soda, champagne included- it was a 2 hr tour they take the kids to the lower deck, paint faces, tell pirate stories, water gun fights,- we also did a dolphin boat ride on a tugboat called "the Little Toot" - it was an amazing ride the dolphins were so close to the boat right on the side you could have touched them (these are both at Clearwater Beach area)
It is a great place we have been there a couple of times now and we always have a great time!

During the month of August before arriving to WDW my family and I will be in Clearwater Beach, however we are not worried about the oil affecting the area and etc.

We are going to disney at the end of August and then staying in Daytona Beach. I was a little worried about the oil but the place that we stayed at last year had an oil free guarantee on their website that would allow you to cancel your reservation without a penalty if there was oil on the beaches. I would think that a lot of places on the gulf coast would be offering something similar, so that you could switch to the other coast at the last minute if there was a problem.

I just got back from Clearwater (Indian Rocks) about an hour ago- beach is absolutely gorgeous!

Don't have any words of advice accept that everything looks good now, but there is no way to predict what hurricane season might bring.

I was so glad to see this thread. I was thinking of going to Clearwater, but wasn't sure. Now I can put the trip back into our plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter