Planking?

I cannot take anyone seriously who whines that this (planking) is disrepectful to the memory of slaves. There are many things that actually DO that. But this is just a bunch of silly people doing a stupid, but sometimes funny thing.

Amen!

Perhaps we are dismissive of it because we think it's ridiculous to make ANY connection at all between what is a silly, USUALLY harmless youthful prank (often performed by drunks) and the maltreatment of slaves on slaves ships. There is no racist intent and no connection, conscious or otherwise, to slavery, period. As someone said, it is similar to stupid pranks of the past such as eating goldfish and cramming as many people as you could into a phone booth or a van. Gee, I wonder if when they crammed all those frat boys into a van if they were being disrespectful to concentration camp survivors???? NOPE, they were just being young and stupid. Trying to make more of it than it is, is the very thing that makes people tune you out when you finally DO make a valid point. They have grown so tired of the race card (or in this case, would it be the slave card?) being played when it's simply NOT appropriate that when it actually IS appropriate, all they hear is Charlie Brown's teacher. Wah wah wah wah wah. It's like crying wolf. It's counterproductive.

I cannot take anyone seriously who whines that this (planking) is disrepectful to the memory of slaves. There are many things that actually DO that. But this is just a bunch of silly people doing a stupid, but sometimes funny thing.

BRAVO!! :thumbsup2

I'm being dismissive of a silly remark. Comparing stupid teenagers laying flat on the edge of something to the heinous period of our history that is slavery is ludicrous. It demeans their suffering to compare it to something so frivolous.

Well that's kinda what I was thinking. Then again some folks search high and low for every little thing under the sun to get their panties bunched about. :confused3

I have a few FB friends who plank. A couple families I know do it, but they post pretty tame poses (ie on top of picnic tables, on a dumpster, at the lake, etc). As for it being "dumb", well I will just say it doesn't interest me -just like posting on a Disney discussion board doesn't interest others. The may even say it was dumb and a waste of time.

Because CLEARLY the young adults doing this "planking" are mocking slavery...

Ok. I get it now. They didn't intend any harm, so it's ok. Gotcha. So, if I use the woRd retard but not in a mocking manner, then it's cool. Maybe I should start a trend of taking pictures in wheelchairs. Thanks for clarifying that.

Ok. I get it now. They didn't intend any harm, so it's ok. Gotcha. So, if I use the woRd retard but not in a mocking manner, then it's cool. Maybe I should start a trend of taking pictures in wheelchairs. Thanks for clarifying that.

Please explain to me how the activity people call "planking" is in any way related to slavery?

I would really like to hear your explanation.

Please explain to me how the activity people call "planking" is in any way related to slavery?

I would really like to hear your explanation.

I NEVER said it was, but I don't begrudge those that are offended. It's amazing that people are offended by people being offended. :confused3 :rotfl: There is a lot that I don't understand. I am black, but not gay, autistic, a Jew, or part of any other group of people that feel disparaged. I don't know what it feels like to be any of those people, therefore I won't comment on something that makes a person feel offended, no matter how silly I think it is. But, obviously, everyone doesn't feel the same as I do. Now I must go cry.

I NEVER said it was, but I don't begrudge those that are offended. It's amazing that people are offended by people being offended. :confused3 :rotfl: There is a lot that I don't understand. I am black, but not gay, autistic, a Jew, or part of any other group of people that feel disparaged. I don't know what it feels like to be any of those people, therefore I won't comment on something that makes a person feel offended, no matter how silly I think it is. But, obviously, everyone doesn't feel the same as I do. Now I must go cry.

I'm offended that they are comparing planking to slavery. Are you begrudging me that?

Really?:lmao::sad2:

Actually, it IS okay to use the word "retard" in a non-mocking manner. Who would take offense to that? Have you ever looked up the actual, non-mocking meaning on the word retard?

And nobody is spray painting themselves brown and taking pictures of themselves planked on boats like African slaves. THAT would be offensive. What you are saying is offensive is like comparing apples to oranges.

Actually, it IS okay to use the word "retard" in a non-mocking manner. Who would take offense to that? Have you ever looked up the actual, non-mocking meaning on the word retard?

And nobody is spray painting themselves brown and taking pictures of themselves planked on boats like African slaves. THAT would be offensive. What you are saying is offensive is like comparing apples to oranges.

Ok.

Rosario Dawson just planked on Chelsea Lately. I found it ironic since she's got a bit of African American in her.

I thought it fit this thread. Thought I'd share! :thumbsup2

Ok because of this thread I did some research...turns out planking was good for something!

http://www.thegrio.com/news/is-planking-harmless-fun-or-fundamentally-offensive.php?page=1

http://www.history.ac.uk/1807commemorated/exhibitions/museums/brookes.html

http://www.dur.ac.uk/durham.first/winter07/slaveship/

This is the picture everyone is so up in arms about--the one that has people screaming slavery.

planking4.jpg

But what if it was this picture?

planking2-1.jpg

Or this one? What then??

planking3.jpg

plank   /plæŋk/ Show Spelled
[plangk] Show IPA

–noun
1. a long, flat piece of timber, thicker than a board.
2. lumber in such pieces; planking.
3. something to stand on or to cling to for support.
4. any one of the stated principles or objectives comprising the political platform of a party campaigning for election: They fought for a plank supporting a nuclear freeze.
–verb (used with object)
5. to lay, cover, or furnish with planks.
6. to bake or broil and serve (steak, fish, chicken, etc.) on a wooden board.
7. plunk ( def. 2 ) .
—Idiom
8. walk the plank,
a. to be forced, as by pirates, to walk to one's death by stepping off a plank extending from the ship's side over the water.
b. to relinquish something, as a position, office, etc., under compulsion: We suspect that the new vice-president walked the plank because of a personality clash.

My take on it. Yes slaves were made to lay on planks(read...boards) but they laid face up...you would too if you were going to be laying in urine and feces. And while it wasn't right what they went thru for people to even try to compare that to this is wrong.

If anyone should be offended it's dead people. This is their signature move. They've got this down to a science and have since the first man walked the earth. And now suddenly people think it's cool so they want to gank on their plank. :sad2:

You know.....I'd be hardpressed to ever take a rapper seriously or give what they say any credence whatsoever. Ridiculous statements such as this are a major reason why. That is one seriously tenuous streeeeeeeeeetch. :rolleyes1

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Perhaps we are dismissive of it because we think it's ridiculous to make ANY connection at all between what is a silly, USUALLY harmless youthful prank (often performed by drunks) and the maltreatment of slaves on slaves ships. There is no racist intent and no connection, conscious or otherwise, to slavery, period. As someone said, it is similar to stupid pranks of the past such as eating goldfish and cramming as many people as you could into a phone booth or a van. Gee, I wonder if when they crammed all those frat boys into a van if they were being disrespectful to concentration camp survivors???? NOPE, they were just being young and stupid. Trying to make more of it than it is, is the very thing that makes people tune you out when you finally DO make a valid point. They have grown so tired of the race card (or in this case, would it be the slave card?) being played when it's simply NOT appropriate that when it actually IS appropriate, all they hear is Charlie Brown's teacher. Wah wah wah wah wah. It's like crying wolf. It's counterproductive.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Anybody else getting a craving for chicken planks from Long John Silver's?:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter