• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planning a May 2017 trip - my head is swimming right now

momof2n2

DIS Veteran
DH and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary in May. We would like to take a short trip to DLP. I know it is very uncool of us, but we really aren't interested in "visiting Europe..." We really want to fly to Paris, spend 5 nights near DLP, and head home. We would likely do a day's worth of excursions in the area.

I have spent the better part of this afternoon reading through threads on this page. I can not begin to thank the authors of the sticky's enough for the time they've put into them. Wow. Thank you.

Some things like hotel reviews are a little on the dated side, which makes perfect sense, but that does leave me with some questions I am hoping some may be able to answer.

I do want off-property, as it looks as though the cost difference is tremendous.
That being said, a nearby hotel with breakfast would be very appealing.

Do any hotels offer shuttle to/from airport as we see here stateside?

We travel often within the US and adore cruising. I have not been overseas in almost 20 years. DH has only just gone to Germany with work this past year. I am nervous about the language barrier regarding transportation and dining once over there.

I welcome any help and suggestions. Thank you for your help!!

Hi, something to keep in mind is that if you do stay on site and book a package, you'll have park tickets for both parks included in the price of your stay. You can book any countries offer on the Disneyland Paris website, change the country at the top of the page. The best deals tend to be UK, France, Germany, Belgium - good savings compared to the US site from what I've heard. If you decide to book, use your own address but keep the country the same, ie if using the France site put your own address in but the country would be France. Nothing is sent by post it's all sent to your email address.

We always use a private taxi shuttle from the airport to our hotel - Ezyshuttle - 70E approx. each way. Otherwise you can either use the bus which I think is called the Magic shuttle ( can take ages as it visits all the on-site hotels) or the TGV which is the train from the airport direct to the park. Marne La Valle station is literally right at the gates of the park. Beside the station is the bus terminus where you an catch a free shuttle to our onsite hotel or some of the associated hotels nearby.

Hope this is of some help :)

Online there is a guide to partner hotels that provide shuttle service or that are a short walk away :)

Most French people speak English so the language barrier shouldn't be an issue.

Travelling from airport to hotel you can pre book using resorthoppa which are quite good

Do also remember you can book partner hotels through Disney and benefit from packages. Do compare the prices of constructing your own package, and when you consider tickets, remember AP is cheap (and gives significant discount to food and merchandising). If you sleep in an official Disney hotel you might even go to the parks on blackout dates (conditions applies for the contractual blackout day of the Francilien AP, in short you need to get it mailed to you; others APs can be bought on-site).

Hi M2n2,

We stayed in Val d'Europe in June 2014 (Hotel l'Elysee) and June 2015 (VRBO apartment rental). Val d'Europe is one train stop over from DLP and is a nice neighborhood with several restaurants, bakeries and tons of shopping at the Val d'Europe mall. The mall is a block away from both places we stayed and includes the Auchan hypermarket. If you want to throw together a meal or just purchase snacks, that place has it all.

Link: http://www.disneylandparis.co.uk/shops/val-deurope-shopping-centre/

The Hotel l'Elysee was comparable to an American mid-tier hotel with a bar and restaurant. They served B,L, and dinner, non of which were included in the price of the rooms. A free neighborhood bus passed right in front of the hotel to/from DLP at roughly 30 minute intervals depending on the time of day (15 minute trip). The hotel is also 1/2 block from the RER-A train station. The RER-A line originates at DLP then travels to the Val d'Europe station (3 minutes) and on into Paris (very convenient, about 25-30 minutes to central Paris). The RER-A line at DLP also shares the station with several TGV (high speed) trains from CDG Airport (and other French cities). You can get to DLP in about 10 minutes from CDG airport non-stop via the TGV. The airport also runs regular buses to Val d'Europe and DLP which takes approximately 30-40 minutes depending on traffic (cost ~$30/per?). I am not aware of any courtesy van to DLP, the distance is approximately 25 miles.

In 2015 we rented a 2 bedroom apartment from Christophe via VRBO. He was great to deal with and speaks English.

Link: https://www.vrbo.com/978866a

We liked the apartment much better (easy decision) for our family of 4 due to the price and amenities. The apartment was on the 5th floor (top floor IIRC) and was 1/2 block from the RER-A station for Val d'Europe too. For the 2015 trip we used the RER-A train back and forth to DLP since we had the weekly Paris passes (Navigo) and didn't use the bus. I can't recall if you had to stay at the hotel in order to use the bus or if it was free for the neighborhood. There are several hotels and VRBO rentals in the area, just try to stay within walking distance of the bus route or RER-A train station.

As far as staying onsite at DLP I felt the rooms were pricey for what you received, $300-$400 for moderate type rooms, $500 plus for the DLP Hotel. Some of the reviews I had read prior to our trip did not impress me (things may have improved). We didn't see the value and chose to stay offsite. Also the euro and pound exchange rates were $1.35 and $1.58 when I originally researched the rooms back in early 2014, so that didn't help either. Most of the websites I looked at were out of the UK and were priced in British Pounds. For park tickets we ended buying AP's (they had 3 levels?) that had a few black out dates, they still ended up costing less than a 4-day pass. We were also able to squeeze in a couple days at DLP in 2015 before the AP's expired.

Visiting DLP was a mixed bag, yes we had a good time but there were some drawbacks. Their version of space mountain was closed both years in addition to a couple other ongoing ride refurbishments (bummer). Cigarette smoking tends to be a constant activity outdoors in the parks (if that bothers you). The Disney CS restaurants were mediocre at best and the higher end restaurants were pricey ($65 per person, again exchange rate) for a family of four. We ended up eating at their version of Downtown Disney (Earl of Sandwich, etc).

The language barrier wasn't a problem at the parks as everyone we encountered spoke English. Even outside the parks in Paris it usually wasn't a problem. We traveled through western and central France with very few language issues (we spoke a little French, enough to be dangerous).

Lastly, I'm not trying to tell you how to run your trip but...... for the love of all things holy, GO INTO PARIS (if you have never been), it's awesome with a capital A! It's made for anniversaries! (Sorry about that, we loved traveling to France and are in the early stages of planning a trip to Europe next summer):)

Enjoy planning your trip, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
JoeATC

Hi, something to keep in mind is that if you do stay on site and book a package, you'll have park tickets for both parks included in the price of your stay. You can book any countries offer on the Disneyland Paris website, change the country at the top of the page. The best deals tend to be UK, France, Germany, Belgium - good savings compared to the US site from what I've heard. If you decide to book, use your own address but keep the country the same, ie if using the France site put your own address in but the country would be France. Nothing is sent by post it's all sent to your email address.

We always use a private taxi shuttle from the airport to our hotel - Ezyshuttle - 70E approx. each way. Otherwise you can either use the bus which I think is called the Magic shuttle ( can take ages as it visits all the on-site hotels) or the TGV which is the train from the airport direct to the park. Marne La Valle station is literally right at the gates of the park. Beside the station is the bus terminus where you an catch a free shuttle to our onsite hotel or some of the associated hotels nearby.

Hope this is of some help :)

I'm simply blown away by the savings available if booking via Irish or English websites vs US.

Is this legit?

Also - the difference makes both Newport & NY affordable for our anniversary. Are either of those markedly nicer than Cheyenne? I realize much is subjective, but are the hotels considerably better appointed?

(FYI I live in western NY. I have rarely ever visited NYC. The fact there is an NYC themed hotel makes me chuckle.)

Hi M2n2,

We stayed in Val d'Europe in June 2014 (Hotel l'Elysee) and June 2015 (VRBO apartment rental). Val d'Europe is one train stop over from DLP and is a nice neighborhood with several restaurants, bakeries and tons of shopping at the Val d'Europe mall. The mall is a block away from both places we stayed and includes the Auchan hypermarket. If you want to throw together a meal or just purchase snacks, that place has it all.

The Hotel l'Elysee was comparable to an American mid-tier hotel with a bar and restaurant. They served B,L, and dinner, non of which were included in the price of the rooms. A free neighborhood bus passed right in front of the hotel to/from DLP at roughly 30 minute intervals depending on the time of day (15 minute trip). The hotel is also 1/2 block from the RER-A train station. The RER-A line originates at DLP then travels to the Val d'Europe station (3 minutes) and on into Paris (very convenient, about 25-30 minutes to central Paris). The RER-A line at DLP also shares the station with several TGV (high speed) trains from CDG Airport (and other French cities). You can get to DLP in about 10 minutes from CDG airport non-stop via the TGV. The airport also runs regular buses to Val d'Europe and DLP which takes approximately 30-40 minutes depending on traffic (cost ~$30/per?). I am not aware of any courtesy van to DLP, the distance is approximately 25 miles.

In 2015 we rented a 2 bedroom apartment from Christophe via VRBO. He was great to deal with and speaks English.

We liked the apartment much better (easy decision) for our family of 4 due to the price and amenities. The apartment was on the 5th floor (top floor IIRC) and was 1/2 block from the RER-A station for Val d'Europe too. For the 2015 trip we used the RER-A train back and forth to DLP since we had the weekly Paris passes (Navigo) and didn't use the bus. I can't recall if you had to stay at the hotel in order to use the bus or if it was free for the neighborhood. There are several hotels and VRBO rentals in the area, just try to stay within walking distance of the bus route or RER-A train station.

As far as staying onsite at DLP I felt the rooms were pricey for what you received, $300-$400 for moderate type rooms, $500 plus for the DLP Hotel. Some of the reviews I had read prior to our trip did not impress me (things may have improved). We didn't see the value and chose to stay offsite. Also the euro and pound exchange rates were $1.35 and $1.58 when I originally researched the rooms back in early 2014, so that didn't help either. Most of the websites I looked at were out of the UK and were priced in British Pounds. For park tickets we ended buying AP's (they had 3 levels?) that had a few black out dates, they still ended up costing less than a 4-day pass. We were also able to squeeze in a couple days at DLP in 2015 before the AP's expired.

Visiting DLP was a mixed bag, yes we had a good time but there were some drawbacks. Their version of space mountain was closed both years in addition to a couple other ongoing ride refurbishments (bummer). Cigarette smoking tends to be a constant activity outdoors in the parks (if that bothers you). The Disney CS restaurants were mediocre at best and the higher end restaurants were pricey ($65 per person, again exchange rate) for a family of four. We ended up eating at their version of Downtown Disney (Earl of Sandwich, etc).

The language barrier wasn't a problem at the parks as everyone we encountered spoke English. Even outside the parks in Paris it usually wasn't a problem. We traveled through western and central France with very few language issues (we spoke a little French, enough to be dangerous).

Lastly, I'm not trying to tell you how to run your trip but...... for the love of all things holy, GO INTO PARIS (if you have never been), it's awesome with a capital A! It's made for anniversaries! (Sorry about that, we loved traveling to France and are in the early stages of planning a trip to Europe next summer):)

JoeATC

Thank you for your time in composing this.

Normally when we vacation with our kids we rent properties. I do know that is most often the best value. We are leaning toward a hotel this trip because we don't plan to be there very much.
The Euro rate right now is very favorable. It is bringing some of the onsite properties into budget (when booked via another countries' website).

I need to read up on the trains. That is very intimidating to me.

I am taking to heart much of what I read about the poor quality of food at DLR. How disappointing.

I visited the Rockfeller Center this summer and felt like I was in the New York Hotel.

Theming and atmosphere of the lake hotels is top-notch compared compared to the Cheyenne and Santa Fe. It's worth every penny. If you can benefit from a nice offer, go for it!

Disclosure: my wife and I are both French and living in Paris. We have a trip this Halloween to the New York Hotel, that we bought on the UK site. Thanks to the UK promotion and the brexit, it was incredibly cheap!

I'm simply blown away by the savings available if booking via Irish or English websites vs US.

Is this legit?

Also - the difference makes both Newport & NY affordable for our anniversary. Are either of those markedly nicer than Cheyenne? I realize much is subjective, but are the hotels considerably better appointed?

(FYI I live in western NY. I have rarely ever visited NYC. The fact there is an NYC themed hotel makes me chuckle.)

Yes, completely legit. I've booked this way myself as have many others.

Newport and HNY are both nearer the parks and are 4 star rated. Both are situated right at the end of Disney Village, Newport slightly further away than HNY which is our choice, approx 5-7 minutes walk to the park. I generally go to the park for EMH at 8am then wander back to the hotel for breakfast. Hot items are served for breakfast too which is a bonus. Newport has recently been refurbed and is looking nice although not stayed there myself. HNY is like our second home, lol. I have info on the hotel within my trip reports linked on my signature and on the hotel sticky page.

Yes, completely legit. I've booked this way myself as have many others.

Newport and HNY are both nearer the parks and are 4 star rated. Both are situated right at the end of Disney Village, Newport slightly further away than HNY which is our choice, approx 5-7 minutes walk to the park. I generally go to the park for EMH at 8am then wander back to the hotel for breakfast. Hot items are served for breakfast too which is a bonus. Newport has recently been refurbed and is looking nice although not stayed there myself. HNY is like our second home, lol. I have info on the hotel within my trip reports linked on my signature and on the hotel sticky page.

I had not yet ventured to the hotel sticky page. I am only recently considering on site (your suggestion above). Thank you for pointing me in the direction of your trip reports.

Interesting about hot breakfasts not being the norm.

Hi M2n2,

JoeATC

@JoeATC - how many days did you spend in the parks. Do you feel like you got to experience everything you wanted to do? The draw of EMH is what has me considering on site.

@JoeATC - how many days did you spend in the parks. Do you feel like you got to experience everything you wanted to do? The draw of EMH is what has me considering on site.

@momof2n2

2014 - DLP was our first stop, arrived CDG 9:30AM (overnight flight via Chicago) took a bus to the hotel (there was a train strike, a few were still running but the schedule was unreliable). Went to the park until about 3:30 and had to go back to the hotel and nap for 2-3 hours (slept very little on the flight over). Returned to the park about 7:00PM. Spent 3 more days between the two parks using our AP's.

2015 - DLP, arrived from London about 2:30, spent a half day in the park plus 2 more days (our AP's expired on the last day).

If you have a park hopper, 3 days should be sufficient time between the two parks. We used a few fast passes but our touring style was fairly casual (not commando). During mid June the parks didn't appear too packed, maybe a 6 on a scale of 10 (French schools were still in session). Most waits were in the 15-30 minute range with the exception of Crush (45 minutes +, loaded slowly) and Ratatouille (rode late in the day). IIRC, our AP's included EMH but we only used it a couple times, arriving 15-30 minutes after it started. I felt the DLP side could be toured in one day and HS side in half a day, maybe longer based on wait times and touring styles. Add in a third day and you should get your fill.

Here's a website (you may already have it) that contains some good info:
http://www.dlpguide.com/calendar/

JoeATC

Last edited:
To add:

I just looked at the tickets on the dlpguide website and they show an adult 4 day PH ticket for 174e versus a Fantasy Annual Pass for 179e. So for 5 euros more, you can get discounts on food/merchandise/hotel rooms plus EMH. The downside is the Fantasy AP has some blackout dates. Example May 2016 shows the 7th and the 15th as blackout dates (2017 dates are not yet published). The AP may be a lot better deal (assuming the website is up to date).

I have a sneaking suspicion they'll publish May 2017 blackouts early October at the same time they release the new room price grid

How would one go about buying the AP when one lives stateside? I keep reading about having to buy it in person; is that the only option?

I'm planning a trip for right around the same time; my schedule has me going to DLP only three days but sometime soon I'll need to do a breakdown of all my options for three days versus four, AP versus hoppers, offsite versus onsite, etc. I'd done some initial test reservations on the US site a few months back to get ballpark figures for my savings goal (figured it was good to have the higher numbers in my initial budget); it'll be interesting to run it through a few different countries' sites and see how much it varies. It's killing me that I don't have exact dates nailed down yet (I'm one of those Disney planning types who wants things set more than half a year out), but I'm trying to coordinate things to spend part of my trip with a friend in Norway and she's not in a position to give me the exact dates she's available yet. :/

How far out do you folks generally book your DLP trips? With my WDW trips it's basically always been "as far out as possible," with the option of rebooking if better promotions pop up.

"How would one go about buying the AP when one lives stateside? I keep reading about having to buy it in person; is that the only option?"

I ran into this problem in 2014. I came across a French website (early 2014) that let you order and ship the AP's to the U.S. but it was discontinued before I ever had a chance to order. The other websites (UK, Ireland, etc.) made you enter a postal address in those countries in order to have them mailed. I could never find an easy workaround to the postal address problem. (This begs the question, how do I get the AP hotel room discount if I don't have an AP yet? Plan a second trip, I guess:))

What I ended up doing was purchasing a one day pass ahead of time (email paper voucher) and upgrading to AP's inside DLP at the customer service office near the castle. In 2014, Disney had a special offer (Offre Parrainage) where a current AP holder could "sponsor" new AP holders and receive an extra 3 months added to their AP. We then received a 15% (I believe) discount on our AP's (win/win situation). There used to be a thread on this board trying to link current holders with future holders to benefit from the offer. We found a couple from the UK and coordinated our arrival and made things work. It took us about 30-40 minutes to upgrade the four of us. We needed to bring our passports for the upgrade, they then took our pictures (and money), issued the AP's and we were set. There is a reference to this offer at the bottom of the dlp webpage below.

http://www.dlpguide.com/planning/booking/annual-passports/

Take note of some the pitfalls of AP purchases/upgrades (only upgrading from a 1 day pass or, the "Classic" passports cannot be used on the two days following purchase.)

Here is some info on DLP from mousesaves.com:

http://www.mousesavers.com/other-disney-vacations/discounts-at-disneyland-resort-paris/#tickets

Isn't planning fun?

JoeATC

Last edited:
"How would one go about buying the AP when one lives stateside? I keep reading about having to buy it in person; is that the only option?"

I ran into this problem in 2014. I came across a French website (early 2014) that let you order and ship the AP's to the U.S. but it was discontinued before I ever had a chance to order. The other websites (UK, Ireland, etc.) made you enter a postal address in those countries in order to have them mailed. I could never find an easy workaround to the postal address problem.

What I ended up doing was purchasing a one day pass ahead of time (email paper voucher) and upgrading to AP's inside DLP at the customer service office near the castle. In 2014, Disney had a special offer (Offre Parrainage) where a current AP holder could "sponsor" new AP holders and receive an extra 3 months added to their AP. We then received a 15% (I believe) discount on our AP's (win/win situation). There used to be a thread on this board trying to link current holders with future holders to benefit from the offer. We found a couple from the UK and coordinated our arrival and made things work. It took us about 30-40 minutes to upgrade the four of us. We needed to bring our passports for the upgrade, they then took our pictures (and money), issued the AP's and we were set. There is a reference to this offer at the bottom of the dlp webpage below.

Take note of some the pitfalls of AP purchases/upgrades (only upgrading from a 1 day pass or the "Classic" passports cannot be used on the two days following purchase.)

http://www.mousesavers.com/other-disney-vacations/discounts-at-disneyland-resort-paris/#tickets

Isn't planning fun?

JoeATC
[/QUOTE]

No. Sometimes it's not fun. :p

I like to have everything in my hands before I go. Too much could go wrong before hand. AND I read somewhere in these boards (maybe AP sponsor thread) prices are rumored to go up Nov 1. I'd prefer to be locked in.

I ran into this problem in 2014. I came across a French website (early 2014) that let you order and ship the AP's to the U.S. but it was discontinued before I ever had a chance to order. The other websites (UK, Ireland, etc.) made you enter a postal address in those countries in order to have them mailed. I could never find an easy workaround to the postal address problem. (This begs the question, how do I get the AP hotel room discount if I don't have an AP yet? Plan a second trip, I guess:))

Take note of some the pitfalls of AP purchases/upgrades (only upgrading from a 1 day pass or, the "Classic" passports cannot be used on the two days following purchase.)

Isn't planning fun?

JoeATC

No. Sometimes it's not fun. :p

I like to have everything in my hands before I go. Too much could go wrong before hand. AND I read somewhere in these boards (maybe AP sponsor thread) prices are rumored to go up Nov 1. I'd prefer to be locked in.

Hrf, agreed! If the AP were to offer really huge savings I might do this, but to be quite honest this sounds much more difficult and stressful than it's worth to me.

Just to clarify, you can buy the one day pass in advance and upgrade to an AP at DLP. The sponsorship benefit was optional (it just happened to work for us). I completely understand, sometimes you just say the heck with it, I'll book the package deal and be done with it.

I'm a retired Air Traffic Controller, I like stress, :crazy2:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter