Planning a first deluxe trip....

autismgoesdisney

DIS Veteran
I think I've slightly gone Disney crazy! Just got back last week from disney and already dreaming about our next Disney trip in 2013.

My daughter stepped into AKL and was absolutely in love so I am now thinking a beautiful surprise would be a deluxe. THE ONLY WAY we could make this happen though is with 40% off. Does anyone know when they usually come out with those? Do they every year?

Also, which deluxe would you recommend for us....my kids LOVE AKL, however I am pretty sure that we would stay the cheapest way possible. Basically since we are a family of five this would probably mean two standard rooms (advice on that, what is the cheapest way for a family of five to stay at a deluxe?) SO if you didn't upgrade at all, which resort would you choose? Does one like AKL lose its magic if your not in the savanah view room?

Thanks so much!

You can check on mousesavers.com for historic data about when discounts come out.

You can also look on the discount codes and rates board for more info.

I think I've slightly gone Disney crazy! Just got back last week from disney and already dreaming about our next Disney trip in 2013.

My daughter stepped into AKL and was absolutely in love so I am now thinking a beautiful surprise would be a deluxe. THE ONLY WAY we could make this happen though is with 40% off. Does anyone know when they usually come out with those? Do they every year?

Also, which deluxe would you recommend for us....my kids LOVE AKL, however I am pretty sure that we would stay the cheapest way possible. Basically since we are a family of five this would probably mean two standard rooms (advice on that, what is the cheapest way for a family of five to stay at a deluxe?) SO if you didn't upgrade at all, which resort would you choose? Does one like AKL lose its magic if your not in the savanah view room?

Thanks so much!

For 2013, you most likely won't see anything as far as discounts until late 2012. I received 40% off a deluxe for my vacation this year(booked in January, going in 20 days) I did not receive an email or post card, but when I called, I asked the cast member if I had a pin attached to my name and sure enough, I did!!:cool1: I think the 2 cheapest (price) deluxe resorts are AKL and WL. I am positive though that the WL does not allow 5 to a room. I believe all of the others will allow 5 though(as long as the room consists of a sleeper sofa) I personally choose the Polynesian for location, the "feel" and the monorail. The CM there are so nice and you truly feel like your in paradise!

My advice for you to go the cheapest way possible, is to book during Value season with a 40% off discount, though depending on your kids ages, you may save more money with FD (if you use the DP) since rooms are pretty reasonable during value season(disney reasonable that is:rotfl:)

look into renting points and stay in a one or two bedroom villa!! we absolutely loved kidani village--plus there you get an extra bathroom!! i think having everyone stay together would be amazing. this may be better than 40% off!!

I think the poly sleeps 5 (2 queens + daybed), would that work better than two rooms?

Someone correct me if I am wrong...

Have you considered renting DVC points? As an example, you could get a 1BR(most sleep up to 5) Savannah View, during Choice Season for around $300/night. It would be less if you decided on 2-Studios or if you were flexible when you go. Also, there are no taxes that you would need to pay on top of a room rate.

Any of the deluxe resorts (with the exception of WL and AKL) accommodate 5 people :). I know all rooms at the Poly and CR come with a daybed, with the GF, BC/YC, BWI only having some rooms with daybeds, but chances are pretty good that you would get a room with a daybed since there are 5 of you. WL and AKL would both require you to get 2 rooms as those only accommodate up to 4 people. We stayed 2 nights at AKL last December in a pool view room and we loved it. I've also stayed in a savannah view and while that was nice, there are so many other places to view the animals that I don't think a savannah room is a must, but that's just my opinion ;). I agree with the others that you might want to look into renting points for a 1 bedroom villa (which I think the ones at Kidani accommodate 5....hopefully someone will come along to confirm or correct me on that). If you rent points from someone whose home resort is AKL, you can book 11 months out....otherwise, it's 7 months out. Good luck :wizard:.

dvcrequest is the way we went. only way we could stay at akl with our budget

saved nearly a grand renting points

We have stayed Savannah view and Standard(parking lot view). While the Savannah view is especially nice, the lodge is incredible and the rooms are so nice, that I got over not seeing animals out of my window.

LOVE:lovestrucLOVE:lovestrucLOVE the AKL.

You will not be missing anything grand if you stay in a cheaper room. Actually, you might see more by spending time viewing from the public areas.

I noticed the age of your children. Would you let them out on a balconey w/o an adult and spend 10/15 minutes alone? They might want to be out there all the time.:upsidedow

By going to the public areas everytime you leave and return back to the lodge- you'll get all the viewing time you want.

We booked a standard view at AKL, while my DM booked a savanah view. We were upgraded to pool view, across the hall from DM's room. I really liked the pool view. The AKL pool at night is beautiful. One of our favorite things to do was sit at night and talk about our day, what we are going to do tomorrow and just relax. My DM loved her savanah view, but they also stayed at the hotel quite a bit, slept in, ate lunch in their room. They used their savanah view a lot during the day. We did not use our balcony during the day very much, so missing the savanah view was not very important to us. The view at night of the pool was better for us than the savanah at night. I would book a pool view if at all possible, the rooms have great location and are close to Mara and the lobby. AKL can be pretty spread out and long corridors.

If you could afford it, we LOVED the Poly. The rooms are huge with a lovely day bed that is very comfy for your 5th person. We stayed Niue, 1st floor. The patio's are very large and give even more space to an already big room. Niue is steps from the GCH and pools.

Keep looking for discounts, we had a PIN for 40% off our room for the Poly and was worth every penny.

I hope you get your wish. We stayed AKL CL this year and Poly CL last year and both were amazing in their own way. I will only stay Poly CL but will only choose AKL CL if its needed for the one of the safari's. It was SO hot -- we never used the balcony -- and barely touched the lounge at AKL. I could stay at AKL pool view just fine. :goodvibes

Does AKL get 40% off discounts anymore? I think I have only seen 25% - 30% off for AKL and Wilderness Lodge recently because they are less expensive than the other Deluxe resorts - Unless of course you get a PIN...I could be wrong though. :)

The most affordable Deluxe resorts are the lodges -

Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge

For both it's a location thing (all of the other Deluxe resorts are adjacent to a park (BWI, BC, YC, Poly, GF, and Contemporary)- and for AKL it is a capacity thing (it is a HUGE resort) I believe it is the LARGEST Deluxe resort - so the inventory is much larger, even at peak time often you an get a standard view at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

A friends of our had booked Coronado Springs for their honeymoon, but when the early summer discount came out this year, it ended up being cheaper for them to do a Standard View room at AKL - so of course they went Deluxe!

I just stayed at WL back in August (my first time deluxe) and I'm already planning another trip next June at WL!! My mom and I thought it was beautiful and even my dad was impressed. I vote for WL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter