Planking?

Just when I think that the human race cannot get any more stupid, they rally and prove me wrong.

It's right up there with goldfish eating and cramming multiple people in a phone booth.

Oh well, as long as they don't do anything too dangerous and do no harm...I guess they could be doing worse things, but really it makes me feel like we went one notch to high in evolution. Apes have too much dignity to do that.

I don't really think it is funny, but bless youur heart if you do.

Which, incidentally, is exactly how I feel about the movie Napoleon Dynamite.

Is that why my college aged son has a picture of himself laying face down on the edge of a city fountain as his facebook picture?:lmao: What a dork. I'll have to tell him he's being insulting to slaves. I'm sure he didn't realize.:rolleyes1

You know.....I'd be hardpressed to ever take a rapper seriously or give what they say any credence whatsoever. Ridiculous statements such as this are a major reason why. That is one seriously tenuous streeeeeeeeeetch. :rolleyes1

Maybe to you, but not to some people who have ancestors that were on the ships. I'm not saying that slaves were "planked" because I wasn't there, but there are some that say they were. BTW, I think planking is stupid. We have people trying to outdo each other and are putting themselves in dangerous situations like this.
795b77ee.png

Is that why my college aged son has a picture of himself laying face down on the edge of a city fountain as his facebook picture?:lmao: What a dork. I'll have to tell him he's being insulting to slaves. I'm sure he didn't realize.:rolleyes1

Don't do that. You're being dismissive of something you don't understand. If it doesn't bother you, why dismiss someone else's concerns?

Perhaps we are dismissive of it because we think it's ridiculous to make ANY connection at all between what is a silly, USUALLY harmless youthful prank (often performed by drunks) and the maltreatment of slaves on slaves ships. There is no racist intent and no connection, conscious or otherwise, to slavery, period. As someone said, it is similar to stupid pranks of the past such as eating goldfish and cramming as many people as you could into a phone booth or a van. Gee, I wonder if when they crammed all those frat boys into a van if they were being disrespectful to concentration camp survivors???? NOPE, they were just being young and stupid. Trying to make more of it than it is, is the very thing that makes people tune you out when you finally DO make a valid point. They have grown so tired of the race card (or in this case, would it be the slave card?) being played when it's simply NOT appropriate that when it actually IS appropriate, all they hear is Charlie Brown's teacher. Wah wah wah wah wah. It's like crying wolf. It's counterproductive.

I cannot take anyone seriously who whines that this (planking) is disrepectful to the memory of slaves. There are many things that actually DO that. But this is just a bunch of silly people doing a stupid, but sometimes funny thing.

I think planking is idiotic. People are dying to one up each other. It's nothing new either. It was very common during the African slave trade when slaves where stacked on planks in slave ships. What fun :rolleyes:

Planking has been put into the spotlight recently by some Rap stars for its comparison with the "stacking" or "planking" of African American slaves en route to the US. I personally do not see the relation, except for the name. :confused:

So should we do away with auctions and ship travel too? :rolleyes:
The things people blow out of proportion and have to scream racism about is outstanding.

Did someone just compare a silly facebook trend to the slave trade? I thought...hoped?...I maybe just dreamed it.

***checking***

Nope. That was for real.

Anyhooo...I hear this got started in Australia and is quite the phenomenon.

Only on the Dis

There was apparently a furor in Britain (or maybe it was Australia and just covered in Britain) when a story came out about a picture of a 14 year old kid doing this planking thing - on a railroad track.

I tend to recall the words of Otis T. Wren - "Here's a picture of you looking stupid." But if they aren't endangering themselves, big whoop.

Maybe to you, but not to some people who have ancestors that were on the ships. I'm not saying that slaves were "planked" because I wasn't there, but there are some that say they were.

Yeah, so. I had relatives killed during the Holocaust. :confused3 I wonder if there's something I could get offended over. Hmmm...... maybe we should do away with cremating people since my descendants were sent to crematoriums. Or maybe we should get rid of showers. After all, that's how they were gassed.

See how silly that sounds. :rotfl::rotfl:

Wow, this is the first I've heard of this. Haven't seen anyone on my facebook doing it either. I guess I need some more "hip" friends.

I could swear though that the one of the guy over the fridge is my sister's boyfriend. :lmao:

Don't do that. You're being dismissive of something you don't understand. If it doesn't bother you, why dismiss someone else's concerns?

I'm being dismissive of a silly remark. Comparing stupid teenagers laying flat on the edge of something to the heinous period of our history that is slavery is ludicrous. It demeans their suffering to compare it to something so frivolous.

Lighten up, Francis. :rolleyes1

Granted, some of the people doing this are idiots who take it to the extreme, but likening it to the transportation methods and practices of the slave trade? That's quite a stretch.

Love the Stripes reference.:thumbsup2

Hope you are not wearing any jewelry like bracelets and chains; someone might link those to slavery as well.

I cannot take anyone seriously who whines that this (planking) is disrepectful to the memory of slaves. There are many things that actually DO that. But this is just a bunch of silly people doing a stupid, but sometimes funny thing.

Amen.:worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter