Planning 1st WDW trip and torn between resorts.

Hi, Shannon!

You are going to get a lot of different opinions on what to do, but I wanted to chime in about AoA and the busses.

We were there in January this year. The busses were running pretty constantly. The only time we had much of a wait was first thing in the morning for the very first bus of the day, and I think even then the longest we waited was 10 minutes. The bus rides aren't that long, 10-15 minutes. Our kids (8,5, and 4 at the time) loved riding the busses!

I think your kids would love the theming of AoA. If you are looking at the standard rooms, that would be Little Mermaid. My daughter (5) would have been over the moon to stay there! But we are a family of 5, so we were limited to the suites. We did LK, but are doing Cars next. It's really a great resort!!

I thought there was a good chance that there would be construction going on at the Poly in 2014. I'd not want to pay $400-500 per night and deal w/ construction. The Poly is convenient to MK and Epcot as you can monorail or boat to the MK and walk over to the TTC and monorail to Epcot.
The CR is the only resort where you can walk to and from MK - so if convenience is important then it is the most convenient to the MK. You might explore renting points at CR's sister resort - BLT if the location appeals to you.
It's really all about budget, a stay at a deluxe will cost triple in terms of room cost compared to a stay at a value. As others have mentioned WL is a great less expensive deluxe option.
Personally w/ children that young I'd stay in a value and save the money on the room maybe even using that $1000-2000 towards a return trip in 2 years - if you're like many of us on DIS you'll decide you want to return to WDW sooner than you planned.

You are going to have a great time no matter where you stay! We stayed at the WL in a bunkbed room when our boys were 3 & 5 (because we had an amazing discount), and they loved the bunk beds. We've stayed at the Pop every time since then (though we LOVE the WL and stayed there on our Honeymoon....it's just not in our budget these days), and the boys loved all the great theme items all around! We visited AoA last year, and it is VERY fun with all the decorations. I think from an impact on the kids side of things, that's your way to go. So cute! But if you stay closer to the MK with a monorail or boat ride to MK that will be a different kind of fun. You really can't lose!

Have a great time!!!

Has anyone stayed in a Finding Nemo suite at AoA? I was initially thinking of going that route so my parents can stay in the room with us if they come. But after talking to a Disney consultant I am thinking that may be a little too cramped. DH is 6'1" and my dad is 6'3" and a big guy. A standard room at WL is only $100 more than a suite at AoA. Are there any non-suite standard rooms in the Finding Nemo area at AoA or are they only in Little Mermaid area?

We drive down to disney every year and we prefer to drive to the parks . Just better for us and we find it faster. I like knowing I can leave when I want.

Has anyone stayed in a Finding Nemo suite at AoA? I was initially thinking of going that route so my parents can stay in the room with us if they come. But after talking to a Disney consultant I am thinking that may be a little too cramped. DH is 6'1" and my dad is 6'3" and a big guy. A standard room at WL is only $100 more than a suite at AoA. Are there any non-suite standard rooms in the Finding Nemo area at AoA or are they only in Little Mermaid area?

No, unfortunately the only standard rooms are in the Little Mermaid section.

smelton521 said:
We have stayed in a nemo suite, though all suites are the same size. My DH is 6' 2" And survived. I would think two taller adults would make it, but it would be cramped. It would be cheaper and more room for everyone to get two LM rooms. You don't have a suite, but more bed space and privacy. Otherwise the cabins at FW maybe a good option??

we have done magic kingdom resorts and okw, akl which are farther away. never done a value although we did rely heavily on buses at non-magic kingdom resorts.

i think it is very much worth it to stay on the monorail with little kids. when we go these days we are almost exclusively at the magic kingdom. especially if this is going to be the one visit while they are little i would stay at the Polynesian if its in the budget.

If you have access to a car I would use it and forget about the buses. Why stand holding small children on crowded buses when you can drive quicker and straight there. It also makes the nap trips easier and means you can have lunch at other resorts.

Personally we find the values a bit chaotic and crowded and would prefer to stay at least at a moderate. A monorail resort would be the ultimate if you can swing it. With little children i would stay at the contemporary if I could.

If you can, stay on the monorail loop with kids!! It is worth the $$$$ if you can afford it. The CR wing rooms are great because they are a little less expensive but get you on that monorail line or even walking distance to the MK!!!

If the prices in the monorail hotels is prohibitive (and it looks like they will be for us if they keep going up!), then the WL is another close by option.

As many otheres have stated, being near the MK is important and using a car to go to the MK not as good as using Disney transportation. Indeed one of the big advantages of staying inside Disney is the use of Disney trsnsportation to the MK, IMHO.

Staying in AoA is great and the theming is exciting for kids, but it is a bus ride with children and strollers so not quite as easy or convenient as the monorail or boats, IMHO, and NOT inexpensive for those suites!

In the end, though, all these are Disney resorts, so you will have a great stay in any of them. WDW is wonderful! Enjoy your trip!

We stayed at AoA Cars suite last October for two nights and then switched to a suite at Wilderness Lodge.

We FAR preferred the convenience of WL.

The buses at AoA weren't horrible, but the bus-stop is a HIKE from really any section of the hotel. The QS restaurant is a ZOO. We went at a non-peak time and still found it to be nearly unbearable to try to manage ordering, juggling multiple trays and corralling our twins. Add in the echo-chamber noise of that big cafeteria and it was not fun.

The room itself was great (loved having two bathrooms), plenty big, comfy and the pools were fun, as well as the kiddie splashground.

BUT, WL was just SO NICE. We were in a Club Level suite, so I know that contributes to our warm-fuzzy feelings, but it was just all so much more serene and relaxing than AoA. We used a stroller and were able to roll it onto the ferry to MK. The bus-stop was convenient for AK. We ate at Chef Mickey's and California Grill, and taking the ferry to CR was great and the boys loved it. The pool is great AND they have a kiddie pool (not really a consideration for your kids) AND two hot-tubs (the Poly does not have either of those things) and again, it was just much more laid-back and relaxing than AoA.

We're going back in September and staying in a 1bdroom WL Villa this time. Chose it above either Poly Club Level or CR Club Level or Bay Lake Tower Villa. Once we are spending full-days in the parks (when the kiddos are older) we will probably try a Poly room since separating from the kids to get them to sleep earlier won't be an issue. I like the idea of the CR on the monorail and all, but the theming is just blah and the pools are all boring to me. Maybe when the kids are teenagers and we aren't as into the "magic".

As a PP said, the only standard rooms are LM.

My DH is 6'3" and was comfortable in the master bed in our suite (LK not FN, but the suites are all the same configuration). He also tried out the sofa bed, and said it was fine. I don't think he would have been good with the murphy bed though. It might feel a little tight with 4 adults and 2 kids if you are in the room to nap or something like that. We were fine with 2 adults and 3 kids, but didn't spend a lot of time in the room. You might be better off with 2 LM standard rooms, hoping for adjoining, than with a suite if you are going to spend much time in the room. For sleeping, though, you'd probably be OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter